May 27, 2014

a day in dc: national cathedral, hillwood estate & thai food in cleveland park.

hello!

despite all the rest and naps, coming out of three-day weekends is always a little tough. i have been trying to get back into my usual routine since 6 am today but i've had no luck. i think i have to take it slow especially with this muggy, hot weather that is now upon us {definitely not complaining though. i choose this over cold and snow any day!}. 

i had mentioned on friday how we had planned a mini road trip for the weekend. we were all excited to go to lancaster, pa, but at the last minute that excitement kind of fizzled. the 2.5 hour trip just seemed a bit too daunting and so we decided to spend saturday in dc exploring a couple of places we haven't been before - the washington national cathedral and the hillwood estate museum & gardens. since we both like to kind of wander off on our own, we opted to self-tour both places instead of using the guided tours. 
 // the shadows and lighting in this cathedral were all sorts of amazing. // 
after the national cathedral, we decided to walk over to the hillwood estate {big mistake!}. i think going to the hillwood estate is best by car. we did meet some other poor blokes {like us} who probably thought walking over would be just fine and dandy - it really isn't. unfortunately the nearest metro {van ness stop} is also a bit far off so some folks may have no choice but to walk. getting there is a bit hilly, goes through residential areas that are so quiet it almost seemed a little creepy and the side walk cuts off on one side at one point. wasn't really my idea of a nice walk, but once we got there, the pretty gardens on the grounds of the estate made up for what the walk getting here didn't. 
 // there were so many pretty chandeliers all over the mansion. // 
 // i mean what if these paintings talked like they did in harry potter. kinda creepy but neat at the same time, no? // 
on our way back to our car near the national cathedral we stopped by the siam house in cleveland park and after much debating on whether we should try something new or not, we went with our usual favorites - tom yum soup, panang curry chicken and chicken pad thai. oh i can just have them again right now. 
right after our wedding, we couldn't go on our honeymoon right away and instead did a quick three-day getaway to washington d.c. {from new york where we were living at the time}. we packed the day in with so much sight-seeing that our legs felt wobbly at the end of the day. but it was a good wobbly feeling. i wanted to recreate something similar because i'm all about nostalgia and while it wasn't quiet the same, it felt pretty good. 

we had wanted to actually visit two more places before going home but we decided to make a stop at georgetown cupcake {and wait nearly an hour} and headed over to piri's friend hiro's house in the evening. doggy play dates are kind of the cutest thing if you ask me. 

40 comments

  1. Beautiful photos! I visited the National Gallery years ago and remember how amazing it was in person. That food looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! we were gonna go back to the national gallery this day but we opted out! it's a beautiful museum!

      Delete
  2. The National Cathedral is really stunning, as are all those garden shots. I really need to be a tourist in my own city more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. us too. hopefully we'll find more things to do around our neck of the woods!

      Delete
  3. Hello Jane:

    What absolutely stunning pictures you have included to illustrate your day out which, despite the long walk after your visit to the Cathedral, was clearly hugely enjoyable and made even more so by your ending with dinner of some of your favourite foods. Sometimes it is really good to explore places which are on the doorstep rather than venture further afield.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes i agree with you! there are so many unexplored places and hidden gems nearby!

      Delete
  4. I have to say, you guys really know how to enjoy life. And is so fun following your life via your beautiful photography. I am still learning to use my DSLR, whew what a process.

    Allie of ALLIE NYC
    allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think i'm still learning to use mine too! it is a process!

      Delete
  5. There is something about you! Something that makes me feel that we would be such good friends. Perhaps I ought not to say things like this "aloud" and sorry if it is creepy, But you have such a way of connecting with things around you and things and places that you come across that i find bewitching. Marvellous post, photos, words and feelings x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah this makes me so happy yasumi! definitely not creepy! :)

      Delete
  6. Wow! That cathedral is gorgeous - everywhere you guys went is gorgeous!! I need to explore D.C. more outside of the usual tourist areas...aww and I'm happy to hear that Piri has a friend and they go on doggy play dates! That is the cutest thing ever!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dc is such a great area - so much history and funk!

      Delete
  7. What an awesome long weekend adventure! The cathedral and estate both look really beautiful!

    Rowena @ rolala loves

    ReplyDelete
  8. Recovering from long weekends are the worst! Lol, your weekend looks so lovely so I can see why the recovery time was especially hard. That mansion is so beautiful, the chandeliers are so spectacular. The photography you two captured is stunning. I love that you tried to recreate your long weekend post-honeymoon. I love the way you look a life. And that food is filling me with food envy right about now haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm so glad that you agree. i think i'm still recovering! :)

      Delete
  9. Wow, the cathedral is spectacular! What great photos! I imagine that I must feel just like you do when you are exploring and taking photos of everything you see. I've been to D.C. only once but would love to return and be able to explore everything in slow motion. I didn't get to see a lot. And I couldn't agree more with your choice in Thai, and that doggy playdates are the best! -Jess L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i hope you get to come out and explore dc. i think you would love it!

      Delete
  10. Such awesome photos, Jane:) The cathedral looks fantastic, and although the walk to the estate was cray cray, that garden sure does make up for it like you said:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you described it so well. the walk was seriously cray cray! :)

      Delete
  11. Your images are stunning. It makes me feel so close to where you were! =)
    I love that you two still got out even though your plans changed. I also really adore your HP reference. hehe
    xo,
    nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! love that you love the HP reference!!

      Delete
  12. Mmm, the photos of the thai food are making me super hungry! Looks like you both had a wonderful time :) Do you remember how long it took you to walk over to the gardens? I know it might have been a pain at that time, but I'm sure it will be a nice memory for you two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that food was seriously good. i think it took 40 minutes one way! but i could be exaggerating.. :) but yes it'll definitely serve as a good memory!! :)

      Delete
  13. AHHHH friend!!!! First of all let me just say that your photos are just stunning!!! WOW! Those shots of the cathedral just blew me away! And those garden shots....really!!?!?! Just such a heavenly place! I am glad you had such a lovely time!! Wishing you a great week ahead! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Change of plans can sometimes result in more awesome outcomes and super pretty photo :) I also love your outfit - so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The architecture looks stunning on that first building, it reminds me of York Minster, you should google it. It's very old. Funny hearing about these places in US, like Lancaster. Most of the names are taken from British towns, I live 20 mins away from Lancaster here!

    Buckets & Spades

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i agree the architecture and details were so so amazing! i'll definitely google york minster!

      Delete
  16. This place looks amazing, I love going to see stuff like this :) Gorgeous pictures xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love all the pictures from your latest travel adventure. Those beautiful architectures are worth seeing once in a lifetime, I want to go. And the Thai food looked authentic and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  18. the cathedral and gardens were GORGEOUS. i absolutely love chandeliers too Jane! each is different. i could stare at them all day. yummy food. glad you two enjoyed yourself. i like to do self-guided tours myself. you just feel freer.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Can I just say your photography is BEAUTIFUL!?! I am literally obsessed. I just got a "new" computer (hand me down from my mom haha) to replace my old Macbook that I got in 2008 and needless to say the screen's resolution is 4576845769 times better and it's like discovering your photography all over again. That picture in the cathedral with the shadow going across...it's absolutely breathtaking. And I am loving the one of the soda teehee. Also you two are so so cute together :]

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very nice pictures! I love DC, though I have not been in years. I like the natural history museum!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh! Love this, it's like almost we were there walking with you guys! Thanks for letting me discover Washington. How I wish I could pack my things and now wander around hillwood state and have some thai food! (yumm!) :) thanks for the virtual trip in amazing pics!!! love the one of you two on the mirror, cutest couple ever

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Winding Ridge Lane . Design by Fearne.