August 30, 2016

Seng Hwal Hanbok





I came across this modern take on Hanbok on Pinterest and couldn't stop crushing on them! They are known as "seng hwal hanbok" (seng hwal meaning life and hanbok, which is what they call traditional Korean dresses). 

If you've ever seen pictures of Hanbok you would know from the colors and the design and detail that it is more of a formal wear now. But way back in the day, Hanbok was also a daily wear before a more westernized fashion look took over. It is obviously not worn every day by Koreans now, but designer Chai Young-Jin Kim has been making a line of hanbok that is meant to be worn as a day to day, hence the name "seng hwal hanbok." Chai Kim apparently has also done costume design work for film. And I was pleasantly surprised that I have seen it -- "Love, Lies", featuring Han Hyo-Joo. 

I absolutely love hanbok. I had actually wanted to do "jun tong hon le" (Korean traditional wedding ceremony), over a white wedding gown ceremony just so I could wear hanbok all throughout my ceremony.

I remember having few hanbok dresses growing up, which were worn mostly during Lunar New Year celebrations when we formally bow to our elders and get allowance in return. I remembering wearing one during my kindergarden Winter Concert. Students were grouped together to do different types of performances and I happened to be in the fan dance category, wearing hanbok, of course (I was terrible at it btw -- I still have the VHS tape to prove it).

Anyway, the last time I wore a hanbok was for my wedding -- during our engagement shoot and when we held paebaek after our ceremony.

I wouldn't have any use for hanbok now but I always told Yangkyu that it would be nice to have one custom made to keep and hold. I think I'd like to add to that wish and also have a pair (or two or three) of seng hwal hanbok as well. I love the layers and the fabric, patterns and block colors as well. I love the simplicity and the flow. When my style gravitates towards these looks, I sometimes wonder if I was born in the wrong generation. But I'm so glad for designers like Chai Kim who bring these looks back for newer generations to experience. 

Find Chai Kim and her work on her blog, Instagram and Facebook


 // All images from Chai Kim's Facebook page



20 comments

  1. I love them! So beautiful and modern :) Would love to see you wearing it Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this updated take on the hanbok! It's lovely how it looks modern yet retains a traditional feel. Clicking over to check out more of this designer's work...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! This take on the hanbok is just lovely, Jane. I remember seeing this YouTuber wearing the traditional hanbok to go to Gyeongbokgung with her friend, and they just looked so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. have you heard of leesle? they make casual hanbok too and albeit their market is mostly youth, their collection is lovely. i love their coat. do check it out, jane! http://leesle.co.kr/index.html

    xx http://tanaditya.co.vu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! i have! i've come across a few of their things while i was on pinterest! :)

      Delete
  5. I love this resurgence in hanbok. There are a few designers doing this these days. I think they're so beautiful. Chuseok and Seollal are my favorite times to be in Korea because it's so nice to see people heading to visit family wearing beautiful hanbok. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my God this hanbok is so beautiful! And you do look perfect in it! <3 <3

    PS: I thought I was writing this comment on my own blog, but later I realized that we have exactly the same layout! Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute! You would look great in one! Do you think you can sew one using your sewing machine? I've been wanting to sew a simple dress for myself but I haven't been able to get around to even touching my sewing machine in months :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i wish i had the skills and the talent to make something similar. i would literally wear it on the daily :) i haven't touched my sewing machine in ages too. i actually haven't made things in a while. each day i tell myself today is the day but i keep passing.. hopefully today! :)

      Delete
  8. Those dresses are GORGEOUS! I wish I could have the skirt part. LOL It's so beautiful. I love the colors as well.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh they are so sweet her take on them, could definitely see you rockin' the casual hanbok look :) :)

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Winding Ridge Lane . Design by Fearne.