August 25, 2016

A quick make over for the blog

So I decided not to go down the route of getting my own domain name and host and switching over to Wordpress. Cost wise it just didn't make sense. So instead I decided to give the blog a little make over {template is Orianna by Ferne Creative Design}.

For some reason it took a while to figure out the coding for this template. Other templates I've used were pretty straight forward but this one I had scratch my head a couple of times to figure it out but once I did it was simple enough. The only thing that is still giving me trouble is the Instagram feed that is supposed to show up on the bottom of the blog, which it isn't for some reason. But I'll get there. Ferne Creative Design offers support in installing the theme should you need it - I just chose to do it myself.

I finished setting everything up today and also managed to go through all 982 of my blog posts and cleaning up the labels so the posts get filtered properly and show up where they are supposed to show up in the menu and sub-menu categories. That was a painful process. I remember in Wordpress, it's set up so that you can edit the labels without having to click on the actual post but in Blogger, YOU HAVE TO CLICK ON EVERY SINGLE POST AND and then make yourself back to the page you were on to make changes to all your other blog posts. I had 10 pages worth of blog posts and so imagine the nightmare. 

But it's over. It's all cleaned up and I have a major backache. 

I am hoping that this change will help me get back in the game of blogging. 

It was funny when I was making the label changes and going back to my earlier posts {some were really embarrassing - like.. why in the world did I talk like that and write like that?}. But going through each post made me see my own evolution - my speaking voice changing, at first trying so hard to fit in and finally finding my voice and my comfort zone and maturing into this space. 

Anyway, while I wish to plug away more in front of the computer, my neck and back won't let me. So for now this will have to do. 

I'll be back. Tomorrow. Hopefully. With a fresher neck and back. And new posts to boot.

18 comments

  1. Love this new layout Jane! simple and easy to navigate, and most of all clean! looking forward to more posts :)
    www.samanthamariko.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. this new layout is so cute! looking forward to more posts! will you enable the disqus comment again though?

    there's an easy way to label/un-label in blogspot though (using the tick box). the instafeed is rather confusing but it's so easy to customize once you get the hang of it. if you're trying to get user id go to http://www.otzberg.net/iguserid/ . probably you need to authenticate your IG. if so, go here https://www.instagram.com/developer/authentication/

    i hope it helps!

    xx http://tanaditya.co.vu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so much! I definitely needed to get the user id and it totally works now. I am most likely not bringing back disqus :(

      Delete
    2. i'm glad i could help! as long as i can drop some lovin' to your cute family then it's fine xx

      Delete
  3. Jane the new layout looks great and oh wow, manually going through 982 posts - eep, you're a superwomen! It's fun to be able to take note of the evolution, your blog is always so beautiful and I'm sure if I went back those 982 post I would still think so as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks :) I still can't believe how long I've been doing this. All my past ones only lasted a few months. It's nice to see a snippet of my life curated in this way :)

      Delete
  4. I agree with the comments above, Jane:) I love the new layout. Clean and easy to navigate. And ehrmagerd! I don't think I have the patience to do what you did in terms of editing the post labels (which I frankly need to do).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I think I was literally a zombie by the time I was done!

      Delete
  5. LOVE this layout Jane!! Might have to check out that shop! I'm so over designing blogger layouts! haha I've been wanting to switch to Squarespace, but I just can't with the cost right now.... a new template will have to hold me over for now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I am going to ask out on a limb if you do custom headers? Christine (below a few comments down) was asking and I immediately thought of you!

      Delete
  6. Looks great Jane! Sometimes a little refresh is all we need to get us going again ;D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your new layout! I've been thinking about switching to Wordpress but I can't deal with all the changes and headaches it will give me lol.

    For now, I'm happy with blogger.

    P.S. do you know anyone that can design a custom header without breaking the bank? Been thinking about getting it done. Thanks Jane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine! I thought of Jessica from the Creative Index right away but not sure if she does custom headers and not sure what her rates are. I will let you know!

      Delete
  8. Love the new template and pictures Jane! It looks so good! I have to do the same. Not looking forward to it. LOL But it has to happen. It makes you feel so much better.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! It does make you feel so much better. So much more organized. Ugh. It was a long time coming and I'm so glad I got it over and done with. I am never messing around with labels again! lol

      Delete

Latest Instagrams

© Winding Ridge Lane . Design by Fearne.