October 24, 2014

Thoughts on baseball to head into the weekend.

Have you been watching the World Series? 

I haven't watched baseball in like forever. Throughout elementary school and junior high school, I was madly in love with baseball. I was first introduced to it by my 4th grade teacher, Mr. Sobel, who taught us math through baseball by letting us create our own fantasy teams and figuring out player averages and such. He was a NY Mets fan and so I fell in love with the Mets as well. I collected baseball cards and had boxes and boxes of them.

I also got to go to see some ball games, all at Yankee Stadium. One time I was able to go with a few girl scouts from the UK who had no idea how baseball was played and so we taught them the rules while they taught us who to cheer, British style {and boy did they have a pair of lungs}.  

Then came the early nineties and I fell in love with the Atlanta Braves. I had all my favorite players - Tom Glavine, Steve Avery, Mark Lemke - just to name a few, but I liked all the Braves players from the 1991/92 roster. I would check the newspaper for score and standing updates, watch the news at night and those silly baseball shows which would air at odd hours during the weekend. I swear, I think probably 14 people watched it, me being one of them. I remember my young heart being broken two years in a row watching them go to the World Series and losing to the Minnesota Twins in 1991 and then again to the Toronto Blue Jays in 1992. I saw them win the title in 1995 but that's when I began to slowly lose interest in baseball. 

But as an adult, I continued to sporadically go to see games -- when I lived in LA for a while I went to a Dodgers game to root for the Mets who were in town and where some Dodgers fan told me to go back to NY as I was the only one rooting for them. It was ok though, the Mets totally won that game. And after moving to Maryland with Yangkyu we caught the Washington Nationals game {who I only found out recently were the Montreal Expos - what?! When did that happen!}, again when the Mets were in town, but unfortunately it got rained out and we went home without spending the 7th inning stretch together {7th inning stretches at Shea Stadium/Citi Field were always so fun}. 

I used to get excited when October would roll around for the Fall Classic. But year in and year out I didn't care much, until a couple of nights ago. I tuned in -- San Francisco Giants vs. Kansas City Royals and the excitement came back. Me, Yangkyu and Piri all cozied up on the couch and began to root for the Royals {I knew someone from LA who is an absolute loyal fan and so I found myself supporting him and his team}. And then I began to re-watch the world series recap videos from 1991, 1992, 1995 and 1996. I also began to look up where all my favorite players were now. Some have gone on to be inducted into the Hall of Fame or became coaches themselves, while others had not so great endings. It was bitter sweet. I remember some of them as rookies or stars and to see them now in a not so great place made me have deeper, profound thoughts about the choices we make and the circumstances we are in that put us in a different trajectory in life. But I think that is a story for another time. 

For a long time, baseball was stuck in the early nineties for me. But Yangkyu and I both decided that we would try and follow it next season. We're just having trouble figuring out which team - the Mets? Or the Nats? Or maybe the Braves {although now I don't like the Tomahawk chop they do and wish they would stop it altogether}. We're not quite sure yet but we hope to watch/make it to the Nats season opener in April where they will face.... the NY Mets. 

This weekend, we'll be watching World Series games 3, 4, and 5 with a guest. We have a Dogvacay puppy coming to stay for the weekend so it'll be nice to have another paw to cheer the Royals on. Oh and of course, I hope to be knitting, too. I just received my package from Wool and the Gang and I'm so happy I can hardly contain myself. 

Happy weekend to you. See you on Monday! 
  // I have a scarf and a cowl in mind. I love knitting with big needles. Knits up super quick and chunky yarn is always so soft to the touch. // 
  // Been mixing white rice with some brown and long grain wild rice. The combo is ... interesting. // 
  // I decided to just juice the last of our remaining apples. No pie again this year. Ah well. // 
 // Switched our comforter cover yesterday and retired some more clothes to turn into rag rugs. It's yet another thing I want to do but lately I have been feeling so desperately behind in things -- emails, reading blogs and such -- but I hope to slowly get back to my regular routine soon and start and pick up on different projects again. // 

29 comments

  1. So so so into the playoffs and World Series !! Love my giants! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've never followed baseball, but i played it back in school. i'm a football (or soccer in US of A) person though. have a great weekend for you, Jane!

    p.s : i love your bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we tried getting into soccer but only watch it during the world cup. perhaps one day!

      Delete
  3. My dad always liked to take me to the Dodgers game when I was a kid, but I never really took an interest in the sport. BUT I was always excited for the food :) I guess some things never change. & BTW -- you lived in LA for a while?! Ahh why didn't we cross paths then?! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha :) wait is it the dodger dog that is so famous? :) yes i used to live in LA! right in koreatown! i know right! why didn't we cross paths then! :)

      Delete
  4. This year was kind of bittersweet in terms of baseball for me since it was Derek Jeter's last season. We started watching the Yankees pretty much when he came up with the team. It would've been nice to see him in the postseason one last time but the team just played so badly. I hope the Royals win. They look like they have some magic this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i so remember when jeter was a rookie! and when the yankees went against the braves twice in the world series! :)

      Delete
  5. When in highschool I love to play 'slagbal' and it's similar
    to baseball c: even though I more mishit a ball than actually
    hitting it far away, I still enjoy this game.
    Love to read your story ^_^
    The 'Wool and the Gang' looks like good yarns! Working
    with big needles are also a lot easier to work with as well c:
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed hearing about your baseball memories Jane, I was immersed for a second there. I have a thing about American sports, both American Football and Baseball. My best friend loves NFL and college, he has a subscription - it seems so much more exciting over there, proper family entertainment. Our sports get ugly and not always a fun thing to follow. I really should love to America (when I get the opportnity)

    Buckets & Spades

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so awesome mat! thanks for sharing!!

      Delete
  7. Without getting too wild, I am an absolute fan! =) Baseball is one of the sports I really follow and have a lot of passion for. I am absolutely rooting for my home team, SF Giants. I grew up in SF and remember going to games often. People often say that because I'm from the Bay Area/SF that I should root for all Bay Area teams but I only have passion for baseball and football (SF 49ers). I don't tend to become a seasonal fan when it comes to sports because I feel like it's not very authentic. This isn't to say I don't get in on the fun but, I won't have the same emotional attachment to a win/loss. It's funny isn't? That a game played by "strangers" can cause such human reaction?

    Have a great weekend and enjoy the games!

    xo,
    nancy

    http://www.adoretoadorn.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so so awesome! i used to love steve young and the niners! that was way way long ago :) the giants have had great games!

      Delete
  8. I've never been a baseball fan :( LOL I love football and basketball. But baseball has great food! Hot dogs. Yummm!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I don't really follow sports, but it's so nice that you and your husband are following it together. And love the knitting projects!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't even know it was the world series. Whoops! The rice mixture looks super healthy though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know anything about baseball :( It's not got much of a following here in UK not like soccer does - I love soccer. I like your rice mix idea. I have been mixing my rice with grains lately it's so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! soccer. we tried getting into it but it only happens during the world series. sigh. :)

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. yes! i still haven't gotten around to knitting them up but i can't wait!

      Delete
  13. I've never been much of a sports fan but sometimes I get jealous of people getting so excited for their team of choice! I too am a bit behind, I'm just catching up on blogs now, too much real life living (never a bad thing) but I love reading my online peeps too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe. i know what you mean! i once had a neighbor who loved basketball and i guess her team won cos one day during one afternoon all i heard coming out of her unit was "whoop there it is! whoop there it is!" haha

      Delete
  14. I watched the SF Giants join the World Series... it is just not a sport I care about at all.

    7% Solution

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize how rude and negative that sounded! I just meant to say I'm not a huge sports fan.

      Your bed looks lovely and very comfortable though!

      Delete
    2. haha it didn't sound negative and rude! :)

      Delete

Latest Instagrams

© Winding Ridge Lane . Design by Fearne.