April 15, 2014

what is the story behind your wedding ring engravings?

hello! it's april and we're on the third blogger story session counting down to our 5th wedding anniversary in august. if you recall back to the beginning, i had thought to create space here on the blog where we share stories each month on a particular topic related to love, marriage and happiness. in case you missed it, you can find previous story sessions here

today it's all about wedding ring engravings. what is engraved in your ring and what is the story behind it? and i'm so happy to have emily from a lively blend and kat from love and ace share their stories as well. 

my story begins in english class. 11th grade. the whole year we were studying shakespeare, chaucer and other old english and medieval works. one day our teacher shared with us what was engraved in her ring. it was something to the effect of "forever love" in old english {but in all honesty my memory remembers it to sound almost elvish.}. i was so young but i knew i wanted something just as unique engraved in my ring. and i kept this thought with me for many many years.

fast forward to 13 some odd years. i was at work and listening npr. one of my favorite segments - storycorps - was on and the story was one of the sweetest i've heard. it featured bill schifri who specialized in selling wedding rings and this part of his story just made me smile the biggest smile. 
"i had a girl once who wanted to buy a wedding ring for her fiancee. she says, 'tell me, if he doesn't like it, can i give it back to you?' i said, no, this is a custom job. i'm making the ring special for your fiancee. she gave me the order and gave me the deposit and said, 'this is what i want engraved in there: no refunds. no returns.' i couldn't get over that." {you can hear the full story or read the transcript here}
i went home that day and listened to the story again with yangkyu. when we picked out our wedding rings we said we wanted "no refunds, no returns" engraved inside them. it was done over the phone but i could hear the sales representative smile the same smile  as i had when i first heard the phrase. and the next time i was on the phone with our representative to finalize our rings she told me that she shared the story the "no refunds, no returns" story with her boyfriend and they shared a laugh together. it was a story that kept on giving. 

i was so curious to see what other couples had engraved inside their rings and what the story behind it was. here is what emily and kat had to say: 

we have "always and forever" engraved on the inside of our rings. a few months into our relationship, i was in missouri for a conference and tommy was home in virginia. one evening, i was looking out at the moon and i told him that if he looked outside, he'd be looking at the same moon too. even though we were 800+ miles apart, in that moment, we felt close. now, whenever we're apart for some time, we'll always tell each other, "i love you to the moon and beyond, always and forever." --- emily from a lively blend, married 7 months, blacksburg, va. 

my husband had my wedding band engraved as a surprise! we went and picked out our bands together and he went back later on his own to have the inside of mine engraved. it reads "my kat forever". i didn't find out about the engraving until the day of our wedding - he managed to keep me from seeing the band after it was ready. thinking back on it, i was way too relaxed about not trying it on first! after we exchanged our vows we had some private time and he showed it to me. it was such a sweet gesture and every time i look down at the engraving i remember that special moment. --- kat from love and ace, married 2.5 years, los angeles, ca.  


i love the how personalized their engravings are and as many years pass, i'm sure it'll be such a sweet story to pass down. 

well, i really love a good story session and i'm still very curious! do you have any engravings inside your wedding rings? what is it and what's the story behind it? i would love to know.

 // a very special thank you to emily and kat for sharing your stories. 

// read previous installments of  these blogger story sessions, "how did you know (s)he was the one?" and "do you have a secret code?" 

this is part of a story series counting down to our 5 year wedding anniversary in august. 

26 comments

  1. Aaaaaw....thanks for sharing these stories, Jane. Soooo sweet. We don't have ours engraved, but if we do decide later on, I'm going with "no refunds, no returns" :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's the story that keeps giving! :)

      Delete
  2. I like the "no refund, no return". Too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. these stories are so sweet! i believe everything should have a meaning behind it. it makes it that much more cherish-able. i hope when I meet someone, I have a story like theirs to tell. so beautiful.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i love knowing about meanings behind things. so interesting to hear. i love storytelling and storytellers! hope to hear your story one day!

      Delete
  4. such a darling sentiment. I wish my ring was just a tad thicker in the band to accommodate an engraving. (But, me and my thin ring preference doesn't allow it right now!)

    It's so sweet Kat and Emily shared their stories as well! =D

    xo,
    nancy

    http://www.adoretoadorn.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for reading! and i loved kat and emily's stories as well :)

      Delete
  5. That NPR story is awesome and I can see why it inspired you two. Emily's and Kat's stories were sweet as well. We got a certain term of endearment my husband and I call each other engraved inside our wedding rings. We actually have many of these but this is one in particular we both still use for one another to this day.

    Rowena @ rolala loves

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for having me!! I loved sharing my story and reading yours + Kat's :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much for sharing your story emily!

      Delete
  7. Engravings really do mean so much… we chose very personal ones for our rings and I love knowing that we have these little secrets on our hands at all times…

    ~Alexis Grace of North On Harper

    ReplyDelete
  8. ahh they are all so sweet, to be honest I had never even thought about engraving, when I got engaged I'm definitely going to have a think of something extra special to write :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i bet you will come up with the most sentimental engraving. :)

      Delete
  9. These are just so beautiful, I love that. Engraving is a very lovely gesture, I like when people do that with something that means so much to them & even better when it's something only they understand. Beautiful. Have a lovely day xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i agree - if it's something they only understand it tells an even more beautiful story.

      Delete
  10. love this, the special engraving is something so personal and romantic, I've loved to read the stories! :) I now see we should have thought it better, we have each other name and the date, quite lame :) hahahaha but I feel good having his name with me always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's not lame at all! :) it is quite something to have his name with you always :)

      Delete
  11. This is so precious, and that's extra cute that people share your story :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i love that they have taken the time to share theirs!

      Delete
  12. Hi Jane! Thank you so much for sharing my story and I loved reading yours. What a clever (but true!) thing to have engraved. xx Kat


    Love and Ace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much for participating kat!

      Delete

Latest Instagrams

© Winding Ridge Lane . Design by Fearne.