March 16, 2017

Piri's medications


I still have all of Piri's old medications. They don't particularly bring me good memories, but I can't bring myself to throw them out. They are Piri's old chemo support and kidney disease related medicine. They still sit inside zip lock bags in our doggy medicine basket, even after 5 months since he crossed the rainbow bridge. 

Every time we have guest dogs leave we take a 1-2 week break so that I can rest and clean the house. Every time I clean I also declutter and get rid of things we don't need. I always take a look inside the medicine basket and take this zip lock bag out wondering if that is the day when I can bring myself to finally throw it away. But I never can. 

Instead, I take out each bottle and remember all the times Piri took them with a brave face or when he didn't want to take any and I had to find the most creative way of giving it to him. When Piri got sicker pill pockets no longer worked and he learned how to pick them out of chicken. He never liked cheese or peanut butter. In the end, I resorted to spam and sausages and I hated myself for it. They aren't good for healthy dogs and even worse for a sick dog.

The expiration dates on some of them, especially his chemo support medicine, are coming up and so I decided that will be when I will get rid of them. I'll have to bring them to our vet's office to see if they can safely throw it out there so it doesn't end up being a hazard to the environment and animals (a tip that a good Instagram friend shared -- we always brought sub-q fluid needles back to our vet's office but I didn't think to do the same for medications). 

Piri's birthday is coming up in a few days and so my heart has been having these numb aches. And I have been looking at his pictures and videos more wishing he was still here. 

What a profound imprint Piri made on my heart. I miss you my sweet dear Piri.

2 comments

  1. Jane, I totally understand this. When my dad passed away, I remember my mom keeping all his meds long after he passed away and the meds have expired. I think it wasn't until the 5th year after he died that my mom was finally able to get rid of them.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got to do everything in your own time hey Jane - love to you guys!!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Winding Ridge Lane . Design by Fearne.