October 20, 2014

Windy afternoons, chilly evenings and pumpkin carving somewhere in between.

We're staying in bed a little bit longer in the mornings, hugging our blankets a bit tighter to keep the warmth in, snuggling in front of the space heater and wearing the hats, scarves and neck warmers I knitted for all of us when we go on weekend errands. It's getting chilly, and windy {!}, out there. 

I might've not liked the chilliness, but over the weekend we did some yard work - pulling out crabgrass in one area of our yard and seeding grass seeds all over again. It was hard work and I was glad that we weren't doing this in the middle of summer. But Yangkyu at one point thought he was going to faint from dizziness from shoveling, pulling and digging so much. It was hard work for sure, but I loved it. My mama used to say when I was little that I had the strength of an ox. Ha. I think if she said that while watching me do yard work, Yangkyu would wholeheartedly agree with her. The only thing I didn't like was seeing all the worms. I remember not being so scared of them when I was little but then I grew up. Now I'm scared of a lot of things. 

Anyway, have you ever dealt with crabgrass? They are stubborn buggers with roots so long and tough that you really need to yank them out - without of course trying to break off the roots. They are everywhere. It's quite stressing to see. We're not really sure what we're doing in terms of seeding grass, but hopefully we'll see some new greens sprout up in a couple of weeks. 

Oh and hey. We now have pumpkins all carved up and sitting pretty outside our house! We did them yesterday and put up orange lights as well. We've been carving pumpkins for three years now {see last year's and the year before} but the lights are a new thing. They seem to have trouble staying up with tape along the edges of our window so I'm gonna have to figure something out. I'm planning to get some other window decorations up but not sure really sure if I'll get around to them. We'll see! 

This week I'm also hoping to finish up some neck warmers to send to a couple of girlfriends and also bake some pumpkin cream cheese bread. I think I'm also bringing down our sweaters and switching our comforter covers as well. These two things always seem to really seal the deal for me that cold weather is here to stay. 

Hope you had a wonderful weekend! 

62 comments

  1. Aaah, ooky spooky loveliness, your house looks fantastic! Neck warmers sound like a great idea right now. I think it was 60 degrees (F) in the house when I woke up this morning, and 30 degrees outside!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous pictures as always! Ready for some chilly weather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very nice pictures...
    and cool pumpkin carvings. We've actually never carved one before. :P
    I hope the weather will cooperate and stay a bit warmer so that your grass seeds will germinate! Just make sure to water deeply once a day until the seedlings come out.
    we hate crabgrass ourselves! but you do get a good workout from pulling them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah i would've loved to have everyone over for a pumpkin carving party. perhaps next year :) and oh we're still crossing our fingers over here with the grass! hope we didn't miss the time period! :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Jane! I LOVE those pumpkins! I love all things fall in general, especially that awesome chill in the air (I'm weird, I know lol).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhhh...Piri, soooooo sweet, made me smile, love that face :))) I never want to get out of bed, as soon as I can feel it chilly, I just want to stay inside wrapped up. The treats you've been making are gorgeous, love that!! I hope your week is bliss doll xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post is way too cute! And the pumpkins are adorable. That pic of the doggie with posing with the pumpkins is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your carved pumpkins! Winter is coming, time to bring out the heavy comforters. I'm always freezing at home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yea, when I pull out the down comforter and puffy jackets, it's fall/winter :). Just love your decorations like the bats and orange lights. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the last photo of the jack o lanterns with Piri in the shadows!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jane you sunmarized your weekend very beautifuly, these images make ma warm <3 Here in Istanbul, it's getting chilly too and it's better to stay inside and feel "home" feeling with cooking, movie watching and cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cooking and movie watching sound so so cozy. :)

      Delete
  10. Glorious photos! You've really given me a taste of the festivities. You also make me want to go out and collect leaves now your arrangement looks so nice haha.Maybe I'll try it sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! hope you do go and collect the leaves! :)

      Delete
  11. Awww! Love the little pieces of your autumn that you shared with us Jane! And Piri's smile made my heart skip a beat I swear! I'm glad your weekend was filled with happiness, here's to a fabulous week <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! hope your week was fab too!

      Delete
  12. Piri is so cute in the photos; it looks like he's totally grinning from ear to ear in one of the photos! Awesome job with the pumpkins, they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh gosh! cozy Piri is just the cutest! love your pumpkins! they turned out great ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the pic of Piri on the porch with the pumpkins. They just turned on our heat last night. I can handle the chillier temps now :

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! i've been turning on the heat in the mornings! so cold! and my toes are getting super super cold too!

      Delete
  15. this is the nicest and cosiest autumnal post i have read yet! the chill in the air does make it hard to get out of bed, but it makes huddling indoors so much nicer too :) i admire your gardening skills, I need some so badly! x

    Miho @ Wander to Wonder

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome pumpkins, Jane! And yeah...crab grass sucks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Crabby grass is hard to dig up! I bet it was hard work. Great job with the carving of the pumpkins. They really look good. That's work too! That pasta dish looks really good.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are such tricky fellas! their roots are so hard to find sometimes!

      Delete
  18. We have a problem with the onion weed here which is also a pain to get rid of with similar very deep long roots. I'm terrified of worms too! I still scream when I accidentlly touch them while tending to the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. eecks. yes i don't like worms. not looking forward to them when we start our garden next year!

      Delete
  19. These photos are so beautiful! You always the best collection of photos. Piri looks so adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Everything looks so cosy! I love that you guys do pumpkin, the little ghost is the cutest.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love Piri in the background of those pumpkins heheheheh. And his little scarf is TOO MUCH!! Also I'm so jealous of the chilliness there...everything you're describing about clutching the blankets closer etc is what I'm craving. It's still in the 70s-80s here boooo.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those pumpkins are too cute! And of course, Piri is adorable too. It's been getting colder in Canadaland, too. I've got 3 blankets on my bed. Love all your knitted work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! oh my gosh! 3 blankets! :)

      Delete
  23. Replies
    1. thank you! amigurumi is still so hard and tricky for me but hope to get the hang of it soon!

      Delete
  24. Aww that shot of piri smiling is so cute - love your pumpkins, was fun to see your previous years too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such cute pumpkins! All of them are adorable -- but I think my favorite is the happy ghost!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that happy ghost one is mine! :D

      Delete
  26. sounds so lovely. I love that you carved pumpkins! I also think it's so sweet of you to knit some neckwarmers for your friends. =D
    Also, your comment about being scared of a lot more things now that you are grown reminded me of me. I used to not feel fear over the "small things" but, as you said, I grew up and suddenly the same things freak me out. Plus, I worry so much more now. Over everything. Even the small, insignificant tasks.
    xo,
    nancy

    http://www.adoretoadorn.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. why is that? i'm so like that. but i'm like that with big things too like public speaking and getting on stage. when i was young i was like ok whatever.. i have to get on stage but now it's like i hatee it!

      Delete
  27. Looks like you guys are ready for Halloween!
    Amazingly carved pumpkins Jane :D Xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Piri is so cute! Your pumpkins look great-I love the one with the little ghost on it :) Lovely photos!

    hellostrawberrie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you!! that little ghost one is mine! :D

      Delete
  29. Yes, the little ghost pumpkin is so adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm really looking forward to more indoor cozy time at home! I love your carving each year, but this time that little cutie ghostie is stealing my heart! :) - Btw, that pasta looks super yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Winding Ridge Lane . Design by Fearne.