February 28, 2014

keeping up with resolutions: february reading.

wow. it's already the last day of the month. 
talk about time flying. weren't we just seeing hearts and red and pink all over?

anywho, when i started the whole reading thing for the new year, i didn't really set a goal on how many books to read. i just wanted the love of reading back. well, february was a good month. i went through three really amazing books, and i'm definitely feelin' the love.

dog years by mark doty was just so raw and brought out so many different emotions that it was a little hard to wrap my head around in the beginning. but, his writing sure is beautiful and it carried me to the end of the book where i found myself crying.

i immediately needed a little pick me up and nora ephron's i feel bad about my neck and other thoughts on being a woman did just that. i loved reading this book. it's an easy and fun read. the way she wrote about life made me laugh and cry throughout. i think i would frame this book if i could. or wear it on my forehead even. starting from the first chapter, she made me get terrified for my neck by the age of 43 and made me want to give the tightest hug to my best friend by the end of the book.

finally, waiting by ha jin was beautiful. i love reading books by asian american authors, especially stories that weave together themes like history, family, food and love. this book takes place within several decades and it's always interesting to see the way characters develop in that big of a time span.

what were some of your favorite february reads? 

 // january reading list: gone girl by gillian flynn ; is everyone hanging out without me (and other concerns) by mindy kaling.  

8 comments

  1. Nora Ephron's automatically added to my list! :) My mom adores Lisa See (she is from a Chinese-American family) and I love Kazuo Ishiguro, but this would be Asian British :P I have been reading the same book for the last 2 months (shame on me that I only read during commutes) called Lady Audley's Secret, is a fun read a mix between Jane Austen and Sherlock Holmes :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly I didn't find much time to read this month. I can't believe how quickly February flew by!

    Rowena @ rolala loves

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got halfway through Paprika and then got to a difficult scene that upset me enough to shelve the book. Will try to get back into the reading habit with the 10lbs of comics I just bought in Vancouver. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Nora Ephron... she makes me feel so many feelings - happy AND sad. We'll miss her

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm definitely interested in those last two books. they sound really interesting. i try to get through 1 book a month. right now, it's every 2 months. hahaha
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've wanted to read "I Feel Bad About My Neck" for the longest time! It's definitely on my (very, very long) list of books. Glad to hear you enjoyed it and it just reconfirmed that I've got to start making headway on my reading list :)

    www.Desgettier.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adding these to my reading list :] Thank you!

    Marla @ A Weekend Crossing

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Winding Ridge Lane . Design by Fearne.