April 23, 2014

on quitting my job, enjoying the present and saving for the future.

i had pictured this blog post to be somewhat informative, short with bullet points but alas, it's a long and rambling one. i apologize and thanks in advance for reading along. it's a topic i've been trying to articulate for a long time but i'm not sure if i did a good job. i may come back at a later point and reflect, but in the meantime, here is my first go. 


i've mentioned a few times on the blog how i don't work full-time. i quit my job at the end of july last year and i have been enjoying my "time off". the other night yangkyu looked at me and said "jane, do you really not want to go back to work?" i must've had a pout on my face because he quickly followed up by saying "no, what i mean is, you look so happy now. it's good to see you like this. if you're happy you don't have to go back to work." 

in this post i talked about the case of life. it was mostly about having financial security in the long run and asset building {buying a home, etc.}, but i also worry about whether or not i have to go back to a full-time job. before i write further about it, i have to say that i am coming from a place of privilege when i talk about this topic because i know many folks don't have a choice but to work. i know i am lucky to be in a position where i am married and have someone who has a good job with health insurance and earns enough to help support the both of us and our dog. i realize this and i hope this post doesn't come off pompous or out of touch. 

i spent 13 years post graduation in the non-profit field. in the past 5-6 years i built a niche in communications - traditional media and digital communications - and have enjoyed it very much. i loved being part of a team that created stories of people -- agents of social change -- and the issues that mattered to us as a community. but as time went on i became jaded and disappointed {expectation does that.. darn those expectations..!}.

when i was working i felt like i was always working. getting up early, working the usually hours from 9-6 pm, coming home, eating a quick 10 minute dinner and then working again. there were campaign proposals to be completed, grant reports to be written, press releases to be drafted and work of others to be reviewed. there was literally no time in the day to get anything done because half of the day would be spent on meetings, meetings and more meetings.

this part of work was stressful but there was also adrenaline which i liked {but not so much the consecutive days of working long hours}. the thing that i didn't like was people stress. i think i'm probably more on the sensitive side, but i never understood people who were rude, judging, assuming, bossy, fake and pompous. and i had my share of working with these types of people and it drove me up the wall. i would spend my time with pent up frustration and i would explode at home. yangkyu would have to listen to me night after night. i would vent, i would self-doubt, question myself to see if maybe i was in the wrong and then get worked up all over again wishing other people practiced self-awareness {you see.. expectations..}. me and yangkyu hardly ever had conversations about what made our day good and sometimes we would find ourselves arguing. he would always say, "jane! say the things you are saying to me directly to those people!" but because i hated conflict, i never did. i was just making things worse for me, but at the time i thought i was keeping peace. i also knew that i wasn't perfect so who am i to tell someone to be a certain way when i was sure my behavior and personality was irritating someone else? 

in retrospect i wish i would've been more vocal, but still a part of me wishes people would have some basic etiquette {but there i go with my expectations again}. at times i did find myself arguing more because i felt that was the only way i was going to survive, but this was making me feel worse. i didn't like who i was turning into and i didn't like that i needed to be "strong" {aka bitchy} in order to let people know they couldn't walk all over me. all i wanted was to just be in a good supportive team-oriented work environment where i could just do the job that i loved doing. 

so when yangkyu said to me the other night, "you look so happy now," i couldn't help but feel that i am very content with where i am in my life. my career isn't a driving factor for me anymore. there are sacrifices yangkyu and i have to make since we now only have one income coming in, but i would rather make those types of sacrifices than to go back to a work environment that wasn't a good fit for me. and yangkyu is so very supportive of this decision.

i think many people will say, well that's life. suck it up. and i understand this argument. but  i guess it's just plain and simple for me now. i've decided i don't want to continue sucking it up and live a miserable life. 

when we had two incomes coming in we had so much more leeway with money. we were saving more {almost bought a house last year}, i was buying more things because i thought it was making me happier. now that our income has shrunk we live with much less. and we have to be creative in the way we save. but this actually isn't all that bad. 

yangkyu has always been the "financially smart" one between the two of us {and he hardly is a spender} and from the day we got married he created a budget system which he manages on an excel chart on google drive and shares with me {although this role is slowly becoming mine now}. we track every single penny that we spend. no joke. and we have a set limit on how much we spend on food, on ourselves, piri, on our home, etc. we do this so that each month we're also saving {for that house, our future and also for emergencies}. some months we do better than other months. but the bottom line is, if we don't have the money to spend we just don't spend it {unless we absolutely have to, such as emergency vet visits, etc.}. 

this system has frustrated me from time to time because i couldn't buy things i wanted when i wanted. but now i live by this system. some people can't imagine how we only have $100 each to spend a month {or some folks think it's more than enough - i thought so too but am always surprised at how how that $100 can be spent so quickly}. but having $100 to spend is doable if we don't buy things on impulse. this was hard for me in the beginning but now i keep a wish list and go back to it a few weeks later. if i still want it or feel that i need it, that's when i decide to buy it or hold off on it a bit longer. after purging our closet and our house and realizing that we have bought too many things we don't need, coupled with the wish list method, living off of $100 a month is easier than i thought. 

for food, i have started meal planning and literally make everything myself -- korean side dishes, cookies, smoothies, muffins, you name it. our weekly grocery bills never goes above $100 and we don't have leftover food that goes bad. some of our friends wondered what in the world we eat {do you guys eat pasta all day, everyday?}, but we eat a variety of hearty meals. i also get up every morning at 6 am and make yangkyu's breakfast and lunch for him to take to work. sure we do go to restaurants as well but not every day. we also don't drop by starbucks or other bakeries on a daily basis. again, we don't buy unless we have the money to buy. credit cards are tempting but also kinda scary.

there are other ways we were able to cut unnecessary spending -- i iron all of yangkyu's work clothes instead of taking them to the dry cleaners, we cut our cable and now depend on npr every morning for the news and netflix for shows. we also got rid of our landline and text messaging service, and instead use a free app called kakaotalk. i canceled all my magazine subscriptions except real simple. and earlier this year we also paid off our car which relieved our bank account just a teeny tiny bit. 

we still get to plan for big international trips. we have been planning to go to korea and japan later this year and gave ourselves 20 months to save up for plane tickets, hotel, spending money and also presents to take back to our family members. we're well on our way to meeting our goal even though i quit my job and kept our monthly vacation saving $$ the same.

we also keep our tradition of finding 10 causes and issues to donate each year. i wouldn't want this to change one bit. 

this past year, what i realized was that the more money we made, the more money we spent. since we were so tired from work we were always eating out. we weren't planning our meals and instead buying anything and everything we wanted while grocery shopping. and because we were so tired to even cook, the food went bad. we were constantly buying and using services to make our lives more convenient. but now i do all that. and i don't mind doing it at all.

in the beginning of this blog post, i mentioned how i am enjoying my "time off." the responsibilities i have taken on in the home doesn't compare really to what yangkyu does in the office. i don't have to worry about the long commute, i can iron his shirts, wash the dishes, clean the home regularly, do the laundry all while watching my favorite shows. i can always take a quick break while playing with piri. but nonetheless, i don't consider myself totally on break. i feel as though this somehow is my new job. my new role. 

sometimes i wonder if some of my friends think i'm a nut. jane has turned into an official homemaker. but i don't really see it that way. i enjoy finding recipes, spending time in the kitchen and making all our meals and snacks. i enjoy keeping our home tidy. i love that i get to spend my whole day with piri and make sure he gets his morning, afternoon and evening walks. i like how i keep this blog a part of my daily life and finding diy and crafting projects to share. i have been looking for other ways to bring in income, but for now i am finding lots of joys in my life and this is really important for me to have. 

after our dinner last night, yangkyu took out his guitar and we sang and hummed. i was leaning against his leg and had piri in my arms. the sky was dark because it had just rained but the sun was also out. its rays were shining through our window. it was the perfect way to end the day. and i liked it very much. this is what life is supposed to be like. at least for me.

67 comments

  1. Love this honest post. I quit my job when we moved overseas and its been good. I love the time to myself and our home... and the blog. But some days are definitely harder than others. I look forward to getting back into something when we move home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for reading. i hope you'll find something that you love to do!

      Delete
  2. Thank u so much for sharing these honest & heartfelt feelings to us! This was a much needed post lately like popping a cork that has been stuck for some time now! Pretty much every aspects abt the miserable factors at work, saving $ & planning + knowing for what to spend, & finding true happiness + your duties in life had me going, "I agree & I've experienced & experiencing that as well". I've had my own adversities when it came to finding that stable job but along w/ realizations of what happiness in life are.
    I think there's also that factor when ppl tend to assume that those who stay at home & do their job have no stress or experience at all… b/c everyone has their own inner battles to fight through at any state in their lives.
    It's so inspiring to hear that u found ur happiness :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much hanna. everyone does have their inner battles and everyone is struggling! it's important to really keep that in mind :)

      Delete
  3. I quit working when I had my first daughter, I always worked before that. It took some time getting used to and even now I still have days where I wish I was working, but I have enjoyed being home with my girls and I wouldn't trade that at all. I am happy that I've been able to be home with them. I'd like to some time do some work from home, I've been thinking of doing that more and more. I like being home and having my own hours and doing as I like. I think as long as you do what makes you happy & by the sound from what your husband said about being happier, that is what matters most, because so many people work themselves to have a better life or do things, but they never go and do those things or feel happy because they work all the time and that's it. So just as long as your happy, that is what matters :) Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much. i once thought that doing things i love was unrealistic that there was a life to live.. but i have a totally different outlook on life now. i am enjoying as much as i can.. perhaps i will change again but for now this is what makes me happy.

      Delete
  4. I couldn't help agreeing as I read each line of your post. It reminded me of the time I took more than a year career break having a husband who has a steady income. It allowed me to sort out a lot in my life. I would say it was the best investment we've ever done. It made me happy. Like you, I had expectations of people and what I would like my life to be that I decided to give my job up because I didn't want to settle in something that made me feel miserable and that I felt wasn't leading me to a life of meaning. Saving made it possible for us. I couldn't have done it without my husband's financial savviness We had to tighten our belts and simplify our life in the process too. I'm truly amazed by how you were able to live in $100 per month. That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you arni. i think because when i work (and if i ever do work full time again), it takes up so much of my life.. i need it to be something that i enjoy and love and not be stressed over. and since i recognize that i am more sensitive, perhaps i need to be looking at places that doesn't offer the same intense stress that i was in. taking a year off to find the right direction is definitely a good investment i think.

      Delete
  5. I LOVE this post Jane. I think we all have financial worries in certain aspects regardless of how much money we make. My financial life has totally turned upside down since a little one was born. Even with two incomes, I don't feel secured. I wish I were able to do a part time job so I have more time to do what I want but that is not doable for us.

    Based on what you said, you guys are also saving for the future , stick with your budget and have a health insurance. That sounds like a well thought plan. Life is too short. We may not even live long to spend our hard earned 401 (k) money. You never know, Jane. You may be able to start up your small business down the road. Something you are passionate about and earn extra income.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much nelah. it's so hard to think about the future, right? i still get terrified and worried from time to time. i feel like we need to be making so much money, work long hours so we can live a comfortable life when we're older. it's so ironic though. sucking it up for the future. i am hoping what i am doing now makes sense. but at the same time i am telling myself that whatever decision i make, i won't regret it. :)

      Delete
  6. If I had the option of not having to work, as in it was financially doable, I'd be totally the same as you! Whatever works for your family and makes you happy!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! what works for the family and what makes me happy seems to be the right formula for right now! thanks!

      Delete
  7. Jane, your honest posts are truly inspiring. I agree with the comments above. There's really nothing much more I can add, except to say what was already stated....do what you love. People will always have something to say no matter what we do. Often, it comes from people we think will support us. But as long as you and Yangku are happy with your situation, nothing else matters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks emmy. i was so nervous about posting this but it's been really great to get encouragement and understanding from so many folks! xx

      Delete
  8. That was indeed a long post! I can't really relate (yet), because I am a student still living at home. But now that I have a full time internship of 40 hours a week, (luckily, no more than a 20/30 minute bicycle ride to get there), I don't think I would like a full time office job. I would love to have a more active job or a job that's part office work and part something else. I still have a year to figure it out and find something.

    On the other hand, a full week at home, I don't think I could do that either. But I can sure understand why you like it. You have your own things, no stress, walks with the dogs, your running etc. That's very nice too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well i wouldn't say that i am completely stress-free now. it's a different form of stress but not as intense now. and sometimes i feel like my days in taking care of new responsibilities doesn't end until 9 pm at night. but i guess i enjoy this more than what i had been doing in a normal full time job. :)

      Delete
  9. Jane, what a great post. I think as long as you and Yangkyu are happy, that's all that really matters. I can relate to some of your experiences. I quit my job to be with the little ones. I am very thankful that I'm able to do this. We weren't sure at first if it was really possible because we had become dependent on two incomes. After cutting all the un-necessary things out, it was workable. It's true, the more you make the more you spend. At the end of the day, we are happier with the new arrangement because we take the time to be with each other. I don't feel rushed all the time having to do this or that because I have a business trip coming up or things like that. We also argue less because the schedule is not as hectic. Most of my colleagues think I'm nuts to quit at the height of my career, but at the end of the day, I'm happy just to watch my kids grow up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think the cutting out unnecessary things out really hit home for me. at first everything seemed necessary but after living without it i realized, wow. they were really unnecessary. sometimes i do feel like i should just work long hours, make more money so we can buy that house of ours but i feel like that's a neverending cycle of just working working working more - because after you buy the house there is the mortgage, maintaining, buying the right furniture. it never really ends and it's really a never-ending cycle of always feeling like you have to make more money to make ends meet. i hope to find some sort of balance but for right now i guess what we have worked out is working out for us. :)

      Delete
  10. Thank you for sharing this, Jane! I'm so happy you're able to follow this path to a happy lifestyle that totally works for you and Yangku :-) And besides, who wouldn't want to stay at home with Piri all day?!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jane, thank you so much for sharing this honest post. I'm sure it was a very difficult decision for you and your husband to make, but it seems like it's working out pretty well! Several years ago, I had a job that I absolutely hated, but had to stick to for various reasons. I was so miserable everyday. I dreaded waking up every morning and cried in the car sometimes. On very rare occasions there was a glimmer of hope, but it always faded very quickly. Because I was so miserable, I was not a fun person to be around for my boyfriend (my now-fiance). Like you, I wish I was more vocal to the people I was unhappy with or didn't agree with professionally, but I didn't want even more conflict or chaos. I'm glad I got out of there when I did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's great that you did get out and found a place that fits you. i think if i am able to find that i would be very happy. i've had times when i was told so many things about how i a certain way and they assume that i am too quiet or too passive and not assertive so it automatically translate into me not delivering quality work. and so the next time i was assertive and bold and spoke up and then i was looked on by others as a show off. this has been one of the hardest things for me.. sometimes i would scream inside and think "what do you want me to be?!!" and i wished people would just look at the work i would produce and judge what kind of worker i was. but right now, i am over all that. and i like that i don't have to worry about silly things like that and that i am appreciated in other ways. :)

      Delete
  12. My dear Jane, you enjoy your happy life while you can. It's a privilege. I know because I'm doing it too. And so true about spending more when you earn more!

    ReplyDelete
  13. when I read posts like that, I really feel that we are very similar in terms of how we're sensitive to other people and also our expectations! I've faced the same problems in work environments, and those were as multiple part time jobs as a student. Right now, I'm working full time and wow... it really is driving me up the wall and I often find myself dreaming of getting out. Nat and I have always envisioned a home where I either work part time or not at all, and where I mostly housekeep and work on my art. It doesn't sound practical for sure, but reading your post made me feel a bit more confident about where Nat and I hope to be some day. It's definitely possible to live on a single income, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hope you and nat find the right combination! :)

      Delete
  14. Yes you are lucky you have this "option" as you said so many people do not. And yes people stress is the worst. And it is mind blowing how self absorbed, full of themselves and rude people can be in the work place. Bad enough outside of work but at work you can't just walk away. But you did haha. So count your blessings, you are very very lucky.

    Allie of ALLIE NYC
    allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow. Thank you for sharing, Jane. I have been feeling a lot of what you mentioned as I am in a very similar situation. Rick and I definitely spent more when we were both working full time and saving for the future is more work, but I also relish the peace that my current (very fortunate) situation affords me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i admire what you are doing mariko. something to look to as reference!

      Delete
  16. It was a very bold move leaving your job but for the right reasons for you and it does make sense. you can tell how happy you are through your words and how the whole being and home and creating a new job as it work is really something you love. And yes, I did read the whole post, long but very interesting and worth it (for me, so thanks for writing). Money wise, I'm pretty good, my partner Hollie is the main earner but because I quit my jobs to try go full time with writing/blogging I had to stay and live with my mum. So we don't actually live together, even though we've been together for about 8 years. It's just the way it's got to be for now. I really don't like where I live (town wise) but there's not much I can do for now. Putting the groundwork in!

    Really enjoyed your post and hopefully you follow it up in he future.

    Buckets & Spades

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks matt! i admire what you're doing with your blog. really doing what you love doing. that's what matters!

      Delete
  17. Being happy is so important and it sounds like you're making this work while not sacrificing anything. I'm in a similar situation as you now. Before my job was eliminated, I was stressed out so bad from work that it made me sick all the time. I'm much happier as a freelancer and I feel lucky that my husband is very supportive and is just happy that I'm happy like Yangkyu is with you :)

    Rowena @ rolala loves

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jane, I think you're in the right place for right now. You can always re-evaluate your situation in the future. Things are constantly changing. This works for you now. This is what you may need. You may change your mind in 2 years. You may not. You have options (and that is always good). Enjoy your life as it is NOW. Your husband has a great job and what a wonderful husband. You are blessed, plus he wants what is best for you. Don't feel bad about this. One time a doctor told me, Kim your JOB is stressing you out. I was having neck problems and everything. It wasn't the job. It was the people at the job! HaHaHa So I'm glad you got out, because those type of situations lead into other problems. I enjoyed reading your story and thanks for sharing it.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is so very true kim. i am most certain that i will be in a different place at a different time and recognize that the setting we have now is what works for us now. thanks for the good reminder :)

      Delete
  19. If you are happy, and can keep on without working, more power to you! Who cares what others have to say about you. You may or may not go back but that doesn't matter. I wish I could be in your shoes, but I can't now. I will continue to work towards it though. My goal isn't to stop working, but to work in a field that I love!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Jane :c
    I'm sorry to hear you had horrible colleagues even
    though you loved your job. I think it's good to take
    a break and glad that you're happy as Yangkyu
    see that too c:
    I also admire how you safe money :o and yes,
    we kind of buy a lot of things that we don't need..
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks mei. i guess it wasn't horrible colleagues but just the type of work environment that wasn't a good fit for me... and i mean the entire non-profit landscape i was in. :)

      Delete
  21. i appreciated hearing your story! i breathed a huge sigh of relief hearing that you struggled with having expectations of people. i'm like this, and i know i can be sensitive, but i've caught myself wondering so many times how people can just be plain inconsiderate. it's not that they're necessarily mean or rude (tho it appears that way to me!) but they simply do not think of how the other person is feeling or what effect they're having, etc. it's been hard to come to terms with! i easily feel let down, even though that's simply how most people are, i think.

    it's nice that you're able to put your happiness first, i wish more people could. i've decided to put that first this year (i plan to eventually get the courage to post about it!) and haven't had much of an income in two months. we've also realized that CAN live with less and it's not too bad. i'll have more coming in soon but it will be about half of what i made before. it's scary, but i just can't put off happiness any longer--i am glad you feel the same! thanks for sharing :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. expectations can be so hard to let go right? i sometimes wonder about common sense but i guess that too is an expectation. i hope you find your happiness balance!

      Delete
  22. I read every single word and honestly was almost crying at the last paragraph. That's what I want too, it just feels so hard to attain sometimes. I am a very impulsive buyer and I'm such a shopoholic these days and I know it's because I'm substituting for something else. I am struggling to find my place because I know I'm "supposed" to be getting a career and earning a salary but at the same time I can't bear the mere thought of an office. I don't really know what I'm doing haha. But I was so relieved to read this. I want to be a homemaker and I definitely don't think you're nuts for doing it...I hope that one day soon I'll be able to play a similar role.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think it's ok to struggle. it's all about trying to find the balance on your own terms. i think if i read self-help books and such on how to attain that balance i wouldn't know how to do if even though someone literally drew me a roadmap. it's nice to have a guide but ultimately i think it's about me and how i learn from my mistakes and habits. :) hope you find the right combination for you!

      Delete
  23. Really- who cares what other people think or say, Jane? You are genuinely happy. I would definitely like to stay home- at least for a while- if I could. We have things we want to do and bills- so I don't stay home. That, and we have things called enlistment contracts in the military, so I'm "committed" to however many years I enlist for. But I think it's wonderful that you get to do that, and that now the money you spend and the time you spend doing things is so much more meaningful. I think you're absolutely lucky to stay home and be able to create and spend time with Piri. Money isn't everything; happiness is. -Jess L

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this post because my life is similar.

    "my career isn't a driving factor for me anymore. there are sacrifices yangkyu and i have to make since we now only have one income coming in, but i would rather make those types of sacrifices than to go back to a work environment that wasn't a good fit for me"


    This is EXACTLY how I feel and I feel like a lot of people don't understand. What is the point of having nicer things if we never see each other? My husband has been deployed half of our 12 years of marriage and I don't want to go back to that..being separated.

    Society as a whole seems to think that 'more money' means happier but it really doesn't.


    Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for sharing, Jane! I can't say I can related yet because I'm still a student though, but it was nice to hear your perspective. You sound happy, and I'm happy for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Enjoyed reading your post! I am physician in a two person practice, so I guess I'm kind of at the other end of the work spectrum, but I can appreciate your perspective. I was lucky enough to be able to work part-time until my girls were 4-years-old and it was wonderful to spend that time with them. Everyone has to find their own balance in life, and sometimes that balance point is a moving target. No matter what your situation, it's important to enjoy those moments of happiness and peace, and it sounds like that's exactly what you are doing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much! i really appreciate this comment!

      Delete
  27. This post is magical Jane, I found myself nodding my head through all of it with a smile. When I was working I'd encountered personalities clashes that I'd never confront, I'd tell Ben and he'd tell me to be more assertive but I found that really really hard to do and still find it near impossible. I think it's nice to redefine how you live - I think at the end of the day people should take the path that finds them the most happiness :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have so much I want to say in response to this post, but I am not sure where to start…
    First, let me say I really appreciate your honesty about your personal struggle and who you guys deal with things financially now.
    Currently both my husband and I have full time jobs, but at some point that may change and it is good to read about your experience.

    Really lovely post!

    ~Alexis Grace of North On Harper

    ReplyDelete
  29. reading this has been incredibly...helpful. I don't know how to describe it really. I am currently working. My husband works. We are fortunate to live in a city and we both want to continue living in a city. But, I sometimes wonder if I "had to" live without two incomes in our lives, how would things change. I know they would have to. But, would it make me happier (even though I can't imagine it)? Reading about your experience is enlightening because it gives clarity to both sides. You've experienced both and can speak about them. That's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing!!
    xo,
    nancy

    http://www.adoretoadorn.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Jane, I absolutely loved reading this! I can see myself so reflected in lots of things here. We are right now those eating out every day because we are too tired to eat at home, and I don't like it one bit (well, not that I don't like going to restaurants, that I love, but not after feeling exhausted). We also track every penny and have a limit to spend each month, not that we do have money problems (we know we are lucky!), just because we think is the wisest to track expenses and be able to have savings and know where our money is really going. We are using a phone app which allows us to instantly add any expense into our monthly report, so it is literally every penny tracked :) even those little daily expenses. I really don't understand why in some places or circles choosing house working gets weird looks and even disdain, I think it can be both rewarding and very hard sometimes, just like any other type of work. I have been giving lot of thought of how to be happier lately or enjoy the happiness moments, your post is giving me lot to think about. A big hug Jane! I am truly happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi damaris! so good to know that you also track your expenses. i hated doing it at first but then realized just how much money we were spending on certain things. i'm a visual person so it helped me to see and adjust. i think the way we live now, it doesn't mean that we can't eat and buy and do the things we want. we still can but we just have to be smarter about it. :)

      Delete
  31. I love this post. I am glad yangkyu is very supportive. hats off to you for quitting your job and making yourself happy with this little life, yangkyu and piri.

    Katrina Sophia Blog

    ReplyDelete
  32. this is so wonderful to read, Jane. we only have one life, and i always believe that we should try our very best not to have regrets - you're doing the right thing, and look at the happiness that shines out of you. the quality of life you lead is probably leaps and bounds from what you had when you were consumed by work. xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. I loved this post. It's so real and so many people can relate. I took on my serving job because teachers in Ontario aren't retiring and landing that elusive job is next to impossible; especially for recent grads like myself. I too, find myself becoming someone I hate because I can't stand what I need to do in order to make a few bucks. I also take a lot of verbal abuse from angry managers for things I can't control. I find myself complaining to DK and my friends a lot and I don't want to come off as a complainer. I've contemplated quitting my job so many times and I've only started in January. But alas, DK and I have so many huge expenses coming up that I can't afford to quit.

    You're so lucky to have such a supportive husband. I know a few guys that can take a note or two from Yangku :P

    ReplyDelete
  34. i really enjoyed this story because too often we become slaves to "things" and keeping up appearances and all that silly stuff. Does it really matter? Is it really important? Or is it a bonus that if we didn't have, we wouldn't really miss. And this is coming from a girl who just bought a new car. Thank you for the reminder that things aren't really that critical and can be managed. And you can have a great time with less

    ReplyDelete
  35. I am happy for you that you're happy. You definitely write it out well and I can totally relate how you felt about expectations at work and dealing with people. I find dealing with people the hardest part. Now, I've my own business and I'm very happy with what I'm doing as well as keeping this blog as my part-time job. I am passionate with what I'm doing and that's important. Like you, I see that you're happy and love what you do and you're so grateful with life itself. That's important =)

    ReplyDelete
  36. I am very happy that you've enjoying your life right now! I had a similar experience after grad school and had a very unfulfilling job. I am very lucky to have my husband since he's the one who pushed me to go pursue something I wanted. So I concentrated on blogging and started my business, which actually really padded me resume a lot and helped me get my current job that I love!

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Winding Ridge Lane . Design by Fearne.