October 27, 2014

The boy who cried wolf.

Lately I've been feeling like him. You know, the boy who cried wolf. 

Piri had some rough patches these past few days. He has lost his appetite and when he is able to get some food in, he can't hold it down and throws it back up. I have been on my wits end and had some crying spells sprinkled in a few of times during the weekend because I am on edge and I am desperate for him to eat. He did manage to finish up a bowl of boiled cabbages and chicken on Sunday afternoon and that lifted my spirits up significantly. But later on that night he threw up and also asked to go out during the wee hours of the night because he had an upset stomach. If you see my Facebook status updates it goes from one end of the happiness spectrum to the other end, which is total despair and nervousness. As soon as I post something about Piri being terribly sick he would eat his heart out and be in good spirits. And the minute I get excited and let the world know of his good condition he'll throw something up, have no energy, sleep for hours on end and we'll be back to square one. 

After I came back from letting Piri out at night, I couldn't go back to sleep and frantically searched online for how to prepare meals for dogs with renal disease. This I did a thousand times over, but I always feel like I'll find something new. But instead I found a forum where one lady was seeking help in taking care of her dog with end stage renal disease. It was terrible. The whole strand within the forum went from having hope to ultimately putting her dog to sleep because she just was not eating. This all in the span of one month. I cried.. and cried.. and cried. 

There are such joyous moments when you own a dog. It's really indescribable the happiness you have when you are showered with the love from a dog. But there are moments like this. Moments when you heart worries and breaks. And I am learning what it really means to be there for him when he needs it the most. To show love, care, patience, warmth and strength. 

Through all this I feel like I'm slowly losing control of other aspects of my life. I have been good about getting quality sleep so I can function throughout the day, to promptly respond to emails, requests and be on top of my routine and getting through all my tasks and responsibilities for the day and week. I have not been able to do any of this and it's making me feel unproductive, irresponsible and, well, like I don't have control over anything anymore. I sometimes feel groggy and don't want to do anything except to see if Piri will eat. I need to come out of this zombie state. I am trying. 

I think this weekend was a good start to try and get back on track with things. It was a good busy kind of Saturday and Sunday. We had a Dogvacay guest who was just the happiest little guy - Gizmo, a 10.5 week old Havanese puppy. I took care of some holiday Dogvacay booking requests and meet and greets and we finally got around to chopping up some logs for firewood. We also spent an impromptu gathering at our friends house around some warm fire and dinner, too. Piri was with us and got some comfy cushions to lay on and massages. He loves those. I am thankful for these moments and these wonderful people who we recently became friends with who love and care for Piri's well being as much as we do. I really think things happen at a certain time and for a reason. Our meeting them really has been some kind of wonderful. 

Hope your weekend was a good one, and hope the week is even better. 

PS - We learned over the weekend that Miles crossed the rainbow bridge. If you remember, Karen had shared their wonderful story on June's feature of "A Girl and Her Dog." Miles was 15 years old, just like Piri, and his story has really touched my heart and taught me about perseverance. Wishing Karen much peace and comfort. Rest in Peace Miles, you sweet sweet boy.  

46 comments

  1. oh, i'm sorry to hear that. i hope piri is getting well sooner than later. poor little boy. and i hope you get a decent rest too, Jane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much niken. it means so much. xx

      Delete
  2. Awww. So sad!! Great pics and post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear about your little sicky! My rat, Hadley, hasn't been feeling very well these days either, but I think now that I have an idea what might be wrong, I'll be able to help him get better. I hope Piri feels better, soon, too. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much carly. i hope hadley feels better soon. sending healing thoughts your way. xx

      Delete
  4. oh! I really hope Piri gets better soon...hang in there ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear about Piri, Jane :( Can the vet prescribe anti-nausea pills for him, or would you rather that he takes a holistic approach for his health?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. piri hasn't been great about taking his meds. in the mornings especially and i just don't feel comfortable with him taking so many. he was just prescribed another medication for his ears. sigh. i've been trying to look into the holistic which i believe as well but i don't know... i feel like with the holistic approach it takes time... and i feel like time is what we don't have. we're taking it day by day though. he's been having an ok day today so i'm a little bit more relieved..

      Delete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear that Piri isn't feeling well again. Sick pets are the worst. Gatsby, Kala and I are sending him lots of "feel better" vibes. *hug*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks mariko. it means a lot! xx

      Delete
  7. ugh. my heart feels for you and your family. Poor Piri. I can only imagine. While I don't own a dog, I can only imagine how heart wrenching this is to see your beloved dog not enjoy the basics of eating. Thinking of all of you...
    xo,
    nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to read about Piri. Sending some POTP xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally understand, Jane. My husband had dogs, and it is heart-breaking when they get sick. Just hang in there. It is good that you have great people to surround yourself with. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor sweet Piri, I'm rooting for his comfort! >.< You puppy guest is sooooooooooooo much cuteness!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry to hear Piri's been having a difficult time :( hang in there Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My heart goes out to you, it is not easy fun when your pet is sick. My cat has not been easy but she has tons of energy I think she is just getting picky. Gizmo is so cute, funny but there was a young cat for adoption at the Petco near me and his name was Gizmo.

    Allie of ALLIE NYC
    allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you xx and another gizmo. a cat though! :)

      Delete
  13. awww I hope Piri will get better soon >< I'm sure you are very worried... thanks for sharing your story! much love
    www.lettersimpromptu.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really hope Piri gets better soon. All love to him and both of your too. So sorry to hear of the other dog that was lost as well, so sad. I hope they will feel better in time xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Piri, please get better soon! I know you are trying your best so I am sending you some extra energy and good vibes from London to help a little bit.

    Jane, such beautiful light filters through your home! It's magical xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sending my best thoughts to you and Piri, dear Jane! My story is very cliche - I used to be afraid of dogs because no one I knew had them until my housemate moved in with her toy poodle Mimi and I fell in love. You just need to spend time with a dog to love it, that's it. Now I play with EVERY dog I meet. Cheers to our canine pals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much katie. it means a lot xx

      Delete
  17. I'm so sorry about Piri. I wish him comfort during this up and down time. I wish that for you as well. Give yourself plenty of time and space to feel whatever you need to feel. Cute photo of Piri and the pup. That is one adorable pup.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This must be such a hard time for you all :-( Hope Piri gets his appetite back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Merwin is sending lots of cocker spaniel kisses and love to Piri and Merwin's humans are sending their healing wishes too. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much kelly and merwin xx it means so much!

      Delete
  20. Jane, I'm really sorry you and Piri are going through this. I had a dog years ago that was a diabetic. When we took her in, she was already one. We had to give her insulin and everything. She did fine, until she got older. It was really hard to deal with. She passed at the doctors. Hang in there.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dearest Piri, come on boy you have to eat!
    Jane and us wants to be you healthy, joyful
    and happy dog again c: so please do eat.
    Lots of virtual pettings and huggies from me!!
    Also, rest in peace Miles :c Xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sweet little Piri... Its def not fun when our pups are sick.... or that they're getting old for that matter. I'm always thinking the worst now that Bosco's getting up in age :( Sometimes I wish I could rewind time a little. I'm always thinking and praying for you guys! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  23. awww Jane, what a tough time to have to go through, there isn't anything I can say that will help but I'm certain Piri is the luckiest to have you guys so attentive over him in such hard and happy times :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Jane that's not good news! I know from personal experience a dog is another family member and when they are not well, it's heart breaking! And with all that going on you have still managed to take such beautiful photos! send much love to you all. x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Poor Piri! It's tough enough with him being sick but also with him not being able to keep food down? Ugh. I hope that you guys are holding strong for him and that you're taking of yourself as well (sleep is a very good thing). I'm holding you guys in my thoughts and heart

    ReplyDelete
  26. The garland in the ninth picture is beautiful, and I hope piri is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Keeping you, Yangkyu and Piri in my thoughts ♥

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Winding Ridge Lane . Design by Fearne.