August 27, 2013

thrifting adventures -- it was maui dropping us a hint. a nudge. to get our butts over there stat.

just when we thought that we weren't going to bring home a neat thrift find at a goodwill store in herndon, va, i decided to take a good look at this sign that was buried under a bunch of other home decorations. i passed by it three times and was too lazy to rummage through, but something nagged my heart to just go over and take a look. and boy was i glad those heartstrings of mine were a tuggin.

when the words "my other home is in maui" stared back at me, i knew this was meant for our home. 

i've talked about this many times before and have blogged about here {as well as on my former, now demised blog}, but yangkyu and i fell in love with maui when we first went in 2010 -- she has sort of stolen our hearts and hasn't given it back to us quite yet. and we take everything for a sign. like this. when we come across things like this, we think it's maui giving us a sign to meet her there.

while we're still dreaming of sunshine, in the meantime, i'll be finding a space for this sign to hang in our little home. it'll serve as a good reminder of the unforgettable time we had there and the wonderful people we got to meet along the way. 

happy thrifting! 

17 comments

  1. what a lovely find. i love it you put it by the window until you find the perfect spot to hang it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maui is so pretty! I haven't been in years and my fiance has never traveled to Hawaii so it's on our bucket list to do it together sometime in the near future! Piri looks so sweet staring at the sign, looks like she's ready to see what Maui is all about too :)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well then that is the perfect choice for you and a wonderful purchase!

    Ali of

    Dressing Ken

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sign sounds like the perfect addition to your home and your hearts! xx Kat
    Love and Ace

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such an AWESOME find, Jane! I'm also really happy that you have been to Maui and love it - it's a beautiful island! I'm originally from O'ahu, Hawaii but most of my friends are from Maui and I just love it there. I hope that you get to visit again soon! I'm planning a visit home in November :)

    Jessica
    cocoandmingo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been dying to go to hawaii, it's at the very top of my list. I can't wait till we finally make a trip there!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww how awesome! I hope you make it back there soon - Maui is definitely on our travel list :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh! I need a sign like this! I've never been to Hawaii but really dying to, considering how much I love ukuleles....sigh....maybe, someday....The sad thing is that everyone around me seems to go there a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. amazing! it's funny how stuff can sometimes just speak to us huh? hope you guys make it back to maui soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a cute sign. i am new to thrifting since we moved into our new home. i finally get the chance of being able to put a home together and not just a tiny box. love the sign! i am still slowly struggling finding pieces thrift shopping but sooner or later i'll get a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am totally and completely in LOVE with Maui - the trip was so fantastic. You should definitely plan another trip back!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome sign! Great Find!

    http://everythingsalwayssunny.com
    Kristin
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an awesome find! Maui sounds like a great vacation destination, will definitely have to put that one on my list.

    Prir is also rockin' his haircut, such a cutie!

    http://www.dreamerinthecity.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love when you can find "meaninful" art in the thrift store. And I've always wanted to see Maui. Guess we'll just add it to the list.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Always listen to your instincts when thrifting! The sign is perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Winding Ridge Lane . Design by Fearne.