February 23, 2016

We're crazy for Piri


I'm finding myself hanging out a lot at treat aisles in pet stores. I look at each bag and read the nutritional values to see if it's something that Piri can have, even if it's just a little piece of a piece. Anything that has protein levels higher than 10% I pass. Anything chicken I pass. I worry about phosphorous content and my logic tells me to stick with lamb and beef treats {if I'm looking at treats with meat in them}. And I sometimes think of the time when I didn't need to do this. And sometimes I am envious of people who can give their dogs all those good high protein level treats. And I wish I gave Piri more of them when he was younger and healthier.

In the past, I never really splurged on dog things. I always got things for Piri that he needed, and yes we did spoil him here and there, but it was never excessive. The only thing I can remember being a bit obsessive over was his bed. I think we went through quite a lot of those since he came to live with me when he was 7 years old.

But with other things he always had just one and we took good care of that one. He had 1 sweater {which we retired recently and replaced with his white one}, 1 shirt, 1 blanket, 1 bowl each for his water, wet food and dry food, which was free feeding, one lead and harness {which we switched out once he got smelly because it got wet from rainy walks], and shoes {which we also switched out once they were worn out}. There was never double, triple, quadruple of anything, except toys, which he had a fair selection of. 

But now, aside from coming home with bags of treats, I come home with blankets, toys, clothes, accessories and the works. We now have 4 beds, 5 blankets, 2 sweaters, 1 jacket, 3 shirts, 5 bandanas, 3 harnesses, 2 leads, holidays accessories, a lot of bowls and so on and so forth. 

Some things like bowls, blankets and beds I guess make sense since they are also used by our Piri's Place guests. Toys, clothes, harness and leads, we have seen comes in handy with our guests. But I am definitely seeing a shift in the way I consume dog related products. And there are so many good ones out there now that I didn't know about {or probably didn't exist} 8, 9 years ago. This is really the only area where I bend the rules a little bit in my ongoing effort to try and embrace minimalism. 

And when I'm feeling a little guilty for either overspending or bending the minimalist rule, Yangkyu is always there to say, "hey, it's for Piri, right?" 

Oh gee, we're so crazy for him. 

PS -- Aside from the writing, this blog post became a dump site for photos taken in the past week or so that were trying to find its rightful place in this space. :)

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Winding Ridge Lane . Design by Fearne.