October 31, 2014

Thoughts on finding the right fit to head into the weekend.

Guess what guys? 

We met with our new vet for a second opinion for Piri and it was great. She was knowledgable but not pompous, calm and reassuring, caring and professional. She listened, she made sure we were comfortable and most importantly she made Piri feel calm. 

And you want to know what else?

Piri began to eat his kidney diet food. An entire can. It was tough trying to get him to eat a quarter of a can for the past two weeks. Our new vet noticed that his blood pressure reading was too low and suggested we take him off of one of the two medications he was prescribed. She also sent us home with a couple of new k/d food brands to try and also an online resource for us to learn more about kidney disease in dogs. 

I went through a battery of emotions since his diagnose and yesterday, while I was happy, my emotions continued - from being happy, to angry, to puzzled. 

I wasn't 100% happy with our previous vet. Right from our first visit she said and did things I didn't like, prescribed one medication after another even though I was telling her he wasn't eating well and every single lab result she delivered was in such a dramatic fashion and she stressed me out completely. I recall telling friends how I expected more of a calm and reassuring diagnosis and next steps, not a delivery where she made me feel like it was the end of the world. 

I thought back to that conversation yesterday and while a part of me wanted to be to critical of our previous vet, instead I thought, perhaps it's all about finding the right fit. 

Isn't it like this in most aspects of our lives? People are always looking for the right fit - the right person to lead a team on a project, the right personality to take care of our children, the right kind of professionalism to handle the  most intricate details of the most important and serious days of our lives, the right click with a partner to live the rest of our lives with. So while I wanted to write a seething review, I reasoned with myself and thought.. she is probably a really great vet to someone else. I just happen to be not that person. And so instead of focusing on being negative, I decided to take away positives, like knowing how to be more assertive and proactive about finding the type of person who I would like to guide us and our dog through this inevitable stage of kidney disease. Someone who is knowledgable but not pompous, calm and reassuring, caring and professional. I think we may found our fit. We're crossing all our fingers and paws over here that she is the one.

What do you have planned for the weekend? Now that Piri is slowly coming back to being himself {not only is he eating, but his energy level is coming back up, too} we are thinking of heading out to seeing some fall foliage at Shenandoah National Park. We would love to go back and take in some fresh air. It'll do all of us some good I'm sure. 

Hope you have a pleasant weekend. 

PS - I truly really appreciate all your thoughts and concerns with Piri these past few weeks. I'm sorry if I babble on and on about him and his condition. Thanks for bearing with me, reading, listening and also being there. It means so much. xx 

45 comments

  1. This is all sounds really positive. I think that finding the right fit is important in so many areas in life especially when it is an area that requires a personal connection within a caring role. I am so pleased to hear this news. Fresh air and autumn sights sounds like a perfect way to spend a weekend. Have a good one xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you yasumi! hope you had a lovely weekend~

      Delete
  2. This new vet sounds awesome! I'm so glad you decided to get a second opinion, and that Piri is responding well to their recommendations!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh i'm so so glad we got a second opinion as well. yangkyu actually asked for it as soon as we got the diagnosis but i finally moved on it when everyone else encouraged us to. sometimes it takes me a while to do things.. i'm so glad i did this sooner rather than later though. xx

      Delete
  3. Three cheers for good news! I'm glad to hear things are looking up. (It was totally the 1000 Cranes project.) ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad to hear Piri is acting and feeling like his normal self again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks cindy! he's not eating again today but i think he may be just picky and will eat once yangkyu comes home. but his energy is continuing to be the same which i'm thankful for. i hope his blood pressure will be at a normal range when we go to the vet again this week.

      Delete
  5. The new vet sounds brilliant, am glad Piri was able to eat the new food as well, that's great news. I hope it continues to get better. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a step in the right direction for Piri! Hopefully things will continue going well with this new vet and she can give you all some peace of mind when it comes to Piri's care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad that you find the right vet for you and piri. and that he eats his kidney diet!
    i love your positive attitude towards things. have a great weekend, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY! So glad to hear Piri is feeling a little better! Such great news! But I hear ya and I'm all for second/third/forth opinions! ha We didn't like our first vet when we moved to NC... then we tried another and we love them.... almost as much as our NY one! ;)

    Happy Weekend guys!

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice images:)

    PS: You're welcome to join my giveaway, would be much appreciated if you participate:)
    http://bridgeofmemories.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/giveaway-design-your-own-cases-and.html#comment-form

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! sounds like a great giveaway! thanks for the heads up!

      Delete
  10. So glad he is doing better! And what an important message...the right fit! Yep I would say that is something we all seek everyday and way to go on taking the high road with that vet. I recently had to see the doctor and walked away a bit thrown by the doctors words towards me....best to walk away and get another opinion! Have a great weekend friend!!! Nicole xo Oh and your yarny collection up there is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes so so true! hope your weekend was a great one!

      Delete
  11. I'm so glad to hear good news about Piri :) also I love your thoughts on the right fit, I've never thought about it that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there are so many perspectives out there!

      Delete
  12. Oh, wow how great and happy for Piri and all of you to hear the good news♪ Oh right fit is the new concept and true, isn't it☆☆☆
    Hope you'll enjoy the fall color, Jane.
    Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad that piri is eating more! It's great you found a vet that was the right fit, she sounds great. I hope to one day be a vet like that, understanding and reassuring ^^
    Your weekend plans sound lovely, I will be spending my weekend painting and studying for midterms (wish me luck)
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. best wishes as you follow your dreams of becoming a vet! xx much love to you! and good luck on your midterms!!

      Delete
  14. What a positive post. It's incredible to be able to turn a negative experience into a positive one, and I think that it takes a lot of strength and character to do that. I hope that Piri continues to feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i absolutely agree with you - most of the time, it's not about one being right or wrong, but finding the right fit and match. i am so glad that things have turned out for the better, and that Piri is on the up - he is so often in my thoughts! x

    Miho @ Wander to Wonder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! summed it up nicely! so on point! :)

      Delete
  16. I'm glad Piri is doing better!!! He's a fighter for sure! Also, I just love that super chunky yarn-- it makes your creations look so much more luxe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! i'm in love with chunky yarn!

      Delete
  17. I'm so glad you found the right fit and it's really nice that you were able to find that perspective on your old vet, I think a lesson I need to take on board myself! Go piri!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So pleased to hear that Piri is eating and generally doing better xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad to hear you found a new vet your are comfortable with. Finding the right fit, especially with health care professionals is sooooo important, but often hard to do. Hope Piri continues to feel better, and keep knitting up a storm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is so so important and yes i agree, so hard to do sometimes. i have felt that way with some of my primary care doctors.

      Delete
  20. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he keeps the food down and that you guys have found the vet that works for you. Unfortunately we can't be as choosy with our vets and farriers so we've got to trust the guys to do a good job when they're out seeing our horses. Luckily Ryon's been pretty healthy so far (knock on wood)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much and so so good that you have found a good vet among the few that are out there for ryon. hope he has good health throughout! xx

      Delete
  21. I had two dogs and know exactly what you're talking about. I had to change vets, because one was just too sterile and non-caring. So glad you found someone better Jane! Glad Piri is doing better.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so glad you found someone right for you. It is so important that Piri is being treated by someone you trust, someone who feels right.

    ReplyDelete
  23. When I read about the good news (on IG) of the second vet it made me so happy!!! I like how you talk about the right fit for everyone, you're definitely an inspiration to see things from a better perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You are such a kind-hearted person...that's such a positive way to look at the situation! I'm afraid I would be the kind of person to write a seething review haha. But you're totally right, maybe that vet is perfect for someone else. I hope the new vet is right for you guys!

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Winding Ridge Lane . Design by Fearne.