February 27, 2015

At least chew slower?


One of the best things about being at Punta Cana was how everything and everyone kept me doing things at the slow pace. I'm notorious for doing everything in a rush - I think it's  remnant of a habit I picked up during the days when I used to work. Every day felt like I literally had no time to get everything done. 

During breakfast one morning I went up to get ours seats. There were lots of people and a bit of commotion everywhere and when it was finally my turn I quickly said, "Hello. Table for two please." The lady behind the podium in charge of seating people remained composed and smiled and said ,"Hello. How are you?" I don't know why I felt so embarrassed but I smiled an apologetic smile and replied, "I'm doing great. How are you?" After that exchange I noticed it everywhere --- people always asking "How are you" before starting a conversation. I realized how that phrase had been missing in my dialogue for a long time. I got into the habit of saying it more during those short days away. 

Another thing I noticed was that I was actually chewing my food. People who know me well know that I chew maybe twice or three times before swallowing. Again a remnant of a bad habit I'm still trying to shake off. But while at Punta Cana I chewed, at first counting in my head to fifty, like a little child, and then subconsciously doing it on my own. While in the Dominican Republic, Yangkyu and I enjoyed some of our longest meals ever together. 

Unfortunately I'm back to my old habits again. Of course I ask "How are you" to folks over text or email but I don't think I say it often in actual face to face conversations. And I'm not chewing again. I'm gobbling everything up. I at least want to get back into the habit of chewing and eating my meals more slowly. 

Do you have a trick? I'd love to get in on it if you do. 

This weekend we're saying good-bye to our 8-week old Westie guest, Nala, and welcoming back Napoleon, the mini doxie, for one night. He's become a regular at Piri's Place. 

Have a lovely weekend! 

17 comments

  1. nice reminder to slow down a bit in every aspect of our lifes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sales clerks are always surprised when they ask me how are you and I ask them back. I've talked to a few of them about it and they tell me it's really rare for people to do that. I think the hustle and bustle of life can make us really insular as well as abrupt. I always eat slower when I eat with others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. such good reminders about "slowing down."

    Interestingly enough, the husband taught me (indirectly) about addressing people. I noticed whenever we went somewhere and he dealt with someone, he always acknowledged the person (by name if the person was wearing a name tag) and asked how he/she was doing before he went about the transaction/business. He never told me about it or asked me to do the same but it was such a distinct difference in interaction that it made me appreciate the time he was tasking to make someone else feel...well...like a person. We get caught up in doing things so fast and having "prompt service" that we all forget that everyone of us are human and the little things make a difference. =D

    xo,
    nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the photos Jane! I actually don't notice how fast or slow I chew but I think I'm going to be thinking about it a lot from now on. Haha. And I know what you mean. I don't always ask a person how are they and I feel a bit bad after the fact. So guilty but I'm learning everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how seemingly small that is to ask but how it changed your whole outlook, I'm going to try and remember to ask people that - I have a habit of doing things too quickly too :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Life is so fast. I've learned to slow down over the past couple of years. I've learned to enjoy things.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Slowing down is so important and you are right we don't do it as much as we should. And the chewing thing...I'm the worst! I am often rushed eating over the sink sometimes and like you lately I have been consciously trying to sit down and chew! Wishing you a slow weekend friend!! Here is to taking in the little things!! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. This place looks perfect, slowing down is a wonderful feeling, not one I get to to very often, but grand when I do. It's important to remember it during the days :)) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will have to remember this! It's not only important to be polite, but also just nice. It really goes a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have these same bad habits as well, especially not slowing down to eat. I've been reminded many times that it's very important to put down my utensils after I take a bite of food which should remind me to slow down. I seem to only be able to do this on the weekends though :( I'll have to be more mindful during the week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. im amazed at people who eat at a lighting speed like it seems they dont even chew before swallowing!! lol
    its true that daily busy routines have made us finish up our food fast. so you definitely must try to enjoy the food once in a while when you're not in a rush :D

    sydsense.blogspot.com


    sydsense.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Jane! Yes, the "how are you?" exchange isn't very common amongst strangers, especially in DC where people are rushing. I always try to greet salespeople/cashiers/wait-staff/etc. with "hello, how are you?" just to set a good tone. As for chewing, I'm horrible. Ever since I was a kid & just wanting to play outside. But it's come in handy because I gotta eat fast to keep up with the kids ;).

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't really notice that I don't ask how are you until someone cuts me off of my point and asks me how I am. Lol like you, I smile apologetically and then say I'm great and ask them the same. It makes me more self aware that such a simple thing can go such a long way. So when I remember, I make sure to say it because as you said it's important to take your time sometimes. Gotta learn the chewing thing though lol because I wolf down my food like I haven't eaten in YEARS!

    ReplyDelete
  14. for some reason i try to swollow food as quickly as possible too, i'm not a savorer, and a scoffer. the saying how are you thing to me doesn't really bother me. if someone doesn't say it i really don't hide, likewise the other way. you have to do the stop-and-chat thing then, but i prefer to say just a "hi" if i don't want to talk.

    Buckets & Spades

    ReplyDelete
  15. We also are always in such a rush here, but when travelling to the US, UK or Japan I've noticed how people ask "how are you?" before asking or starting any conversation which feels so nice. I've tried to adopt it here, although sometimes you get a blank face as an answer, hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just got back from my week long vacation..It's back to reality of trying to do everything at once. I'm trying so hard to slow myself down...it's hard. The minute I landed, I started mentality listing what I need to get done this weekend. I wish I can be on vacation forever and not care about time..or laundry..or cooking...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know what you mean. I'm really bad at consciously chewing, I need to do better at it too.

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Winding Ridge Lane . Design by Fearne.