June 27, 2014

clay jewelry dishes on a friday afternoon.

it's a slow friday afternoon. i like it. there is a slight breeze outside. we have all our windows open and some of the dragonflies are dancing just on the other side of our screen. i think they want to come in, but i'm a bit scared of them. it's hard to think that when i was younger i used to catch them by their wings and even tickle them on their tummy. 

anyway, i just finished up a quick simple diy that i thought to share on a blog before the weekend fun begins. i had been meaning to make these clay jewelry for a while but i just never found the time and patience to do them. but i finally started on them yesterday. 

what you'll need
 + clay {i used fimo clay that hardens over night} 
 + tin foil {to use as a work space while handling the clay}
 + rolling pin {to flatten out the clay - but i actually just used a flat smooth glass bottle}
 + a bowl {to cut out a circle and to place inside to dry over night}
 + scissor {to cut and smooth out ends}
 + decorative pieces {i used a couple of stamps, paint and also these cute mushrooms i found at michaels}
 + glue {if you are gluing anything on to your clay dish}
 + optional: spray paint {i used flat white and also used a gloss finish on two of the dishes} 

first working on top of a piece of tin foil, i kneaded my clay and using a smooth even glass bottle i rolled it out flat.

then i took a small bowl {the approximate size i wanted my clay dish to be} and place it over the flattened clay and pressed down. while the bowl was still over the clay, i trimmed away excess clay. after removing the bowl, i took a scissor to smooth out the circle. 

if you are stamping something on to your bowl - initials, a part of a doily or what not - this is the step where you will do this. i used a robot and heart stamp. 

next, i placed the clay into the small bowl and let it harden over night. i used three different types -- one flat dish, one that had a slight curve and a final bowl that had a slightly deeper curve. 

the following day, i took my hardened clay dishes and gave them a nice coat of spray paint. i used a flat white finish on one of them and a gloss finish on the other two. i think i could actually forgo this process. perhaps spray painting them wasn't really necessary. 

finally, i painted the heart and on the flat dish i glued on these mushroom decorative pieces i picked up at michaels. 

and they're done! 

what do you think? i thought this could be nice gifts to make. i can even picture making wedding ring dishes poking two holes in the dish and slipping a pretty ribbon through to hold the rings. 
thanks for reading. and hope you have a wonderful weekend. there is a dc capitol fair happening that i hope we can make it out to. if not then we'll probably share a bowl of popcorn and watch the secret life of walter mitty. that netflix disc has been collecting dust on our tv stand for a few weeks now. i think it's time we watched it already! 

34 comments

  1. Well done! The robot dish is my favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are soooo adorable, Jane:) I've been meaning to work with clay for awhile, and this sounds like a good project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing cuuuute jewelery dishes Jane ^__^ so
    nice to hear you've use Fimo clay c; Have a
    great Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my gosh! i need to change that in the blog post. it's fimo clay not firmoo! got it mixed up with those glasses! :)

      Delete
  4. So cute! These would make sweet gifts too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! i was thinking maybe i can make a few more and gift them. :)

      Delete
  5. Those are so cute! I love the one with the little heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. An another vote for the robot dish (-: (but all of them are so cute) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that one is adorably cute :) i love robots and their beeps

      Delete
  7. Awww, I want to try this! So inspired and it looks fun! Where did you buy the clay from? I use to love making clay on my own as a child. I would still like to do this, but am short-pressed for time, so I'd rather buy clay right now. -Jess L

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are adorable friend! I would so love to create something like this with the beans! Beautiful job and a lovely weekend to you! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh how wonderful! i hope you create it! i would love to see!

      Delete
  9. this is such a sweet idea! I have always wanted to play with clays but never got around to it. soon I hope!

    Katrina Sophia Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. playing with clay is so much fun. i haven't done it since i was a kid but i started this year and love it!

      Delete
  10. These turned out well! I love the one with the little mushrooms haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! those mushrooms :) just like in mario

      Delete
  11. this is such a cute DIY. The mushrooms are terribly cute! <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea, they turned out really well

    ReplyDelete
  13. those are beautiful! and would make for such wonderful gifts too :) x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, these are the sweetest! Just the other day I was thinking to myself how much I'd love a little jewelry dish for my (too many) rings. Now I can make myself one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh i hope you get to make one! i love rings! they are one of my favorite accessories!

      Delete
  15. Lovely idea! I want to try this too. I think I will use stone clay....hope it works out as nice as yours!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sounds great! i would love to see if you make yours. i bet it'll look amazingly lovely.

      Delete
  16. I have a little dish similar to these ones to keep my rings while I am sleeping. Yours are so sweet, specially my heart has to go with the little robot, too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Soooo cute! Love the mushrooms

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE this idea! Especially using the rubber stamp to make the robot, I never would have thought of that. It's so cute! When I move out I'm going to have to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your little robot stamp! Where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Winding Ridge Lane . Design by Fearne.