November 19, 2014

What is the one dish you must have on your Thanksgiving table?


Thanksgiving is next week and usually about a week and a half leading up to it, Yangkyu and I swap recipes, new and old, to make - everything from the turkey, side dishes, drinks, rolls and pies. But this year we decided to spend a low key Thanksgiving. We have a Dogvacay guest staying with us and going through the large amounts of leftovers between the two of us gets pretty tiring usually at the second and third day after. So this year we decided to cook only one of our favorite side dishes each and pick up the rest, portioned out for two people, at the grocery store.

For me, I can't do without creamy fluffy chives and garlic mashed potatoes and gravy. For Yangkyu {while he loves mashed potatoes, too} it's the stuffing with sausages apples. As for pies, I think we'll  pick up a slice each of pumpkin pie and coconut pie and also cheesecake too just for heck of it. 

What is the one dish you can't do without on Thanksgiving? 


PS -- How to have a sustainable Thanksgiving holiday

PPS -- These hamsters are having the most adorable sit down feast.

PPPS -- Don't forget about shelter animals this holiday season. 


Infographic via The Splendid Table. 

18 comments

  1. Rolls, I really can't do without bread bread and more bread. I've found two pretty perfect roll recipes that are probably the only recipes I've bothered to learn and perfect (probably because I don't mind practicing and eating the results)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't share your the thanks giving holiday with you guys and even then it's a feat like that. I must admit I'd love to get my eat on like you guys do one day. Admittedly, Christmas day is when we tend to eat like that here :)

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanksgiving isn't a holiday in the UK, but since I'm American, we always have a small thing at our home. There must always, ALWAYS be some stuffing there, haha! I've loved stuffing since a child, I would dream of it before the day came, also a pumpkin pie or sweet potato pie with whipped cream, those are all I need on this day, haha :)) I hope it's a wonderful time for you :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. stuffing for sure! I'm down with trying a new stuffing recipe every year though, don't (currently) have a particular one that I swear by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Besides turkey... I need for there to be some sort of potato.. and pie. Definitely pie. My husband will want stuffing. Mmm yum!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite menu item for Thanksgiving is actually honey baked ham (sorry, turkey!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Macaroni & cheese is always a must at my house, but I absolutely cannot have a Thanksgiving dinner without 4 obligatory slices of my Grandma's sweet potato pie lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. You guys have picked my 2 favorite sides - mashed potatoes and sausage stuffing! If I had to add another one, it would be buttermilk biscuits. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Being Chinese, we don't really follow Thanksgiving traditions but my grandfather usually makes a really incredible soy sauce chicken for our family dinners on that day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you have a wonderful feast ahead of you

    ReplyDelete
  11. We don't do traditional Thanksgiving dinners, instead we do what we call a hot pot. You put a simmering pot of stock at the center of the table and cook raw ingredients as you eat. Having hot pot dinners scream holidays for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Turkey, stuffing and sweet potato pie! LOL I couldn't limit it to one. I love mashed potatoes and gravy.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh the mash sounds great! I'm jealous of you thanksgivers and the feasting - how adorbs is the hamster meal!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know much about Thanksgiving but Hiro and I share your sentiments with food. We try to only buy what we need because wasting food makes us feel so bad. So at christmas time we try to buy just enough for us sometimes it's heard because food companies cater more for families and larger gatherings.

    That mash you like sure sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not into Thanksgiving food or leftovers but this year, my son really liked the sweet potato casserole I made, so I think I'll have to do that every year. Until he gets sick of it, of course ;).

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't do Thanksgiving without my mom's cranberry sauce. It's the absolute best thing on the whole planet hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We don't do Thanksgiving in my country but that's a nice
    planner and organizer! The Tiny Hamster video is just
    toooo adorable! Xx

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Winding Ridge Lane . Design by Fearne.