September 9, 2014

If you're ever in Virginia, go to Luray Caverns.

Every summer, when I was a child, my dad would plan these family camping trips. I hated them. Spending days and nights with mosquitos and other gigantic bugs that made creepy buzzing noises wasn't really my idea of fun {although I do miss camping now as an adult!}. But one year while we were camping, we took a trip over to a nearby cavern. I can't recall the name of it but I do remember a spot - maybe a green circle? or heart? and if you stand on it your wishes would come true. I remember being in awe of that cavern and so when Yangkyu found one in Virginia when we moved to these neck of the woods, I wanted to go in a heartbeat. It was called Luray Caverns. Our first visit was about three years ago. We have been there two more times since with friends and family. Our latest trek was over Labor Day Weekend. 

Along with the underground cavern, which takes about an hour to see, there are also other attractions like a car and carriage museum, a garden maze, a rope adventure park and a Luray Valley Museum where you can also buy a small or large bag of little rocks and go gem mining. We bought the big bag and out came tons of small and big gems of all cuts and colors {my Instagram of us going gem mining was featured by Luray Caverns}. There is also a cafe and also a gift shop. We bought some Virginia peanuts and a little bird house in the shape of a fox. I posted a picture in this post. It's so cute, but it took a while for Yangkyu to guess what it was {a felt fox doll with a hole in its stomach?}

If you like a little of history and find wonderment in natural formations, this is a great place to spend the day. Tickets are $24 for adults and $12 for children. For us, it took about an hour and a half drive and it's always a fun trip over. On our latest visit, our friends reminisced childhood by singing nursery rhymes from Korea, some of which I remembered, and also songs popular on Korean college campuses. I didn't recognized any of those since I didn't go to school there but it was nice to hear. 

Below are some pictures from our latest adventure at Luray Caverns. 

48 comments

  1. wow! look at that cavern - the shadows and lights in the darkness are stunning. as are those colourful rocks - so beautiful! I just have to go to Virginia don't I? x

    Miho @ Wander to Wonder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's is quite fascinating that this type of things exist underground. the formations were really really impressive!

      Delete
  2. I've never been to a cavern before...wow! I'm missing out! Thanks for sharing these awesome pics as usual, Jane:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think you and your kids would love the adventure and history!

      Delete
  3. The caverns look amazing, what a fun day trip! A few years ago I was in a very popular cavern in Mallorca and it was an amazing experience. Oh! and that bags you can do gem mining are too fun! It's the first time I see them. Do you already have plans for those gems you got?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i bet it was a super fun and amazing experience. my friends suggested i make some jewelry out of them but i am not sure if i have the skills to. right now they are just sitting bored in one of my glass jars!

      Delete
  4. Never been to something like this before, it looks amazing, love the pictures :))) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been to a cavern before, this is awesome! reminds me of thunder mountain at disneyland (I'm sure this is 100 times prettier haha.) great post!
    www.lettersimpromptu.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Luray Caverns!! It's been a while since I have last been. Need to get up there soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh if you go there again it would be so amazing to see your perspective if you decide to share on your blog. your photos are always so poignant!

      Delete
  7. Wow!!! That looks so spectacular & I love the gems you found!!

    xo, B
    www.BKCsquared.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Omgosh what a findings! Look at those minerals and gems! c:
    You could turn them into nice jewelry and accessories c:
    I love history fortunate so I would love to take this trip!
    The cavern looks lovely yet scary as it reminds me of a scene
    of a horror movie :c Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. some folks have suggested the same - turning them into jewelry! i don't know if i have the skills to do it but maybe i should look into it more! :)

      Delete
  9. Whoa. This place looks soooo cool. I love stalactites and stalagmites. Also, GEM MINING! I remember there was an old mine in BC that you could tour and they'd let you pan for gold at the end. The gold you got was always tiny little flakes, so this looks like so much more fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh mariko! you know your formations!! :) that is really cool, even if you get tiny little flakes. guess what i got? i got fool's gold! :)

      Delete
  10. Wow! That looks like so much fun. My husband and I love those kind of places and digging for rocks; we're amateur rock hounds. We will definitely add this to our list of places to go digging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awesome! i hope you'll find a place to go that is similar. there were folks next to us who bought several bags to find gems. they found really awesome ones!

      Delete
  11. The caverns look so cool! I felt like I was Batman and and suddenly wanted to go spelunking while looking at these photos. I saw the tips of sunflowers too lol so I'm sold about this as a travel destination!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WHAT, oh my butterfly, how beautiful! I've always wanted to explore some kind of cave. These photos of this one are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think you would find some amazing adventures in one of these caverns!

      Delete
  13. Oh my! Definitely have to put this on my list!!
    xo TJ

    http://www.hislittlelady.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those caverns are so cool! We visited some in Salzburg several years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I find caves super enchanting, ever since my family took me to some as a kid as well. Whenever we have the opportunity to whilst traveling we also add caves to our itinerary :) Love the gem mining too! Got some super pretty ones :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's so cool. when i saw those rocks i somehow thought of you!

      Delete
  16. Gem mining looks like fun! The caverns are so beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello, Jane; In my prefecture, limestone cavern and pic of the Luray Caverns is really familiar scene for me ♡♡♡ But not Gem mining, Wow!!! How interesting(*^_^*) I really LOVE the peace Bell.

    So sorry for my belated comment and absence; Haha, still struggle really hard with my new Windows 8.1(^^;) 

    Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my young friend, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is so neat! i loved that peace bell too. i rang it a few times :)

      Delete
  18. Ah this place looks awesome! Reminds me of Jenolan Caves here. Those rocks are super pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i looked up jenolan caves and it looks awesome!

      Delete
  19. I was here as a child but I have no recollection of it. Would love to visit again as an adult. This is one of those kinds of places that truly celebrates the beauty of nature! You're so lucky to be close by now :)

    Rowena @ rolala loves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so neat that you've been here! There are some spots that I've gone back to as an adult and I have such a different perspective of it :)

      Delete
  20. That is so cool! I would love to go there. Beautiful stones!

    ReplyDelete
  21. My beans would so LOVE to see that!! What a beautiful sight!! Wishing you a glorious weekend friend!! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. S T U N N I N G G G G G G G . Can I steal that sunflower picture to use as my desktop background? I'm so obsessed with it. And these caverns look incredible, I had no idea there was something like this in VA!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful images, as always! I truly envy your photography skills. I remember more than a decade ago, my sister, father and I took an impromptu trip to Yosemite and visited a nearby cavern. We saw a few bats inside, and our guide went on to tell us that many cosmetic companies incorporate bat feces for mascara. I don't know if that's true or not, but that trivial info has always stuck out to me.

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Winding Ridge Lane . Design by Fearne.