January 3, 2014

floral friday: a new bloom + happy weekend.

hello! this week was a bit of a weird funk no? it really felt like we got two mondays and two fridays with new year's day falling on wednesday. not that i'm complaining! and last night we got dumped with snow so we woke up to quite a sight. 

i have been secretly waiting for today to roll around as quickly as possible because i'm pretty excited for this new photography project created by trishie over at under lock and key called floral fridays. it's a monthly challenge {every first friday of the month} to photograph and write about flowers with a set theme. and appropriately, since this month is all about fresh starts, the first floral friday centers on the theme "a new bloom." 
i was at trader joe's the other day and spotted pots of these beautiful zygo cacti. i usually buy weekly bouquets for our home, and was about to pick up some hydrangeas but something about these made me do a double take. i thought how different they were {i have never cared for them before}, i thought of my upcoming floral friday post {they should be neat to photograph}, i was thinking about 2014 and to new beginnings and this cactus just seemed like the right choice to take home with me. 

i think this cactus represents how i look at the new year. i don't know how the pretty little buds will bloom or what the big picture/whole cactus bloom will look like either, just as i don't know what each day of the year will bring me or what the entire year will look like. and while i may not have the greenest thumb, i am determined to care for it so that it may grow and bloom into a healthy, strong and beautiful cactus flower. i'm sure there may be some browning of petals, but that's kind of like life isn't it? not everything turns out pretty. some days are rougher than others. and while i care for this the best that i can, i certainly will make sure that i nurture myself and our family so that 2014 may turn out to be our best year yet. are you all with me on this? {yes? yes? yes?}

but before i look too far ahead, this weekend i'm hoping to enjoy some time taking photos outdoors and perhaps baking some cookies. yangkyu and i also started exercising last week and hope to continue it throughout the weekend. what are you all up to? hope it's a fun one. 

// Floral Fridays is a monthly photography project with different themes each month. This series is about fun and taking time out to smell the flowers. To play along, please email Trishie (trishie [at] underlockandkeyblog [dot] com) for next month's theme.

 // linkytools is going a little nuts on me so linking up with under lock and key's floral fridays photography project

41 comments

  1. That is beautiful Jane, you're right, we'll nurture ourselves through the year and though we cannot guarantee all our days will be faultless(brown ones), still, we look forward to the future in hopes to see how many pink buds have successfully bloomed! Happy weekends Jane, and good night to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great shot of the cacti, Jane, and love your analogy:) And I'm totally with you in making 2014 the best year yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the Floral Friday at Trishie's blog as well c:
    Got that bookmarked! I still have to recover my
    daily routine as well as I thought today was
    tuesday but its friday! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. this sounds like a fun project! I like your take on the new year...it's very refreshing :). be sure to take some pictures of the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a beautiful idea! (Floral Friday)
    Hope you'll have a wonderful 2014 ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. loving the new series floral friday!
    cheer to best year of 2014 come :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are so right...it was a bit of an odd week. While it was great to have a break, I also had work this week and that definitely felt like two Mondays and two Fridays!
    Have fun baking cookies...I should get back to baking fresh cookies. It was one of the few pastries I never messed up. haha
    xo,
    nancy

    http://www.adoretoadorn.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is one beautiful bloom, jane! i love your fresh take on this plant, and how it reflects to the new beginnings of 2014. i agree with all of your "yes's" :) have a magical weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am with you! this cactus/flower is so pretty, loving the colour, great photography too. loving the idea of this blog series!

    glad you liked my flower painting & hope your exercising plan goes well, starting out moderately sounds like a plan!

    have a lovely weekend too Jane x

    Katrina Sophia Blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh cactus are my favorite! They were our wedding favors :) We are going to have a long weekend as still are on Christmas holidays here in Barcelona, this next Monday there is a tradition called "Reyes Magos" (Magic Kings) that bring presents to kids (haha, and with that we make three people bringing us presents for Christmas, awesome, right? XD)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is one pretty cactus- I'd never heard of it before! I like the idea behind Floral Fridays :) Hope you have a great weekend Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We call them Christmas Cactus and my mom loved them. Beautiful shots, Jane! Love the theme for the photo challenge- looking forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a beautiful plant! Never heard about them before, but now want one. :)
    Happy new year! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great choice of flower. Stunning photos! I hope you, Yangkyu and Piri have a wonderful year in 2014. sparkle2day.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. love the color of the flowers and that the blooms should last you a while! -M

    ReplyDelete
  16. You've got some amazing photography skills. The cactus isn't something I'd normally choose either, but I'm excited to see how it blooms.

    When we are crossing the border, we always drive. DK and I have never had an issue with the border guards and the Canadian ones are much nicer than the American ones in my opinion. They don't question us as much, but that might be because we are going back into our own country. If you guys ever come to Toronto, let me know. DK and I might be able to lend a couch for crashing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Jane, I love everything about this post. The cacti, the photos the analogy and your beautiful way with words. May this be the start of a beautiful year for you x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such beautiful photos and lovely writing to much :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can very much relate to your outlook, and your lack of green thumbs. My husband always laughs when I bring home a new plant, but I have a small collection I have managed to keep alive for a few years and they make me prouder than anything.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, I love this new series! What better person to photograph such beauties as you (no pun intended). I had never heard of these, but I like. I also like your analogy about the blooming of a new year and how some leaves will never grow. We really don't know what the year has in store for all of us, but all we can do is believe and dream. So happy to follow along your blog, as always. Happy weekend to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, I love this new series! What better person to photograph such beauties as you (no pun intended). I had never heard of these, but I like. I also like your analogy about the blooming of a new year and how some leaves will never grow. We really don't know what the year has in store for all of us, but all we can do is believe and dream. So happy to follow along your blog, as always. Happy weekend to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You take such lovely photos! and this cacti would have totally caught my eye as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely post. I totally agree with your analogy about life and plants. We all need to be cared for and nurtured to grow and blossom.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What an adorable cactus, I love them! I also because they're the only kind of plant that survives my 'green thumb' :) And I wish the new year brings you lots of wonderful moments indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, what gorgeous photography - I don't think I've ever seen a cacti look more beautiful! x

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love what you said about the cactus :) I was actually just shopping for a tiny one earlier today. Have a great 2014, Jane!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. love the post and the cactus!
    http://saltskinned.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  28. This seems like a really sweet challenge. I must admit I really like the look of a lot of flowers but know nothing about them. Maybe that's something for me to work on this year, yeah flower names!


    Buckets & Spades

    ReplyDelete
  29. This sounds like such a fun project, and I love the flower/cactus that you chose. How unique! I've never seen one like this before :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think the flower you have chosen is perfect - tis the season for the Christmas cactus! Your photos are gorgeous! Found you via the blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  31. It sounds like a wonderful challenge, Jane! I can't wait to see your flower photos! I love flowers, they brighten up my day. And I think I need to start exercising again. I've been postponing it for so long. I hope your weekend is awesome! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks to you, I felt the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is going to be a very lovely series, I can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Lovely to discover your blog and look forward to seeing more photos of Floral Fridays.
    The cacti flowers are so pretty and loved reading your post.
    Best wishes for a wonderful 2014
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is a beautiful project! I look forward to reading it. I always hit up Trader Joes for new blooms. They have such a great selection!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love the blooms you have picked. Hope you had a wonderful weekend! Great project to start the year. I'll hop on over at Trishie's to check hers out.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Nice analogy between the new cactus and the new year. Cant wait to see more photos and what 2014 will bring!

    ReplyDelete
  38. That has to be one of the prettiest cacti I've ever seen. This project is so much fun.

    Rowena @ rolala loves

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Winding Ridge Lane . Design by Fearne.