June 17, 2014

how did you, or your partner, propose?

what is your engagement story? 

some of you already know by now that yangkyu is a computer nerd. when we talk over dinner about our day and he goes on with his lingo, i sometimes wonder how i got so lucky to be spending my life with this nerd. so naturally our engagement story has a little something to do with this. 

he proposed at home. when i walked in through our front door after work, i found yangkyu with piri who had a bunch of balloons tied to his body harness. before yangkyu could say "welcome home!" piri was already running around with giant balloons bouncing around everywhere welcoming me home. yangkyu later said that when they practiced it, all went fine (aka. piri was calm and still). yangkyu didn't factor in the welcome home dance that he likes to do every single time we come home. anyway, each balloon had these pieces of paper taped to them. they had pictures and little notes about that particular moment that meant so much to us.  he then led me to my computer screen which read how much he would like it if we spent the rest of his life with me and asked "will you marry me?" with two clickable buttons - "yes" and "no." of course i clicked yes! i realized afterwards that when i tried to click the "no" button it kept moving around so that i wouldn't be able to click it. i laughed so hard. of course he would come up with something like this. i loved it. 

today, i am so very delighted to have nancy, kat and dani who agreed to share their  beautiful engagement stories on the blog today. i am awed, touched and moved by how all our stories are so different and yet so similar when it comes to expressing the bond and love we have with our +1. 

here are their stores:  

i never knew i wanted to get married until i was actually the one getting married. consequently, i never thought about being asked either. my now husband and i had dated for four years and knew each other as friends for two years before that. needless to say, there was a lot he already knew about my personality. for one thing, i am not a big attention seeker. it's fair to say that i like things pretty simple in life. knowing this about me my then-boyfriend kept the "event" classy and intimate. we dined at a local establishment where he prepped the staff there that we would be having an even more special dinner than usual. before dinner began, he made a romantic and sweet toast about our relationship and essentially, how much i meant to him. this gesture meant so much to me and I was caught up with his words that before i knew it, there was a ring and he had asked "the question." there was an awkward (short) pause as i repeated what he just said to me in my head. of course, i said yes! we joked that the pause could have been bad. and he said to me, "if you said no, we would have an awkward dinner." whenever we pass by the restaurant (which we actually live close to), we always think of that night and how remarkably un-awkward it was. -- nancy from adore to adorn, married for almost 3 years, san francisco, california. 

dk and i had been dating for just over 4 years by the time he proposed. the day came when dk decided to leave work early; it was just too nice to be stuck inside an office! he had been thinking of proposing for a while, and decided that it was the perfect day to do it. when dk got home, we took our dog, beamer, out for a walk into the beach. while on our afternoon jaunt, dk kept remarking on how the beach was where we fell in love; how it holds a special place in our hearts. in the midst of sitting at the edge of the lake and reminiscing on all the great moments we've shared together, dk pulled out a little black box and got on his knee. i don't remember exactly what was said, but it was something along the lines of "I want to grow fat and old with you" "if you say no, I'm going to throw you into the lake." "i don't have a huge speech thought out, but i want to spend the rest of my life with you." it was later revealed that dk had planned on proposing to me on our road trip a few months down the line, at disney world, but keeping the ring a secret was impossible. but i'm happy. the way he proposed was simple, sweet and low key. it was us. plus, beamer got to be there for it!  -- kat from us on cloud 9, engaged 1 year, toronto, ontario (canada).

it was sunday, august 7, a month exactly between our birthdays. stephen told me we were going to spend this day just the two of us - no phones & no interruptions. we made our way up the blue ridge parkway to a spot that overlooks the shenandoah valley. (the view is one of my favourites.) we ate a picnic lunch that he packed himself, took silly photos and just enjoyed being together. throughout our time up there, he gave me several letters that he’d written about things he loved about me. (our young romance budded over writing letters to each other throughout our days in high school.) at this point, i felt that he might pop question and was getting a bit giddy, but he had other plans. from there, we traveled to the farm where he had worked that summer so he could show me around. i got two more letters, we took more photos and walked around as he told me stories from his summer spent there. it was getting hot and late so at this point, i was getting kind of bummed and thinking “he’s not asking me today.” but stephen is one to throw curve balls and that is exactly what he did. he led me back to the car and told me we were going to one last place. we drove 20 minutes out into the middle of nowhere - or what seemed like it - to another farm that was owned by the same farmer. we grabbed a blanket and headed up to a tree that stephen dubbed “the lion king” tree. we laid down on the blanket and he handed me the last letter of the day, the 7th one. as I began to read, butterflies and knots started forming in my stomach. his words just melted me. i planned to give him the biggest hug i could muster up, but once i finished and looked up, he was on his way down to being on one knee. he said a bunch of things that i don’t remember, but tears welled up and i couldn’t get the word “yes!” out fast enough. we hugged and kissed and relished in the fact that we’re getting married! moments later, a thunderstorm rolled in. we grabbed the blanket, ran with tears in our eyes, and made it to the car just as it started to rain. it was the perfect day! we just celebrated our 2nd anniversary and next march marks 10 years of being together! -- danielle from lucky number seven, married 2 years, waynesboro, virginia. 

such wonderful moments don't you think? 

so now i'm curious to know your story - how did you or your partner propose? please share!

 // a very special thank you to nancy, kat and dani for sharing your stories. 

 // read previous installments of these blogger story sessions, "how did you know (s) was the one?" ; "do you have a secret code?" ; "what is the story behind your wedding ring engraving?" ; and "what were your special wedding day moments?"

this is part of a story series counting down to our 5 year wedding anniversary in august.  

49 comments

  1. How ironic that you would post this. I just proposed to my fiancee two months ago in Bavaria, Germany, in the middle of a field in the middle of nowhere on a nature walk. Nothing but the sound of the breeze and the birds on a warm spring day. It was perfect, as is she :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sounds amazing and so romantic!

      Delete
  2. What a great series! I love all of the engagement stories - the mouse that wouldn't click yes, the simple gestures, the letters. Alan made up a story about us having dinner with friends at a French restaurant. He told me to dress-up because it was fancy. I didn't dress up THAT much (wish I had though, my mom that morning even commented, "Is that what you're wearing today?" I was thinking why she even cared.) When he picked me up, he told me that the friends had cancelled and that it was just us. We pulled up to the fanciest French restaurant in Philly and I began to ask a lot of questions - why are we here? what are we celebrating? what's going on? I thought it might be the time but didn't want to jinx it so I stopped asking questions and enjoyed a wonderful dinner. Right before dessert, he made a little speech, whipped out the ring, and popped the question. I was floored. Didn't even hear the speech. It was so special. The waiter ran over with the champagne and said, "Whew, I almost missed it! I thought you {to Alan} were going to wait until AFTER dessert". Hehe. I love that everyone knew except me :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean "mouse that wouldn't click no"

      Delete
    2. lol :) such a sweet story! i actually do think i remember reading this on your blog now that i think about it!

      Delete
  3. Thank you again Jane for inviting me to share my story! I enjoyed doing so and reading the others as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a clever idea for a post. Love this! My friends got engaged in the backyard of Graceland, and an Elvis impersonator married them, and I probably should not type the next sentence...they are divorced now. : (

    Allie of ALLIE NYC
    allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no :( The engagement sounded like fun though!

      Delete
    2. oh gosh! that is such a great story and sorry to hear that they are divorced now.

      Delete
  5. Jane, I love your engagement story. I was chuckling, imagining Piri do the welcome home dance with balloons tied around him, and then I seriously laughed out loud when I read that the "no" button was programmed by Yangkyu to not work! Hahaha. What a clever fella :)

    Danny proposed to me at home, too. I'll have to write a more detailed post about that day, but photos from the day can be seen here: http://kidgranny.blogspot.com/2012/08/farewell-boyfriend-hello-fiance.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i would love to read more about the story! i absolutely remember seeing those pictures! so so cute! and i love how louie is a part of everything!

      Delete
  6. Your story is so adorable - what a lovely engagement. I enjoyed reading the others too!

    http://audreyallure.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. those are so sweet and bring tears to my eyes!! aw!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Again, another very good idea of a story! I love how Yangkyu proposed to you! Very creative and sweet! I've never heard of anything like it before, and you two make me smile. =) -Jess L

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, I love hearing other people's engagement stories! What fun!!!
    xo TJ

    http://www.hislittlelady.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tee hee. I love the story about Yangkyu's moving "no" button. Rick proposed over homemade lobster roll sandwiches in the part behind our apartment. I knew it was coming because I'd helped him pick out the ring, I just didn't know when. I only clued in after we'd planned the picnic and I said that there might be rain that day. Rick looked crushed and insisted that we would have the picnic inside if that happened. Rick usually relishes any excuse not to go out so he can stay in and game so I knew something was up, but on the day of the picnic I got super nervous that maybe I was wrong and was putting too much pressure on Rick to propose, so we were both really weird around each other the whole day until we finally got to the park and finished our sandwiches (no rain afterall) and he took out the ring and proposed. we were both so nervous we cried through the whole thing and it was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh that is such a sweet story. it's so funny how we learn to pick up and read each other's moves. :) the day really does sound perfect.

      Delete
  11. Your stories are so beautiful and heart warming! Yangkyu is brilliant :)

    Hiro proposed on a beach in Okinawa. He was acting like a crack-head all day....fidgety and nervous. I was so shocked that I couldn't speak. I just nodded. Actually......I never really said yes! *stares at wedding ring*.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D so cute yasumi. and in okinawa! how amazing. yangkyu wants to go there so much. i do too! looks so peaceful there.

      Delete
  12. Oh my goodness, that is the cutest story ever - the "no" button moving around is hilarious!!! I can't blame Piri for being too excited to sit still for an exciting occasion like that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Leave it to Yangku to create a program that wouldn't let you say NO! :)

    Why am I not surprised that Piri wasn't able to sit still with those balloons attached to him?

    Thanks for letting us share our engagement story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) thanks kat for sharing your story! love that beamer was a part of it!

      Delete
  14. This is great! I loved reading the other stories and yours as well! Everyone has such an interesting tale. I don't think I can imagine a "bad" proposal since it's so personal and always filled with love. =D
    Thank you for having me be a part of this touching series. =)
    xo,
    nancy

    http://www.adoretoadorn.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is just too cute, I'm obsessed with these stories and all the cute stories you and your readers share. Thanks for brightening my day :]

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so sweet. Great series. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. All of these engagement stories are so beautiful and touching! I can picture Piri running around with the balloons! So funny! I've never been engaged. A guy really really liked me. We were friends, but I didn't want anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks kim. there are so many things in life that people don't know what they want. it's refreshing to hear how you knew what you wanted and followed through. xx

      Delete
  18. Oh my gosh. I am just in love with this series -- so brilliant! These stories were so incredibly touching. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What beautiful stories. I love how each one is so unique to the couple - it was perfect for just them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very beautiful stories, I loved it!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. The moving no button is super funny/awesome and Piri running around all excitedly with the balloons - he he he, very cute! I love this post so much - when I meet couples I always ask how they met and if they are married how the proposal went down. I'm definitely a snoop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i was reading the stories before and all the comments as of last night and yangkyu caught me off guard and asked why i had this silly smile on my face. these stories and everyone's comments made me feel silly happy! :)

      Delete
  22. What amazingly sweet stories! I love the uniqueness of each one - they can say so much about a couple!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i agree! thank you for reading!

      Delete
  23. It is so sweet! Love proposal stories whether they are lower key or elaborate plans they always put a big big smile on me. Love Yangkyu's idea of the balloons in Piri (cuteness x1000000 ;P), I bet this was a big clue that something awesome was going to happen :)

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Winding Ridge Lane . Design by Fearne.