May 23, 2014

in the kitchen: tomato & basil pesto pasta.

i don't think i will ever get to the level of cynthia over at two red bowls in terms of cooking and food styling/photography {seriously guys. if you hop on over you won't know whether you are drooling over her food or her photography}, but she certainly has pushed me to try playing around. i really didn't know what to do for this picture, but i had some tomatoes and basil left over and kinda scattered them around. hmm... perhaps next time i do this it'll be better thought out! 

in any case, i had come across this recipe a few weeks ago and had wanted to try it out. i made some minor changes to it - used canned tomatoes instead of roasted red bell peppers, pan fried my chicken instead of using rotisserie and since trader joe's had run out of penne pasta by the time i made it over, i instead bought fusilli. the resulting dish tasted slightly bland {but then again i like things a bit on the saltier side}, but it was good! i will definitely try it out again using roasted red bell peppers.

i won't repeat the ingredients and the step-by-step here, but if you are interested, take a look over here

happy eating! 

30 comments

  1. Chicken pasta dishes are definitely my go to dish, I never thought to add bell peppers but now I'm thinking they would work really nicely with the chicken maybe peppers and tomatoes! Though sometimes I add too many ingredients when I really shouldn't be :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm curious to taste it with the bell peppers! and i never thought to put chicken in my pasta but it worked out well!

      Delete
  2. Mmm this looks so good! I like tomatoes more than peppers, so this would appeal to me more. I saw the preview and my stomach instantly grumbled haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks marvelous, perfect for the summer weather :)) Light and fresh. Have a gorgeous weekend doll xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually like pasta dishes that are satisfying without being heavy and this one looks like it fits the bill. Thanks for sharing Jane!

    Rowena @ rolala loves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm the same way! i don't like it too creamy or heavy!

      Delete
  5. I think you did really well styling your pasta for the photograph :) Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos! Food looks good. Have a wonderful weekendxx

    P.S. I've been doing some odd things with pasta lately. Using pasta in Japanese style recipes....Japasta!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that sounds amazing! japasta!! i hope you blog about it!!

      Delete
  7. I love Two Red Bowls! The food is definitely my kind of food and the photography is always stunning.
    I actually cook every night at home but, I rarely, ever take any photographs of what I make. Mostly due to time but, I also feel food photography is quite challenging and without the proper lighting, food that may taste good won't necessarily look good to others. After all, we do eat with our eyes, too!
    xo,
    nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! she has such an amazing blog. and i agree with you - taking photos in the evening is definitely a challenge, even more so in the winter months because it gets dark so fast!

      Delete
  8. The first photo is styled lovely!!! And yummy recipe. Love me some basil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! and me too re: basil. i'm thinking i should really grow some of my own herbs!

      Delete
  9. Love the ingredients! I love a colorful pasta. This looks so good Jane.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks delicious friend! And not only that it is a pretty dish! I hope that you have a lovely weekend ahead! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh this looks so good!! And I love how you styled it!

    Allie of ALLIE NYC
    allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. You kiddin' me girl? This is absolutely beautiful!!! I love the scattered basil and tomatoes :) just gorgeous, and the pasta sounds delicious. Thank you so much for the shoutout -- I'm blushing <3 it was such a wonderful start to my day and at the end of a long busy week, so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is exactly my kind of pasta!! so simple, so fresh, so delicious. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love your photography. I want to make this immediately haha. Thanks for sharing :]

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Winding Ridge Lane . Design by Fearne.