March 10, 2014

diy party hats. it's a celebration!

hello! how was your weekend? 

ours was pretty good. the weather on saturday was beautiful and warm. sunday was a bit chilly but it was ok because we now get extra sunlight in our day. one crumby thing over the weekend was that i cut my finger pretty deep on a small knife while washing the dishes. that hurt a bit. actually a lot. and now i have a bigger appreciation for the ring finger on my right hand. it's kinda hard to function without it! 

today i thought i'd bring you all a fun little diy. last week, i made a guide on how to throw a doggy birthday, which of course could be modified to throw any kind of birthday, and i mentioned how i may make party hats this year. i saw this beautiful pin and decided to follow along here and modify a little.
what i used: 
 + paper mache cones
 + pom poms 
 + paint 
 + sponge paint brushes - one with square head, one with round head
 + ribbon
 + elastic band 
 + super glue for poms poms {i used gorilla super glue}
 + gel glue for glutter { i used one from martha stewart crafts}
 + glitter {i used one from martha stewart crafts in crystal mint}
 + scissors
 + cupcake liners {to use to hold paint and glitter}
 + nail {to make holes for elastic band/ribbon}

to make the polka dots, i used the sponge paint brush with the round head and started from the bottom of the paper mache cone and made my way up. i used white acrylic for one cone and a pearl finish for the other. on the third cone, i used my square headed sponge paint brush to brush the tip and bottom and pasted gel glue in the middle portion for the glitter. i set everything to dry for about 30 minutes, however, you may need more time to have everything completely dry.

next, i used super glue to glue on the pom poms on top of the hats. i left it to dry for about 10 minutes. 

then i poked holes on the bottom of the paper mache cones for the elastic bands and ribbon. i used elastic bands for two of the cones and ribbon for just one of them.  

and there you have it! diy party hats for any type of celebration.

hope have a good week. it's supposed to be warm here. finally!

38 comments

  1. Sorry to hear you cut your finger, it happens to
    me once as well during dish washing :c
    I hope Piri booboo kissed it :D

    I saw these on your Instagram! They look great
    Jane ^__^ The fluffy pompom gives an extra
    cuteness to it c; Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are too cute! Love the pompoms! Sorry about your finger! I hate when I do stuff like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AW these are the cutest! If I ever need party hats I will take your lead and try and make my own, haha. Hope your finger is better soon :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane, those party hats are the cutest! I love polka dots and pom poms. They are so much fun. The weather sounded awesome compared to what it had been. HaHaHa I am so sorry that you cut your finger. It's a horrible feeling! I cut my thumb rather deeply when I was young. I was using a knife in the kitchen. I fainted and til this day, I can see the line where I sliced it. I hope it heals quickly and you feel better. Have a great week.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love the different shades of blue you used for the party hats! so much cheerfulness! i can't wait to see a photo with you, yangkyu, and piri wearing them :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely! they turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. such a cute & fun idea! can't wait to see you three in those hats :) by the way, hope your finger is ok! I've cut my finger pretty deep a few times too & i know how inconvenient & painful it is! Neosporin worked great for me to heal the wound quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a fun and easy project. I LOVE the pom poms on the top of the hat. Careful with that knife! Hope you heal... fast. xx Kat


    Love and Ace

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea! Must try it. By the way I love your photos. New follower here. :)

    http://www.offthenutshell.blogspot.cz/

    ReplyDelete
  10. How cute are these hats, Jane:D And so sorry to read about the cut:( I've had that happen to me before while cooking too, and boy, did it hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are lovely! And the guide on how to celebrate a doggy birthday is great too. My dog's birthday is tomorrow, so I will definitely follow your tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun DIY! The pom poms are a great touch! Sorry to hear about your finger :( Be sure to keep the wound clean and dry. I once sliced my left ring finger open and needed the 8 stitches. The worst part was that it got infected even after I got a tetanus shot.

    Rowena @ rolala loves

    ReplyDelete
  13. these are so adorable. I love how playful they are! =D so fun!
    xo,
    nancy

    http://www.adoretoadorn.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. aww these hats are so cute! I love how they're all slightly different but go together :)

    Emmett - Hippie Lace

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a cheerful & creative diy for party hats! My fav is the polka dotted ones! And the pom poms on top are adorable :D
    www.speakstyleandrock.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are adorable!!! I could so see making these with the beans!! Thanks for sharing and I hope your finger feels better... That is the worst! Lovely week to you! Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  17. How fun this party looks! Plus, it seems pretty easy to make. Hope your finger heals up quickly. Ouch. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are so completely adorable omg. I'm in love.

    Marla @ A Weekend Crossing

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks like so much fun to do! And it looks pretty easy. I can't wait to get crafting or painting this week. I have a break from school. -Jess L

    ReplyDelete
  20. these hats are adorable! i love the pom poms and polka dots!

    sorry about your finger! ouch! hope it's feeling better....

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ouch, sounds painful!!! Hope it'll heal really quick!
    Lovely diy, it's adorable :DD

    ReplyDelete
  22. I hope your finger feels better soon and I may need you to make one of these for Ryon when it's his bday

    ReplyDelete
  23. these are beautiful! i can't get enough of that minty pom pom! my birthday's coming up---this might be necessary!

    ReplyDelete
  24. so cute - cant wait to see the hats in action :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. They look nice :]
    I opened the "icecream season" with my friend on Sunday, such lovely weather!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Jane these are darling! I love the wee pompoms on top!

    ReplyDelete
  27. These party hats seem so much fun to make. They are cute and festive at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This DIY is seriously just so cute and fun! I think that it would be fantastic for guests to make their own party hats. I'll definitely remember this for any party in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh! they turned great! I should totally steal your idea for Juno's birthday. For her Hello Kitty party we bought the hats, but these are more personal and with the handmade touch. Ouch! the finger cut is painful, I used to cut myself a lot but nowadays not so much, I guess it is because we are not cooking that much at home ;)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh no :( Hope your finger is healing well now.
    You made some lovely party hats. the colors you picked are so fun and pretty! great job.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I know this oh so well, when you remove one finger because of a cut it's screws you up for days. You can't function right and have to stick it out like a right silly!

    Buckets & Spades

    ReplyDelete
  32. omg omg how cute are these? i'm obsessed. classiest, cutest party hats ever. <3

    ReplyDelete
  33. This birthday party looks awesome and great creativity done in food section. I like your great ideas and theme

    sweet 16 venues nyc

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Winding Ridge Lane . Design by Fearne.