November 10, 2014

My sunburst granny square dilemma + other weekend things.

A few months back, I saw a pretty sunburst granny square blanket and wanted one for myself. And so I picked up my crochet hook and scoured Youtube to find tutorials and I crocheted away. One sunburst after another. The squares I made were definitely sloppy and not very pretty but I plowed on anyway because all attempts to create clean looking squares went out the window after the bazillionth time I tried starting over. All I wanted was a finished product. I got to about 60 something squares and then I went into a rut. A sunburst granny square rut. I hated the way they looked and I couldn't find the motivation to continue on. And so they just sat there in my little crochet project bag waiting to be joined and finished. In the meantime I went on to knit and crochet other things like hats and scarves, blankets and dolls. I felt like I was cheating on my sunburst granny squares. Oh that sounded slightly dramatic. Ha. 

Anyway, I found some renewed motivation over the weekend to pick up on my granny squares again. I went to our local yarn shop and picked up a few new yarns and also a new crochet hook in bamboo and got to crocheting squares again. But then my inspiration was short lived. I still didn't like the way they were turning out. The white border - round 4 - was driving me nuts. 

I wondered.. was it the yarn? Was it the triple crocheted corners? What was it? 

I must have crocheted 10 different squares switching up yarn and using different crochet stitches. And just as I was about to throw in my towel again I found it -- a granny square that I could live with. And so my spirits were uplifted once more and we're in production again for some really colorful and cheery sunburst granny squares. Still slightly sloppy but an improvement from when I first started. 

Yay!

I'm still trying to figure out what to do withe previous ones. I was thinking maybe I can create a small area mat or use them to wash dishes {I already use ones that are crocheted instead of sponges but they are store bought}. We'll see. I'm sure I can come up with something. 

The weekend was a good one! I did some shopping, had some friends over for some pizza and we're watching their dog, Mini the Westie, while they are away in NY for a night. She is definitely a sweetheart and among other things on her resume you will find "professional squirrel chaser" listed. The way her ears perk up when our nut eating friends scurry past her is a delight to see. 

Have a wonderful week everybody! 

19 comments

  1. aww the puppies are so adorable.. your granny squares don't look sloppy at all! the color combinations are very pretty.
    www.lettersimpromptu.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The squares are lovely to me, I like the colour in the middle and the way it bursts out from the neutral colour. You will get there, I can't do this to save my life, so you are doing better than I would. I used to do Latch-hook, I was a bit obsessed with it growing up, I made rugs, coasters, pictures, anything I could, haha. Wonderful pictures...I hope you have a great week ahead :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to make a granny square purse a long time ago, and I got into a rut as well. I actually never finished mine, lol. I must have misplaced them when we were moving houses. Anyhow, I'm glad you didn't give up -- they look very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwwe! Mini is a cutie! And I agree with everyone else, your squares look fabulous to me! I always love the color combos you pick!

    PS: We have a few more paper cranes to make and then we're sending them your way! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The granny squares looking amazing! Youtube is a
    great source for learning really haha. And please
    don't feel discouraged! Practice increases imperfections ;)
    Anyway, lovely pictures of your Piri and Mini! What
    a cutiepies! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Westies! Mini is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mini looks so sweet! Hope she and Piri had a wonderful time together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your photography always makes me swoon. The mundane instantly seems extravagant. I actually really like the granny squares you have here and think you should continue to build onto them, maybe make a cute little blanket or something lol. Mini is adorbs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking at all the stuff youve knit/crochet makes me wna learn too! Any idea how/where beginners like who knows absolutely nothing about it should start? And everything looks amazing on your blog and instagram! From your dogs to your knits to your life~ Stay awesome ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used knitting video tutorials from Sheep & Stitch and Wool and the Gang! They are super super helpful and helps with the most basic! As for crocheting, I bet there are also some helpful video tutorials on Youtube as well!

      Delete
  10. Well the one's here look fabulous to me Jane! I love the different colors you used. I'm like you! If something doesn't look right, I get frustrated. HAHAHAHA I think you're doing and excellent job. Keep it up!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how persistent you were with getting your crotchet squares looking right, haha! Hope Mini and Piri had fun together :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Using them for dishes is a fab idea. I love your persistence for persistence.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The guest pooch photo with the rainbow skeins is definitely my favourite. You have such an eye Jane

    ReplyDelete
  14. Westies are so darn cute. Love that shot of Mini and Piri touching noses!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't know anything about crochet techniques (wish!!!) but your granny squares on top look so pretty! :) So does your paper crane vase! How cute are Mini and Piri together, sure Piri makes an amazing host.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your squares look great to me but I have an untrained eye :). Love the bright colors!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have an idea for your left over squares - Yarn bombing! A nearby town recently went yarn bombing mad, I'll have to blog about that soon but it looked so pretty and made me smile :) I love your new squares too - super pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are seriously the best crochet motivation! I want to get into it every time you post about your work.

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Winding Ridge Lane . Design by Fearne.