January 4, 2015

My first cable knit hat.


During the last weeks of December I received my Cascade Magnum yarns that I ordered {on impulse} and among them was this gold color that I had big fancy dreams for -- cable knits. 

I used a pattern I found on Ravelry and I began to knit 2  and purl 2 and knit 2  and purl 2. It created a beautiful, chunky ribbing. I love chunky ribbings. And I felt that this was a beginning of something wonderful.


Then came the cables. They were easy enough to create and they came in amazing swirls that I felt with my fingertips after finishing every few rows. 

I thought, "Wow. I'm really knitting up these cables."

It wasn't even a year ago when I couldn't even finish a simple scarf because I didn't know how to cast off let alone do proper knit and purl stitches. But here I was creating these delicious cables. It's an amazing feeling when you find out you can actually accomplish something you thought you couldn't. 


The decrease rounds were a bit tricky as I ended up not having the same amount of stitches to work with as listed in the pattern {probably because I cast on 56 stitches and not 58} but I loved how it turned out anyway. And I love wearing it in two ways - with the ribbing folded and not. 


The pattern I found is here. I followed along to create the large size hat but the correct pattern is updated in the comments section. It says to cast on 58 stitches but I ended up casting 56. I used US Size 13, 9MM knitting needles and Cascade Magnum Yarn in Gold. 

23 comments

  1. it looks professionally made! i love the colour so much too. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah thank you~~ i'm glad it appears that way :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful, the shade is so vibrant and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! i love that the color is vibrant too! much needed as we get into the colder drearier months!

      Delete
  3. Wow! You're becoming a pro with knitting! I love the color of the hat, perfect to brighten a white snowy day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard that cable knitting is pretty intense so BRAVO to you for getting it done and it looks so wonderfully fluffy and warm and inviting. Great job, Jane!!! Please let me know where you got this yarn? in store? online?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks lisa! I usually get my cascade magnum yarn at yarn.com but this one I bought at www.fabulousyarn.com because they were selling them for slightly cheaper. but the order was backordered and took forever to come. i didn't mind because i wasn't in a rush but i didn't get an update on my order until i emailed them weeks after i bought them. so not sure about shipping and such but i still got them delivered eventually. hope this is helpful!

      Delete
  5. Amazing! You blog always wants to go to the nearby store to pick up some needles and start knitting! I used to crochet when I was younger but I haven't done it in such a long time. I want to pick up knitting since I want to make a HUGE cable knit but I don't know if I can tackle it. Eventually though. Happy New Year Jane!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I meant to say huge cable knit blanket**

      Delete
  6. I love the way your hat turned out and it's such a lovely color! I've just realized that your blog name changed and I'm catching up on posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jane -- can you please consider opening an etsy shop? I'd buy your yarn creations in a heartbeat :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. it's cute and i really love the color!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. That yellow gold color is amazing. I have been into yellow. You did a great job with knitting, turned out really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You blow me away with everything you seem to quickly "whip" up I don't know how you do it - everything always looks super perfect too! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. this reminds me that i need to start knitting my first hat!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Literally looks like you bought this in a store, I'm so amazed!! And that yarn looks SO SOFT I can seriously feel it just looking at it haha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really LOVE this, Jane! I think it looks so amazing! I still haven't tackled cable knitting, but I will once I have the time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so cute!! I love the color; it'll definitely be a beautiful hat!!

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Winding Ridge Lane . Design by Fearne.