April 18, 2014

have a great weekend!

back in my non-profit days i attended a training on management and organization and it was the only training that i've attended in the 13 years i've been in the field that was truly helpful.

one of the big takeaways for me was this super effective "to-do" list they developed that helped people get through their day by completing their set goals and tasks. i had so many variations of to-do lists before this training - the checking off box style, using various online programs, scribbling on random pages in my notebook and sticking post-its everywhere. nothing worked. but the one the trainer taught me really changed the way i worked.

it was a mix of the way the "to-do" list was laid out and what you actually wrote down {aka - being realistic}. i hope to share more about this at a later time, but my point today is that i have resorted to a similar type of to-do list in the past couple of weeks and my days have been so very productive. i don't work full-time anymore so my to-do list looks much different now, but i realized how i began to veer off track, lose track of time and kept pushing off certain tasks for a later time because i kept forgetting or i just didn't want to get it done. but i'm back to being focused and i like this feeling of being organized. moreover, welcoming the weekend with this mindset feels so much more refreshing and exciting. 

do you have any plans for the weekend?

i mentioned in this post how we have an informal family photo session. thanks so much for your encouraging words and photo tips. i hope it'll turn out to be a fun session. and i hope it'll be warm too! i can't believe how the temperatures dropped toward the mid and latter part of this week. brrr. 

have a great weekend - and happy easter weekend to those who celebrate! 
 // these were our flowers for the week. we picked them up on sunday at trader joe's and it was the only bouquet of ranunculus that had a mix of all the different colors. i loved how that looked. // 
// have you ever tried mandoo? it's my favorite. i also made some here. i feel like i make a batch annually. it's a little bit of hard work to make the stuffing, fill them and store them, but definitely worth it. we used to buy them frozen at our local market, but i like making things from semi-scratch now {semi-scratch because making the mandoo skin from scratch is still a bit too hard core for me}. // 
// i baked these blueberry muffins on a rainy day while talking to my best friend on the phone. they smelled incredible coming out of the oven and was so soft and moist. i realized though that after this and also our dinner on wednesday night {sujaebi - hand torn noodle soup}, that we ran out of flour and so i couldn't get around to making homemade pretzels like i had intended to. but next week for sure. can't wait. // 

42 comments

  1. Have a super fab Easter, Jane.
    And yeah....I don't do "to-do" lists much, but when I remember to do so, I must admit I get a lot more done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those flowers are gorgeous! And those blueberry muffins look phenomenal. I'm pretty sure you have me convinced that I now need to bake muffins this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! i think i may have to make some more this week! :)

      Delete
  3. your flowers are gorgeous! I always love seeing your photos. =)
    Happy weekend!

    xo,
    nancy

    http://www.adoretoadorn.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm! i love mandoo. we call them gyoza in my household :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yum~~ i love the gyoza dipping sauce!

      Delete
  5. hope your photo session is lovely! Have a yummy weekend, Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos friend! And those muffins look amazing! I have been thinking about creating more lists as of this week so this post comes at the perfect time! I hope to stay on track with being productive.....as well as penciling in time just to be with the beans. A wonderful weekend to you as well! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! i seriously don't know what i would do without a to-do plan!

      Delete
  7. I always love buying flowers at Trader Joe's. I don't know why, but there's something about it that makes it much more beautiful~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i love buying them at trader joe's as well. :)

      Delete
  8. Happy Weekend! Love the pic of the super pretty ranunculus and can't wait to hear more about this to-do list, I'm a big fan of lists myself to keep me on track :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay! i love seeing other people who also go by to-do lists!

      Delete
  9. Mmm great looking blueberry muffins! Have a great long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. alas! we didn't have a long weekend, but hope you get to enjoy yours!

      Delete
  10. Now I am hungry :P The mandu and muffins looks great! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. i make to-do lists too Jane. can't wait to hear more about yours. they're very helpful and guide me through the day. sending you best wishes with your photo shoot this weekend. i love blueberry muffins. those look so delicious! happy easter doll.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! lists are so so helpful! hope you had a great easter weekend!

      Delete
  12. Those blueberry muffins look delicious and perfect with a cup of jo. Please share us your tips on the to-do list. I have always been fond of ticking off things to do as part of everyday tasks. It started off as a habit since student days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh i totally agree with you. i think i need to make another batch of muffins!

      Delete
  13. Your to-do list method sounds intriguing! I just write them down in my diary... more to remind me to do things than really encourage me. Looks like you've had a productive week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hopefully i can gather my thoughts around it and post about it soon!

      Delete
  14. Wow, you've been busy in the kitchen and it all looks delicious! I use a simple to do list on my iPhone... it's really basic but keeps me from spending too much time managing/creating the to do list, if that makes any sense. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know what you mean! i used the google task program, which was good because i was able to use it on my iphone and also on my computer and it would sync!

      Delete
  15. Hope you are having a nice weekend! We do have easter here that lasts until Monday (yay!) but we don't really celebrate anything traditional this year, I guess it's the downside of not having any kiddo in the family right now. Mmm Dumplings! we just had today some shao-mai (Chinese), I love all the varieties of "dumplings" yours with shiitake sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh hope you are enjoying your long weekend! we don't have an easter tradition either but i like the thought of having a special breakfast or lunch.

      Delete
  16. Okay all your food pics are making my tummy grumble... and at 10:30 at night. Hope you had a wonderful Easter weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! i get that way when i do my morning rounds on the blogs and i come across my favorite food blogs. i get so hungry!

      Delete
  17. Love that flower pic and those muffins look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your photographs, so bright and cheery! Call me crazy, but I can almost smell those blueberry muffins!

    x karen
    the chic & damned

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Winding Ridge Lane . Design by Fearne.