January 19, 2015

Lots of finishing, restarting and maintaining.


The weekend was spent finishing projects, finding joy in long lost interests and maintaining what we have always done right. 

I started a knitting project a few weeks back. A shawl for those cold mornings while I finish my coffee and for those quick runs to get the mail. I didn't work off of a pattern, rather just off of a feeling. I messed up {of course}, plowed on anyway {always regret doing this but I'm a repeat offender} and had to take the whole thing apart after going through 4 balls of yarn. It was terrible. But I bravely cast on again and after a few more bumpy rows the shawl is finally finished. Despite not really knowing what I was doing, I like the result. I knew it would curl a bit at the end and on the sides since I was using stockinette stitches, but it still is one of my favorite knits to date. 

Our s-size hooks finally came in the mail and we hung our pots and pans and freed up some space in the kitchen. Something still is feeling a little slightly off and I think it may take a couple rearrangements to finally find a look that feels right. 

I felt the urge to turn pages again and picked up a book I haven't picked up since last July {or August?}. It's called The King's Mistress by Emma Campion. I have had a thing with medieval tales and such since being introduced to it since high school and I'm always looking for a novel from that time period. I've enjoyed quite a few, but nothing has really read like an all time favorite of mine, The Mists of Avalon. That was such a great book. 

I also watched a lot of anime. I don't talk a lot about my interest in anime here but I enjoy them immensely. I watched the beautifully drawn The Tale of Princess Kaguya and rewatched a a few episodes of an old favorite, Rurouni Kenshin. I sometimes wish anime would be left as anime and not remade into live action because I think it gets awkward and cheesy. I held off watching the live action version of Rurouni Kenshin but gave it a go this weekend and it ended up being better than I expected. Phew. I always like it when something turns out better, don't you?

I also began to crochet my sunburst granny squares again. I've been in a major funk with this project, and while it felt weird to pick up a crochet hook again, it felt good finishing a few rounds. 

We cooked a whole lot and went back to making some favorite side dishes we enjoyed making since being more active in the kitchen. They are my favorite - an array of namul {or seasoned vegetable dishes}. Yangkyu and I took turns cooking and doing the dishes and the whole process just went much faster. I commented on how amazing and nimble moms were in the kitchen, and generally all over the house, and out. This reaffirmed my belief that all moms really do have some sort of superpowers. 

How did you spend your weekend? 

Did it include a joy in finishing a project started long ago? Or a reaffirmation of picking up an old goal. Perhaps doing something tried and true. 

Whichever it was, I hope it felt great. 

14 comments

  1. Good job on that shawl Jane! And I love the foods that you made. Looks super yummy! I want to start making gyoza again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your homelife looks so blissful Jane. And is that kimchi stew I spy? It's one of my favourite food in the winter months. YUM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm such a die hard Kenshin fan, ah the name alone brings back such memories!! I haven't watched the live action YET for the same reason; I'm hesitant to see it turned...

    What an active weekend you have had!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cooked so much this weekend but it's such a stress reliever for me. Plus my aunt made us a load of homemade kimchi that I brought home with me so win-win!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always loved seeing photos of the knitting you're working on because it makes me want to pick up my knitting needles! Also, I love medieval tales too. Let us know what you think once you finish The King's Mistress!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah!! Looks like the most incredible weekend you!! Love the yarn happenings and the food!!! Life is good!! Have a great week Jane! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. All that food looks so good and I agree Mums are super heros! Your shawl is super pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The food.....I want to come and eat with you, haha!! Darling pictures, so wonderful :))))) Hope your week has started off well Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! Your dinner looks so tasty. The shawl looks very cozy! I know the feeling all too well of making mistakes and just plowing away -- I did just that over the weekend. I'm crocheting a yellow cable throw/blanket & I realized after about 8 rows that I messed up a little...but I didn't go back and fix it. I kept going. I'm a repeat offender as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like every other crochet project to me! I'm awful with pattern so I always just go with what I feel...Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't! I did finally get a shawl I loved out of it, though! My recent project is a blanket. So far I'm not loving my color scheme but like you... plowing on anyway, not sure if I'll like the result!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i'm terrible with finishing projects, that's why our place is half done, my bike has no handle bars and our carpet needs fitting. not enough hours in the day. sounds good, glad you ploud through on the knitting front. All sounds good in your household.

    Buckets & Spades

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that you're doing the things YOU love & enjoy Jane! That's what's so important in life!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always enjoy your pictures around the house. And that kimchi soup and mandu look so delicious! You enjoy watching anime too?? That makes me feel better...I'm a huge anime fan/watcher and currently on the search for some new ones to get hooked into. I'll look into your recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That shawl looks completely amazing! And I do the same thing...I make a mistake and instead of addressing it right away I just plow through...usually to my regret!

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Winding Ridge Lane . Design by Fearne.