August 28, 2016

Now Playing: Mood Indigo


CHEEZE was one of those groups I came across while looking for Korean indie groups to listen to. While all their songs weren't to my liking, a few were, like this song, Mood Indigo, released in May of this year. 

CHEEZE is a two-person group, a girl and a guy in their mid to late twenties, and they formed in 2010 while they were still in college. They are "sun(bae)/hoobae sa ee" -- which means, in this case, the guy was her upper classman (sunbae) and the girl is a grade younger (hoobae). Sa ee literally means "between", which would mean the relationship between these two people are sunbae and hoobae. In Korean, the phrase is read as "sun/hoobae sa ee" even though the full word for upper classman is sunbae. This is because sunbae is shortened to just "sun" since a similar word "hoobae" which has the same ending, comes right after it. 

I caught an interview they did with Huffington Post Korea and it was explained that the name of their group was meant to give off the feeling of bait (I assume like how cheese is a bait to a mouse or I guess to any cheese lover), but their friends thought the meaning was "cheese" like what people say while smiling to take a picture. It was then he realized that their name can take on different meanings.

The song title, Mood Indigo, is taken from a French movie with the same name (released in 2013 and directed by Michel Gondry). CHEEZE said in a separate interview that the movie did not inspire them to write the song but their naming of the song as Mood Indigo was a suggestion from their entertainment agency. Since the song's melody had similar vibes and colors as the movie, they decided to name the song Mood Indigo. Their official music video also shows clips from the movie. 

CHEEZE followed up the release of Mood Indigo with a mini album titled Q in June and have been busy spending the past few months performing at music festivals, participating in a live music show on TV and holding a three-day concert. 


Find them on Facebook


10 comments

  1. Oh my gosh! How adorable is this song?!?!? And now, I want to watch Mood Indigo. Can't believe I've never heard of this movie before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually want to watch this movie as well! I didn't hear of it until I came across this song.

      Delete
  2. Really cool group & song Jane. Love the meaning of their group >.<
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too. I think I would've also thought it meant the smile version and not bait. When he said that it was supposed to have the feeling of bait I thought it was so interesting -- just came across something that not a majority of people would think. Very artsy kinda mindset :)

      Delete
  3. Aww, I am a big fan of the actor in the video, Romain Duris. I will look up this film. Interesting how they were inspired by the movie name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am interested in the film as well. I unfortunately don't know the male actor but am familiar with Audrey Tautou.

      Delete
  4. So cute, I love it! Had never heard of them before. Hope you are well & have a great day xx

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Winding Ridge Lane . Design by Fearne.