October 3, 2014

Why hello little guest.

Yesterday I stepped out to go out for an appointment with my eye doctor when I noticed something from the corner of my eye. At a quick glance I thought it was a gigantic spider and I freaked out. Then I noticed it was a turtle. I have never been greeted by a turtle before and while he was on the smaller side, he still looked big. Does that make sense? I hope that makes sense.

I yelled at Yangkyu who was still inside that there was "a turtle, a turtle!", and through the see-through storm door he just looked at me like I had three heads. When he finally looked where I was pointing he was just as astonished as I was. 

We were close being late to our appointment but I didn't know if I should call animal services to help him go along his way or if I should just let him be. I hoped he wouldn't meet some cruel people.

Later on a friend on Facebook told us that he was an Eastern Box Turtle and they live in the woods and hibernate in piles of leaves. He was probably looking for a place to spend the winter. 

After we came back from our appointment he had already gone along his way. I hope he found some comfy leaves to spend his days on. 

29 comments

  1. wow. that's so fun to see. I would have been concerned like you. Too bad you were running late as it would been great to know where the little guy ended up. =)
    xo,
    nancy

    http://www.adoretoadorn.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i would've loved to help him go along his way. usually i stop and help but he didn't seem injured so i let him be. hopefully he found some comfy leaves to stay for the winter!

      Delete
  2. He has such a lovely pattern on his back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i agree! and his colors were so pretty!

      Delete
  3. That is the prettiest turtle! HAHA I would've been alarmed too. Hope all went well at your appointment.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful! I would have been tempted to keep him even though I know that it is wrong. Hiro loves creatures and he would have been worse than me.

    When I was little in Kenya, I had a tortoise. He ran away. His name was speedy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! speedy the tortoise! i love it!! xx

      Delete
  5. What a pretty turtle! I hope he found a nice spot for the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that is a big turtle! Hope he found a good home too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen a turtle in an "urban" environment before, but my brother in law apparently sees them all the time where he lives in the country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i haven't either! i looked it up and apparently others have had a eastern box turtle visit them as well. i hope to see him again :)

      Delete
  8. That is so bizarre and awesome - I wonder what adventures lay ahead for him!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, crazy. That would make my week. Wonder where he's off to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww, I hope he found somewhere cozy and warm! He's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww! He's a really pretty turtle :]

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely surprise! He is very pretty, I hope he found a nice pile of leaves for the winter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! i hope he found some nice pile of leaves as well!

      Delete
  13. Wow, never seen a turtle in a residential place :) it must be a very fun find, much better than a giant spider, hahaha. Wish him luck to find the perfect spot for his hibernation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i haven't either! this is my first time seeing but i looked it up online and apparently many people have had eastern box turtles visit them! :)

      Delete
  14. What a beautiful design it had! What a cute guest, I only have mosquitoes as visitors!

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Winding Ridge Lane . Design by Fearne.