January 28, 2016

Heart Check + a little something about life with (senior) dogs


Piri had his appointment with the cardiologist yesterday. Frankly, it was an appointment I was dreading. And while I didn't think I was, I am pretty sure I was nervous the entire time there because as soon as the doctor told us the good news that Piri's heart isn't all that bad, I let out a huge sigh of relief and gently collapsed on to my chair and the examining table. That sounded pretty dramatic. It wasn't. I promise. 

So what does this mean? 

Well, we still have to monitor his breathing. We also have to bring him in to our primary vet so that he can get blood work done to re-check his kidney levels. 

This is our second hurdle. 

We are just hoping that his kidneys will be able to withstand and filter out all the anesthesia so that he can get work done in his mouth to remove the lump and also his infected tooth. 

I can't imagine what more I could want or expect from Piri after this is over. He has proven time and time again to be resilient against his kidney disease, has come around and proved that his heart isn't all that bad (we found out that his hacking cough isn't because of his heart but his lungs, but it isn't a bad sign at this point) and is hanging in there despite what is happening inside his mouth. All at the age of 16. Who needs all this crap happening when you're old. Poor guy. 

Yangkyu and I were talking about our retirement on our way back home from Piri's appointment - our current savings, although small and humble, will be used when we are old and grey. Piri was in that narrative. Yes, Piri the Zombie Dog. 

Around this time of year, for the past couple of years, we have been afforded the chance to get away to a resort - two years ago it was to Jamaica, and last year to Punta Cana. This year it was to Cancun but I passed on the opportunity to go as I have decided to not go on international travel or travel domestically (unless it is to a dog friendly place) for the time being. I just can't leave Piri and leave. So instead Yangkyu went with his friend. He brought back a colorful blanket and yummy treats. I wasn't sure how people would take my giving up travel for Piri but when I shared on Instagram, so many folks resonated and agreed and have done the same. Sometimes I get scared of the judgement people may pass at the things I do for Piri (like Jane goes way too overboard.. you need to live your life too.. he's just a dog...). But I find myself wanting to spend more and more time with me rather than away. Not that I am asking for permission, but I hope it's something that people will understand. 

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Winding Ridge Lane . Design by Fearne.