February 7, 2014

floral friday: something romantic.

when i was at trader joe's to pick out our weekly flowers, i had our february floral friday photo project in mind. trishie picked "something romantic" as a theme. 

i first thought red roses, but i actually don't like them too much. yeah. i know. i had yangkyu scratching his head for a while on that one when we first dated. i could do spray roses. i think they're cute, and i like giving red roses to my girlfriends or the special women in my life, but receiving them not so much. i know. i'm odd. 

anyway, for this post, i kept wishing my favorite flowers - peonies and poppies - were in bloom, but they're not where i am, so i turned to hydrangeas. if you remember, i passed these up for the zygo cactus last month {which are doing ok by the way, although i already killed a couple of flowers already}. 

to be honest, the hydrangeas were going to be passed up again for a bouquet of ranunculus, which i also love, but i was trying to conjure up feelings of something romantic here. and as silly as this may sound, the poofiness of the hydrangea reminded me of my wedding dress, the first snow storm yangkyu and i went through together, along with the gigantic snowballs we threw at each other and the marshmallows we stuffed in our mouths during our first camping trip. 

i've been doing a lot of nostalgic walks down memory lane lately. it's been making me go through so many different emotional roller coaster rides. this theme, and this flower, made me recall some of the most innocent, fun and romantic times i spent with yangkyu during the first years we dated. and it felt good to remember.

which flower do you associate with as something romantic? i would love to know.


// Floral Fridays is a monthly photography project with different themes each month. This series is about fun and taking time out to smell the flowers. To play along, please email Trishie (trishie [at] underlockandkeyblog [dot] com) for next month's theme.

 // linking up with under lock and key's floral friday photography project

26 comments

  1. Pretty pic! I had hydrangeas in my wedding bouquet so they are romantic to me too. Come to think of it, they do look somewhat like a poofy wedding dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh love how hydrangeas make you have so many memories coming up. It's wonderful to feel so nostalgic from time to time. You maybe infected me a bit with it. ;) Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love why you picked this flower, Jane. I must admit, I'm not the most romantic person , but I do love orchids. My gay friend who was my date for our prom gave me an orchid corsage, and one of the first flowers my hubby gave me was an orchid (if I remember correctly:P)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Red roses are like thé flower for Valentines Day but
    I find it so overrated :P And so cheesey.
    Strangely I don't really have a favorite flower as I like
    all kind of flowers. Even wildflowers c: Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty! And I love the pop of yellow in your photo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is cute, love to know the stories behind the flower :)

    Katrina Sophia Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. That does sound really romantic. Hmm the most romantic flower for me would probably be lilies because they're so exotic looking (and smell delicious)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the clean style of the photo! (Although, it does remind me of National Geographic a bit because of the yellow ;] )

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh gosh so beautiful! I love them. My current fav would be baby's breath :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. good choice :) my top two picks are ranunculus and garden rose. have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These white hydrangeas are so lovely. I like red roses, but I think the Bachelor kind of ruined them, haha. I think getting a bunch of your favorite flower is the most romantic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel the same way about roses Jane and my husband thought I was a little strange at first for this. These hydrangeas are so pretty and it's really sweet that they bring up such lovely memories for you.

    Rowena @ rolala loves

    ReplyDelete
  13. What beautiful flowers and also words and feelings that came to mind when buying and photographing them. I also don't like roses all that much, or even flowers, except for the orchid I try to keep alive year after year. I think the life you've shared, and are sharing, with Yangkyu is so very beautiful and tender.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hydrangeas are so delicate and gorgeous, esp in that white you pick. How sweet they reminded you of the special moments. I have the same feeling about red roses, they may be too bold for me. I opt for lighter colors. Last month I ordered a few Ranunculus bulbs to be planted for summer bloom. I am so excited.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love these hydrangeas in white. It definitely has a bit of whimsy and romance to it. I think you have a unique take on "something romantic", which makes it super special :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think tulips are romantic, they're so fragrant and I'm crazy for the deep dark ones!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So pretty, as much as I love all flowers, roses included, I usually love receiving flowers other than roses :) That sad when I get roses, I'm still crazy happy! lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful ... I adore white hydrangeas or any colour, they are such gorgeous flowers and even love them when they are dried.
    happy weekend
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  19. My favorite flowers currently are white eustomas, daisies, and poppies, but I like most flowers! I think sunflowers are romantic :3

    ReplyDelete
  20. That was my grandmother's favorite flower. So pretty! I'm not a fan of red roses either. I like them in all other colors. I love peonies.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fresh flowers are such a treat. You inspire me to get some this week.

    ReplyDelete
  22. First off... i love that you do weekly flowers too :) a total must for our household..especially through the nasty chicago winters! and i too do not like red roses either! - peonies are wonderful as well as rananculus but i also love ORCHIDS :) they have a sensual quality and also fresh... remind me of the tropics...and hydrangeas dress up a room and make it special INSTANTLY :)!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I adore hydrangeas! And I love your photo of them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ciao Jane, amo la foto del tuo post! Secondo me , tutti i fiori sono romantici. La scelta delle ortensie bianche è molto originale! Un abbraccio. Paola da http://ilpaeseincantato.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  25. So pretty! I love how it brings back happy memories for you. :) For me it's a single rose (color doesn't matter). John will surprise me with them every now and then. Gets me all mushy.

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Winding Ridge Lane . Design by Fearne.