February 3, 2014

a day with piri: conversations.

a couple of years ago, piri lost his hearing. yangkyu and i found out when one day we came home and piri, who knows so well the sound of the key turning the lock, was staring out into space instead of greeting us with his "human! i missed you!" wags. we called out to him but we didn't get a response until he turned around and saw us. 

we used to say he was bilingual because he understood words in english and korean. like "na ga ja" means let's go outside and he loved that one. it was his favorite next to "yummy muk ja" which means let's eat something yummy, his treat. he didn't like the word "shampoo" because he knew it meant bath time, which is in the same category as a visit to the vet and groomer. he had a face expression for each word he understood. it was kind of amazing and adorable to see. i used to tease him too, talking to him and mixing in words that he loved and hated because i wanted to see his reactions. the conversations always ended with a treat and a walk and no shampoo time because i felt so bad teasing him.

i still have talks with piri. usually i'll put him on my lap and ask him questions and tell him about anything and everything. and even though he can't hear me, when he stares back with his soulful eyes it's one of the most heartwarming feelings i have ever felt in my life. 

21 comments

  1. This is such a sweet post Jane, I don't think I remember that Piri is deaf. He is lucky to have such great parents, and vice versa. And I'll be he still understands you when you tell him about your days. xx Kat


    Love and Ace

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew Piri is deaf :o but the way you
    are treating him is so loving and warm and
    he's so lucky to have you c: I love 'talking'
    to animals as well haha. They don't
    understand of course but its fun and also
    nice that someone is sorta listening your
    story c: Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! How surprising to know that he no longer hears your voice. Love how you explain it; I'm sure Piri cheerishes a lot the talks with you. Sweet doggie with awesome parents! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a sweet, heart warming post :) I'm glad you decided to bring back your "a day with piri" posts. Looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww that's so sad. I guess that's why he has the same expression in every picture lol. He's so sweet

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww Piri! I bet he still understands exactly what you're saying to him when you have your chats these days :-) I'm glad I'm not the only one who has full conversations with their dog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that is sad, but he knows he is loved. My friend has a dog that is deg too.

    Allie of ALLIE NYC
    allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never knew Piri was deaf, it's sad, but he's a lucky pup because you're a lovely mom!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How sweet, I bet it wasn't easy for him losing his hearing, but at least it's nothing serious that holds him back from being cuddly pup he is!

    pilgrimmemoirs.com
    Memoirs of a Pilgrim

    ReplyDelete
  10. this post touched my heart. piri is so beautiful.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bet even without understanding you, he knows exactly what you're saying. Smart sweet dog, your Piri sure is

    ReplyDelete
  12. My dog was deaf as well! How I miss her...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahh super sad Piri no longer hears your voice but I'm sure their is still as much understanding and love there :) He's one lucky dog to have devoted parents too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had no idea Piri is deaf. His eyes seem very intelligent though. Like he doesn't need to hear words to understand you. HE CAN SEE YOUR SOUL :o

    I talk to Beamer all the time and I swear he understands everything that comes out of my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It makes me sad to know that Piri has lost his hearing. But i'm sure he still loves having conversations with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. even if he can't physically hear you, i am so sure that he is listening and he understands, i really do. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. That picture speaks for itself, beautiful friendship. It must be awful that one day he woke up and couldn't hear :( He is lucky to have you by his side to be his ears.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This made me feel quite sad reading this, wondering what's going on up top and hoping he is happy. You guys love him very much and that makes everything better again.

    Buckets & Spades

    ReplyDelete
  19. awwww I am sure he understands you just fine! It's all about showing how much you care more than the talking <3

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just because he can't hear you doesn't mean he can't understand you. Pretty sure you guys have a VERY strong bond.

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Winding Ridge Lane . Design by Fearne.