December 11, 2014

Handmade.


Every Christmas, Yangkyu and I send cards to all our friends and family, but for nieces and nephews and close friends with children, we also sent them Christmas themed books. Year after year we had so much fun picking out children's books we think parents would enjoy reading to their kids or budding readers who were eagerly reading on their own. One of our favorite books we got for little ones was a book called When Santa Turned Green, which teaches kids the importance of caring for our planet. 

One year we realized the book we sent to one of our nephews was way past his age group. He was reading much more complicated things. Oh boy. The kids were getting older and we had a hard time picking out young adult books. We were also losing track of which book we had sent to who. And so, we thought of a new way to send gifts to our close friends and family. And that came in the form of baked goods. 

That was last year. The year when I felt like I wasn't so afraid of the kitchen and my oven. I baked thumb print cookies and also oatmeal cookies, and while they exceeded my expectations in the taste department, mailing them was a different story. It just turned into one big worry fest -- Will the cookies go stale? Will they break en route? Will it turn out to be more expensive than I had planned? While I would've loved to roll up my sleeves and try out a new recipe this year, I turned to a different form of making.  

This year it was all about yarn. 

A couple of days ago, I finished crocheting 36 of these tiny Christmas trees. Aside from the green ones, they are all made from yarn left over from other projects. This feels even more special. It's like sharing a piece of my yarn memory from that specific project with whoever was getting them. 

I spent a chunk of yesterday wrapping them in tissue paper and twine and also added Jessica's holiday tags. {I used them last year, too!} The cards {we went with Minted again this year} are also done and everything is ready to be mailed and shipped. 

I hope everyone likes it. 

Dig back into your Christmas memory and tell me, what is the most meaningful gift you received? 

// You can download these holidays tags here. I used white card stock paper and printed them on my Canon Pixma MG3120. // 

48 comments

  1. I love all of this, handmade gifts are just the best...those trees are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are the cutest gifts ever, I love them :))) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just lovely! All of it. I also love your choice on the card...it ties with the tree ornament perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so sweet of you! Love the little xmas trees! Fabulous gift idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure your friends and families will love these little yarn trees!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh! What's not to love about these trees?!? Too adorable, Jane. You should be proud.:)
    Our family is not too big on handmade gifts unfortunately...sigh....only the hubby appreciates it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How adooorable are those yarn pinetrees!
    The packing is really sweet as well c: cute
    tags and papergoods! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! i need to improve on the packaging though. you on the other hand are so so good at it!

      Delete
  8. your little crocheted trees are just the darlingest! I love handmade pressies-- they are seriously the best, but i don't get a lot of them, sadly :( I guess i need to meet more crafty people!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those yarn trees are so cute. I decided to make little ornaments for gifts this year as well; they ship so much better :) Know what you mean about the sending baked goods. I've only done that once and haven't done it since because you never know how it'll end up despite the best intentions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much! and oh yes! those baked goods just left me worrying day after day! :)

      Delete
  10. Adorable little crafts. I can see myself attempting this, but then having to add it to one of those "Pinterest Craft-fails" sites haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! haha and i know what you mean! i have had many of those pinterest fails! :)

      Delete
  11. Your gifts are so thoughtful. I love that they have meaning and purpose behind them. And this year's DIY is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is just absolutely adorable. What a sweet, thoughtful gift (and your cards are beautiful)!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a beautiful package to receive, from handmade ornament to card to tags!! Very beautifully done!!!! Hm....the most meaningful Christmas present....actually, my most memorable gift was a birthday gift because I thought I was getting an iPod nano (since the hubs kept mentioning the pretty colors the Nano came in and then went to Target at 6am on Black Friday). He tricked me and got an iPod touch instead. Surprises always stick with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! aww so sweet of your husband! surprises are really the best! when people remember what you wanted :)

      Delete
  14. you are so good at this. the yarn pine trees are perfectly adorable.
    I also love the notion that you sent kid's books. That is really a great memento and treasure. =)
    xo,
    nancy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those trees are just too cute jane! They are going to love them! What you did in the past was fabulous also. An older lady at a past job, crocheted me an afghan blanket. It keeps me warm every winter. I love it.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my gosh! that sounds like a wonderful gift!

      Delete
  16. The level of thought and effort that went into these is amazing - I love handmade gifts! I'm sure the recipients will be thrilled :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. these are too cute. I don't do xmas anymore. don't have any particularly good xmas memories either. there might be a connection there. or there might not. anyhow, it's so sweet that you are going to so much trouble to send little presents to everyone :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't celebrate Christmas, but I always join to my friends celebrating, sharing the closeness and joy together (and food:)). Baking is my thing and if I have to choose something I really like to gift that would be some baked goods, specially the cookies. I m a bit into crocheting and knitting as well, but I m not that self confident about my skills to gift the others (-: Urs look beautiful! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm sure they will love anything you make them! :)

      Delete
  19. Those tree ornaments are so lovely! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are always so crafty and talented! These are awesome gifts for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So that is what is happening to the trees!! Oh how truly lovely. This year we are not sending Christmas cards but will send New Year's cards - not because we are being traditional - but because I have been woefully forgetful :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! ha! and i have had years when i sent new year's cards instead of christmas! :)

      Delete
  22. Awww, those trees look adorable! Great job Jane

    ReplyDelete
  23. The trees are so so so adorable! They would look great on the tree as an ornament or around the house, you're so sweet sending gifts along with your cards! :) Gosh, the question is so hard because I have too many, one of my favorite memories from Christmas is when I was able to spend time with my auntie and cousins that live far away and also the smile when I read the letter the Three Kings (Spanish version of Santa, kind of) sent me each year telling me how happy they were with the things I have done right that year, that was a blast :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! and that is such a sweet memory of your childhood!

      Delete
  24. This is such a SWEET gift! I especially love the blue trees :]

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Winding Ridge Lane . Design by Fearne.