October 29, 2014

#1000cranesforPiri

Growing up, I heard a story about a young girl in Japan who was sick and she attempted to fold 1000 cranes so that her wish can come true. Throughout the years I have seen similar stories of people, inspired by this girl, who would try folding 1000 cranes. They were mostly people who were sick and trying to overcome their illness, or from people who would fold these cranes on behalf of someone going through a hard time. 

I remembered this story one day after I found out about Piri's stage 3 kidney disease and picked up some colored paper made specifically for folding cranes and began to just fold. I don't know what I was doing but I was willing to embrace anything to help us through these uncertain times. 

Here is the real story behind the paper cranes. Sadako Sasaki was two years old when the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima. She died on October 25, 1955, from Leukemia. Sadako folded cranes daily hoping to create senbazuru (1000 paper cranes strung together) because a person's dream is believed to come true.

This story brings a lump to my throat and it makes me emotional, not only because it's sad, but also it's very uplifting and teaches me about patience, perseverance and believing. 

After I shared this photo, people on Instagram sent us so many caring notes, messages and emails and began to fold cranes for Piri as well. Some also created a hashtag #1000cranesforPiri. You know, I sometimes get so disappointed in people, but there are times when they bring a lump to my throat. I'm so very thankful for the community out there who are all rooting for Piri. We can't cure kidney disease, but we do hope that we are stalling the disease from overtaking his little body through good diet and medication. He hasn't been eating well and hasn't been able to take his medicine on some days, but he also has some tricks up his sleeve and shows bursts of energy and appetite when we least expect it. The past couple of days he has eaten well and tomorrow we are going to a new vet for a second opinion.

We are surrounded by love. I hope everyone is lucky enough to have this kind of love and support when they or their loved ones are going through tough times. Let's all remember to show love to those around us who need it the most and graciously accept when it's given to us.  


#1000cranesforPiri -- thank you everyone who send us messages, folded cranes and shared with us on Instagram. 
Top row (left to right): @winterm ; @mulberrytreeds ; @valerie_cracker
Second row (left to right): @thecatyouandus ; myself 
Third row (left to right): @lulu_and_me ; @nelliescustomcakes ; @ice__pandora


 // Linking up with Blogpaws Wordless Wednesday bloghop 

33 comments

  1. Aw, this is so sweet! I've said it before and I'll keep saying it again and again: Piri has the best humans a doggy could have. Silkworm and I are going to fold a crane for Piri tonight, we'll try to remember to get a photo for Instagram!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you carly for folding a crane for piri too! xx

      Delete
  2. I'm still hoping to fold one for him, sadly I'm not good at it. Cheering sweet Prir on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to hold back the tears as I was reading this post. I am hoping for the best for your family. We're all rooting from Piri, from all over the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You deserve all these, Jane. Thoughts and prayers for Piri. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome that your followers rallied together like this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so sweet of everyone - thinking of Piri <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. aww yay so beautiful! I learned the Sadako story in primary school and it has always stayed with me, hope is one of the most important things we can have :)
    (now I'm off to hunt for some easy crane making instructions!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you fee for folding a crane for piri!! xx

      Delete
  8. Oh Jane, this made me tear up. Feel better, Piri, you are so loved!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh I am just now learning about Piri!! Sending positive thoughts and healing vibes his way!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is very sweet of everyone, stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did see this on Instagram and I've just told Hollie of the stories. We all really love Piri over here and have shown him off to a few of our friends. I will definately try and make one for you bunch.

    Buckets & Spades

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. xx thank you so so much mat!! so sweet of you!

      Delete
  12. I remember reading Sadako's story as a child. I think I was in 4th grade. It really touched me as a child and I remember feeling inspired to fold cranes as well. It helped I was already into origami as a hobby. I did not make 1,000. I always remember stopping. But, your story reminds me of this and I feel the urge to re-awaken the hobby I have kept dormant. Especially for sweet Piri...

    xo,
    nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i remember folding all different type of things when i was little too including the crane. folding again has unlocked all these childhood memories

      Delete
  13. This touched my heart! I get disappointed in people too, but it's awesome people like the one's that made those cranes for Piri that bring me JOY! So nice and I didn't know about this story. So meaningful.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm always thinking and praying for you guys! I'm going to try and make some though... just need to youtube how to make them! haha xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jane, your words are so touchy sometimes. That's why I find your blog so sincere, so real. I've never heard of cranes before, in my country people usually tie their colorful fabric pieces into tree branches to make their wishes to be true. But it doesn't matter what we believe on, it really matters how much we wish and want. All my thoughts are with you, and I hope your Piri gets well soon.
    And also I hope that we all always have this kind of nice people around us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. such a pretty gesture with the fabric. thank you so much for your sweet words!

      Delete
  16. this is a lovely and heartwarming idea, especially considering how it started. i think I must have some origami paper lying around somewhere - I'm going to dig them up and make some cranes for Piri! x

    Miho @ Wander to Wonder

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sweet Jane, I'm so honored to feel part of your online friends :) we are all three keeping Piri always in our minds so he is feeling better every day.

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Winding Ridge Lane . Design by Fearne.