May 2, 2014

floral friday: while walking.

 // floral friday is a monthly photo project created by trishie at under lock and key // 


i missed out on last month's floral friday but happy to be participating again this month! and i know i know. y'all are probably wondering why i'm featuring a dandelion seed head. dandelions are weeds! but this month's theme is "while walking" and while i have come across such beautiful flowers during the weeks leading up to today's post, i couldn't help but realize that i came across dandelions the most, especially on my walks with piri. and while most people write them off as pesky little buggers, i actually have a fondness for them. 

first, i think they're so resilient. they thrive in the face of adversity. their seeds fly freely and land anywhere and grow and start anew. and i really like that. 

second, i have very special memories of growing up in korea and making all sorts of things with dandelions -- flower rings, crowns and beautiful bouquets. an unni {this literally means older sister and it's an honorific that is used within the family but also among people who are not related as well} who used to live in our apartment complex was so good at making them, using dandelions and white dutch clovers, and used to make them for all the little girls at the playground. she was definitely a favorite among us. and while working on this post, i got reminded of this time in my childhood and made a little dandelion ring for piri and me. 

i know dandelions can be an eye sore, but next time you come across a patch of dandelions think about how the might've gotten there. i think it's interesting to imagine their path to life. 
 // floral friday is a monthly photography project with different themes each month. this series is about fun and taking time out to smell the flowers. to play along, please email trishie -- trishie [at] underlockandkeyblog [dot] gmail [dot] com for next month's theme. 

 // linking up with under lock and key's floral friday photography project.  

35 comments

  1. I like dandelions, i used to pick them all the time as a child, they always covered the grass and I thought it was so pretty!! Beautiful photos doll, I hope you have a great weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jane,

    Oh no, so sorry, but we cannot love Dandelions. In our gardening days they were the bane of a perfect lawn but we did give them free rein in a wilder part of the garden. Unfortunately, even there they strangled less vigorous wild flowers until only a sea of yellow was to be seen. Give us clover with its dainty white flowers, give us wild daisies, give us wild poppies, give us primroses, snowdrops and bluebells but please no dandelions.

    We used to enjoy blowing on dandelion clocks to find out our true loves, however!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha - my mom used to hate them too and i do have memories of getting rid of dandelions from our backyard as a chore. it was terrible! :)

      Delete
  3. I love dandelions too, even though they are supposedly a weed. They are great for making wishes. Glad you're participating this month. You were missed last time!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always thought dandelions were kind of romantic :) Such a lovely picture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire dandelions for their resilience as well but I guess I probably wouldn't like them if I actually gardened.

    Rowena @ rolala loves

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! Love how you took photograph of it with black background.

    Katrina Sophia Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. gosh, i really love the first picture, Jane. wish wish

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love them! I would always like when the wind would blow and they would fly away. Or wishing and blowing on them. LOVE!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! loved seeing them fly away!

      Delete
  9. When I was a kid, I was always excited to find dandelions to blow on them. My sister and I would fight over them XD;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) i love how people have fond memories of dandelions!

      Delete
  10. I used to love playing with dandelions when I was a kid but not anymore! I just see them as weeds. Thanks for showing me another side of the resilient dandelion!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love dandelions too - and remember making dandelion chains and taking a wish when you blew them away.
    Happy weekend
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i love all these happy memories!

      Delete
  12. I actually love dandelions! I think they are lovely :-)
    I really enjoyed this post!

    Sarah xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah I remember blowing their tops when I was young, I still do sometimes today. What is their purpose? I do like them but they always look sadly when it's been windy.

    Buckets & Spades

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i haven't blown their tops recently. perhaps i will :)

      Delete
  14. Ah I like them too, I have sweet memories of my little brother picking them for mum as presents for her and of course the countless wishes I have ever made :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful picture! I like dandelions, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dandelion is one unique creation mother nature makes. Beautiful picture.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful memories of blowing the tops of dandelions asking for a wish! I love wild flowers (well, I know this would be more like a weed); I find the fact of plants making their own way fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Did you take the photograph?! It's so nice!! Does Piri like to nibble on dandelions? My friend's dogs loves to eat them! Louie doesn't eat them, but she likes to put her face on them and sneeze as they blow away.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your dandelion is just perfect.
    Ronnie xo

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Winding Ridge Lane . Design by Fearne.