August 8, 2014

summers in the backyard.

i grew up with a huge back yard. in it my parents had a beautiful vegetable garden and my mom grew roses. summers in the backyard were especially fun. i played with my childhood cocker spaniel bobby, although most of the time he wanted to run away, and i did endless amounts of cartwheels and round offs pretending to be a gymnast doing a floor exercise routine. but one of the best parts about playing in the back yard was running through sprinklers and getting soaked from head to toe. during the fall i had to help rake the leaves which was no fun, but summer, that was different. summer was fun. it was glorious. summer was what stuff of dreams were made out of. 

after many many many years of urban/rental living, i now have a backyard. it's not nearly as big as the one i grew up with but i have one. and i love it. i play with another cocker spaniel now, piri, and while i don't do cartwheels and round offs, my heart is doing them a million times over. next spring yangkyu and i are going to start our own vegetable garden. i'm not sure about roses but i would love to have hanging plants all around our backyard. 

just so i could revive those childhood memories to the max, the other night i asked yangkyu if he could test out our fire pit. because as much as backyards were a big part of my summer, so was camping. every year my pops took us camping and i also spent time at girl scout camp - camp glen spey. my favorite thing about camping was the campfires and eating marshmallows and listening to stories as the fire glowed deep into the night.

this is my favorite season. we have a little over a month to enjoy it to the fullest. but i wish it could last a few months longer. 

27 comments

  1. Your garden looks lovely and I can see many good things happening here! I am looking forward to seeing it grow.

    I grew up with a huge garden. I used to get lost for hours and my 1st adventures where found within it. We grew beans that we harvested, shelled and kept for when times were hard. We grew maize and avocado too. Since living in UK and London especially, we cannot afford to have outdoor space. It makes me sad but I suppose at least I have a park nearby and a window....little things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. parks make up for backyards! avocados maize and beans sound so lovely to grow.

      Delete
  2. It must be awesome to have a backyard again and I bet it's fun to Piri too. I love living in NYC which also means not being able to have a backyard but at least we have a terrace. Enjoy!

    Rowena @ rolala loves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was 4-5 years ago when my husband and i were saying how one day we'll have a backyard for piri. the other night i was telling him how sometimes i still pinch myself that we actually do now. piri was aging and so we were afraid we would never have this space for him. i'm so glad that we do and he gets to roam freely :)

      Delete
  3. Your grass is so lush! I'm sure Piri loves it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i love when he goes exploring :)

      Delete
  4. What a lovely post, I'm sure every person who read it was taken back to there's for a second.

    Buckets & Spades

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your blog is so pretty in both the photos and the words...I LOVE this post so much, Jane! It really made me think of my own childhood...I loved doing cartwheels and roundoffs in the yard and the sprinklers were for sure the best part haha. I am so so glad for you that you get to have this beautiful yard of your own now ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful memories and YAY on starting veggies!!! Love that space you have there pal....it is perfect! And I hear you on the length of summer....seems to have sped by this year!! Enjoy every second! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i can't wait for that veggie garden. i hope i don't fail at it! eep!

      Delete
  7. ah super lovely :) I saw a girl doing handstands at the beach yesterday and it made me think I need to learn or get my body capable to do one! Camping and backyards are such lovely things and I think because both involve nature :) If we ever get our own place a rose garden is on top of my to-do lists - well maybe after some veggies and herbs and fruit trees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i love doing handstands in the pool! :) rose garden would be lovely. i think i'll end up killing it though!

      Delete
  8. Wow, your lawn looks fabulous! We have one of the tiniest backyards ever, but fortunately we live near lots of parks and playgrounds so the girls can run and play. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. parks and playgrounds definitely make up for a backyard :)

      Delete
  9. Being outdoors in the Summer is naturally relaxing. Glad you have a backyard again. Nice blog, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jane, your new yard is beautiful! You'll be creating new memories. A backyard is always lovely to have. Enjoy yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love your backyard! it's beautiful. i wish i had one too

    ReplyDelete
  12. Plant raspberries (in a container) it will add to the memories of us eating pints and pints t a time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my gosh! total memory flash! i loved picking raspberries in your backyard and eating them. and your amazing pool :) so many happy memories!

      Delete
  13. Looks like the fire pit was a success - now for some smores!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the fire pit in the backyard! Stu and I always wanted one but never got round to it. Your yard looks lovely and a great size - easy to maintain. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh! Have you already tried marshmallows in your own fire pit? I've never had a backyard in my home, although my grandparents had a countryside home, so lots of grounds to go biking and so on. I'm sure your backyard is going to treasure lots of wonderful memories as you have of your parents' one.

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Winding Ridge Lane . Design by Fearne.