November 5, 2015

That is one lazy dog


The other day, Yangkyu and I took a 2 hour walk around the neighborhood and we brought Piri along. Piri can still go on walks but he gets tired easily and so his carrier is helpful -- he gets to enjoy the outdoors with us for long periods of time while walking and resting.

It was a beautiful day and we laughed and chatted about everything and anything. Then at the tail end of our walk a runner stopped us and said "that is one lazy dog!" I quickly responded by saying "he's old." I expected an apology or a "my bad" or "oh, I wouldn't have thought to think that." But all he said was "oh really?"

Yangkyu and I silently walked on, pushing Piri in his carrier. And then at the same time we both remarked how rude he was.

It was really his bluntness more than anything. Did he really feel the need to stop mid-run to point out the fact that our dog was lazy?

I get that not a lot of folks would think that senior and special needs pets rely on carriers to help with their mobility. But it does still bother me that people judge in the most demeaning of ways. To me, they come off a bit superior like "I would never do such a thing" like pamper a dog like he was a baby. I'm irritated that that is the first thing they think of, instead of "oh maybe the dog is old or maybe the dog needs support."

Perhaps I'm a bit more sensitive to simple judgement making.

Years ago. a bunch of Korean schoolgirls called my mom a mi chin yeon. That roughly translates into "crazy bitch." We were on a public bus that got a bit too crowded when school let out and my mom got flustered and angry and began to push people out of her way to get off the bus. I followed quietly behind and then I heard it. I was young and embarrassed. But as soon as I got off the bus, I was pissed. Those girls didn't know that the lady they called a mi chin yeon was my mom. They didn't know that we were together. They didn't know that my mom was battling a mental illness that made her flustered and angry and act out of character. To them she was just a mi chin yeon pushing people around.

That was a turning point for me to try and never judge. Of course I have though. There probably have been many times when I have judged and probably didn't even realize I did it.

But even with this guy who said the lazy dog remark -- that whole time when I was walking silently right after, I was thinking of different possibilities of how his remark might not have been ill intentioned.

But in the end it still bothered me.

Perhaps if we gave some thought before judging or laughing or remarking.. perhaps if we were a bit more self aware that what we know to be normal and true is so small compared to all the other experiences and truths out there...

Yes.

Wouldn't that be nice?

2 comments

  1. I lived reading your article. I recently had a large dog that was very unwell, he recently died. I had real trouble getting to the vets and back as taxi drivers seem very un keen to allow dogs where I live (Bristol UK).
    I now have a smaller breed puppy who can't walk on the pavements until l he's had all his vaccinationson, just bought a strolley for him first the vets trIpswich and will be safe in the knowledge it's on hand for emergencies or old age. I know people will think I'm odd for this but I know it's just practical as I don't drive.
    Well done you for looking after your dog so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lived reading your article. I recently had a large dog that was very unwell, he recently died. I had real trouble getting to the vets and back as taxi drivers seem very un keen to allow dogs where I live (Bristol UK).
    I now have a smaller breed puppy who can't walk on the pavements until l he's had all his vaccinationson, just bought a strolley for him first the vets trIpswich and will be safe in the knowledge it's on hand for emergencies or old age. I know people will think I'm odd for this but I know it's just practical as I don't drive.
    Well done you for looking after your dog so well.

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Winding Ridge Lane . Design by Fearne.