December 17, 2014

5-day black & white photo challenge.

I've seen these 5-day black & white photo challenges taking place on Instagram and so I was a bit surprised when I got tagged to participate on Facebook. I was wary of doing it because as with a lot of things I was afraid I would do it wrong. 

Do you love black and white photos? 

I do, but I can't pinpoint why. I feel like I don't understand it but yet on some superficial level I find them to be beautiful, dramatic, moody, dark and mysterious. They bring out certain feels that color photos can't. I can't pick up on shadow plays and lighting and moods and other technical factors that make a black and white photo great, which is why I feel so superficial when I say I like them. 

But nonetheless, I snapped away at my iphone. A couple of days I found myself straining to find the perfect moment, but most days they came naturally. Here were my five photos. 

What do you like most about black and white photography? 

Day 1: I'm wondering what kind of happy conversations are taking place under these roofs. At the end of a good day I like to look at that horizon and hope that others had a good day as well. 

Day 2: I'm still trying to figure out how light and shadows play in little corners and crevices of my house. Sometimes they are kind, but most times they are tricksters.

Day 3: Maybe Moro from Princess Mononoke.

Day 4: Bokeh!! 

Day 5: Winging dinner tonight. 

21 comments

  1. I first learned photography using black and white film so black and white photos always have a special place in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great black/white pictures Jane c;
    I love greyscalled pictures as well!
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are beautiful, moody photos! I like the bokeh effect :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great, Jane! I've always been partial to b&w shots because they are inherently "classic" for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They make me focus better, on shapes, textures, light. They speak strongly.Those are the main reasons. And reallylike yours! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I *love* black and white photos, but not necessarily the kind where you just turn a color photo black and white and do nothing else to it. Like, I love whatever filter you used on these to make them look soft and matte-textured. There has to be something interesting, like a grain or a softness--pppbht I don't know what I'm talking about, anyway, these are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have enchanted me with these pics. Sometimes I use black and white film to photos of old people in the street - not sure why I insist on this...something to do with the mood?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love B&W photography. As you stated, they are beautiful for obvious reasons but I think it's the ability to capture a story without the help of color. As the photographer, you have to re-think what the image's story will tell. You also get to play with lighting a bit more and capture/show details based on that. It's so interesting and definitely captures a different mood.
    xo,
    nancy

    http://www.adoretoadorn.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dearest Jane; I LOVE B/W pictures as I grow up with them p:-) I remember smiled a lot seeing my late father's picture with funny old glasses when I was little. And one of his hobby was taking pictures.
    All of your pictures have elegance and moods, my young friend♪

    Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm definitely partial to b&w pics myself, sometimes a photo just looks better without colour :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do like B&W photos, but I'm not very good at it :( LOVE that photo of the dumplings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's something enchanting about Black and White photography. Which is why, I have them all over the walls of my house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Black & white photos definitely add an air of mystery! These shots are beautiful - I especially love the one of your front door!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love black and white photos mainly because you pay attention more to the emotions and details since there is an absence of color! I love our black and white photos!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love black and white photos. I edit mine a lot, and I feel more comfortable doing it in b&w than in colour. they are per definition more artificial, trying less to represent something that actually exist. besides, I can double my creativity. first while shooting, second while editing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love them with portraits of people. They always look so regal.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love black & white photos. Always. Don't know why exactly too.

    Katrina Sophia

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful photos. I remember when I worked in a mall photo lab and we had this B&W film that worked in colour process, so you didn't need to send it out for developing. It usually had a slight blue or pink tinge to it, depending on our machine, but it was so much fun to use.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are stunning! I especially love the Christmas tree one, it's so stunning and festive.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your b&w is so charming Jane! The mood they create is very special, I like about b&w that they can give much different depth to pictures, specially with some portraits that otherwise would only be too bland.

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Winding Ridge Lane . Design by Fearne.