March 31, 2014

the library of congress, signs of spring and other weekend things.

hello! how was your weekend? 

most of sunday we stayed in and watched the blacklist for too many hours. i still don't know how i feel about it even after finishing episode 10. {does anyone else watch?}

on saturday we drove out to dc with some bossa nova playing in the background {yangkyu's favorite rainy weather music} and hung out at the library of congress
the library of congress is actually located in four buildings in washington d.c. and virginia. we only checked out the thomas jefferson building, which is the oldest of the four. 

i think my favorite part was the old maps and globes. it's part of the mapping a new nation and exploration exhibitions. it was so amazing to see how cartography evolved and how states and countries have changed in such a huge time span. both yangkyu and i also enjoyed thomas jefferson's library exhibition. it was incredible to see - works of cicero, virgil, shakespeare and more. oh and one more highlight, the ceilings inside the thomas jefferson building are beautiful. we spent a lot of time looking up and admiring all the details, words and colors. 
 // we had to get on a quick moving line to see this reading room. you don't get a whole lot of time in this overlook area because you have to keep on moving. i think we were literally in there for 10 seconds! // 

after the library of congress, we strolled around dc for a little bit before heading back home to pick up piri from his grooming session. oh he looks like this by the way {so cute, no?} 

we've been talking for a while now about actually moving to dc when our lease is up. i think yangkyu wants to stay where we are now, but i'm itching to be in dc. when we lived in silver spring, maryland, we were right on the border so it was easy to go into the district. not so easy now. but while dc is tempting, it's also hard to give up all this green we have and the large space and storage in our apartment that comes with reasonable/affordable rent. we have a few more months to decide, but we're gonna have to figure out what we're willing to give up.  
 // i can't get enough of this dc charm. // 
 // oh hi there, us capitol. // 
 // signs of spring! i think the latest on cherry blossom peak bloom in dc was from april 8 to the 12th. we can't wait! // 

hope you have a great week. i'm cooking up lots of korean side dishes and meals, scrubbing the tub and taking longer walks with piri. it's supposed to be 70 on wednesday! 

32 comments

  1. I have never been to the library of congress. It looks beautiful! Need to get up to D.C. sometime soon. I love it in the spring when everything is blooming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Library of Congress looks amazing c: Very lovely
    interior inside! I have decided to gave up on watching
    The Blacklist after ep4 really......
    Good luck with deciding moving to DC! Personally I
    love having a lot of space, green and affordable rentals c:
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. i did not know the library of congress was housed in 4 buildings. so interesting jane. it's gorgeous from ceiling to floor. always love the cherry blossoms. i've been to DC once and really enjoyed it. glad you had a great weekend. have a great week.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. that library looks stunning! amazing photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, the Library of Congress is so beautiful! When I visited DC a few years ago I had a really great time. It's such a historic (and clean) city!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cherry blossoms in DC are soo beautiful! I'll have to see if I can make a trip up there to see them this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow I really must visit the Library of Congress if I get back to DC. It looks amazing! Maybe I can combine it with trip to see the cherry blossoms! Yay for some warm weather and yummy banchan :)

    Rowena @ rolala loves
    Enter my Smile Brilliant giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've only ever seen it in films but I don't think they did it justice, what an incredibly beautiful building

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow look at all the architectures, very stunning. Washington D.C. is def on the list to visit. Thanks for a tour Jane.

    Moving can be exciting but stressful at the sane time. Hope you two figure it all out and find a perfect place to call home sweet home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, the library is gorgeous & rich with history! Very neat :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I visited DC once in my life and it was such a great trip. Seeing all the historical sites you always read about in the history books is surreal. I actually went right after 9/11 happened (my trip was in Nov) so seeing places there during that time was especially poignant.
    xo,
    nancy

    http://www.adoretoadorn.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow beautiful!!

    Rachel | AMomentInTime.
    x

    p.s I love The Blacklist!

    ReplyDelete
  13. what an incredible building! how i wish i could visit DC and see all the amazing architecture there. x

    Miho @ Wander to Wonder

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow you manage to even make a rainy day look nice!

    Allie of ALLIE NYC
    allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow the library of congress looks absolutely gorgeous! I have a thing for old libraries with amazing architecture! I need to visit the next time I'm in DC! Well, I wouldn't oppose the idea of moving there either...we need to convince Yangkyu! :) My friend lives there and it's gorgeous! At least you guys aren't too far, though, enough for a nice weekend trip from time to time :) Oh, and I've recently been watching Blacklist too! I actually really like it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great pictures. I've never been to DC, but would love to visit sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  17. first... I listened to your mix from the other day... it made for a very happy morning :) And I love bossa nova (in any weather ;) I was just thinking to visit the Harold Washington Library here in Chicago being that I just found out there is a great rooftop space. I've been scoping out good spaces to be a mobile office for me... and the library that you visited...WOW! so many stories and to be working in a massive space like that. So stunning! - Ahh the interesting push and pull of trying to figure out a next move... you guys will figure it out and I'm sure you'll love whereever you end up.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, what a lovely place! :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Library looks beautiful, as does Piri with his new coat :) I love that you guys get cherry blossoms too - I love that they stand as a sign of friendship between Japan and US but I think I read somewhere that it wasn't always the case, well, I guess war definitely destroys goodwill.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am a big fan of the blacklist. james spader is soooo good. if only the actress who plays the female lead can act better. i'm already at episode 17.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i have to agree with you on james spader. he's awesome!

      Delete
  21. So where about are you living at the moment? I'd really love to visit DC, it's got so much going on history wise, you could get so lost. Piri looks pretty sweet with his new do.

    Buckets & Spades

    ReplyDelete
  22. I didn't know you were in SIlver Spring! I am in Baltimore, but was in Silver Spring and DC all weekend for a conference. The rain was a bummer, I was hoping to see the Cherry Blossoms but didn't have the chance. I am going to attempt to make my way back this weekend for fun stuff rather than work stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those cherry blossoms are beautiful!! Oh, and what kind of korean side dishes are you making? My favorite are the steamed eggs, spinach, and anchovies. Mmm..!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Even though I've lived here almost my entire life, I've never been to the Library of Congress. I guess I'll have to make time to see it some day.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That last photo put such a big smile on my face. So beautiful. I love seeing the first signs of spring and cherry blossom is a personal favourite - we had one in the garden of the first house we lived in when I was little!

    Emma | Fluff and Fripperies

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the photo of the cherry blossoms. Gorgeous and yay for the first sign of spring!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for sharing the lovely pics of the LOC! I've always wanted to see how the inside looked!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Absolutely and completely stunning photos. I LOVE the ones of the ceiling in the library, the "DC charm" house and those blossoms. But really they're all beautiful! And it sounds like your weekend was amazing. I love DC.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The library is gorgeous! love it, I always have a thing to visit libraries when we are on a trip, specially if they are as beautiful as this. The calmness and all the books give a special feeling. Old maps and globes? Aww that would also be my favorite part. I bet moving to DC is very tempting, love the architecture shown in the red buildings pic, let us know if you finally decide the jump to the city :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. beautiful! would love to visit, I love looking up at the big buildings something like that

    Katrina Sophia Blog

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Winding Ridge Lane . Design by Fearne.