March 10, 2017

We're going to Korea


Yes! It's really happening. Yangkyu and I will be going to Korea in April. 

We bought our tickets a few weeks ago and we have been spending any free time we have building a list of places we want to visit. 

Even though Yangkyu and I are both from Korea (born there), we haven't got a clue to any of the places that are popular tourists spots. I haven't been to Korea since 1998 (19 years - and I immigrated to the US in 1986) and Yangkyu since 1994 (23 years - this is the year he immigrated and he hasn't been back since). And so you can see we are a bit outdated with our knowledge. 

Yangkyu's brother lives in Korea and his sister in law engaged some netizens in an online cafe to ask for recommendations on where we might go to eat and sightsee. The list was enormous. The Korean online community always seems to come together and pool their knowledge in the most amazing sort of way. We hope to spend some time in Seoul and nearby outskirts of the capital and Jeju Island. We thought to maybe squeeze in Busan as well but we most likely won't have time.

To help us get a better understanding of Korea now, Yangkyu has been showing me videos from the Korean Englishman YouTube channel. Have you guys seen any of them? They are absolutely hilarious and quite informative. What is most striking though is the love of everything Korea by Josh. It is endearing and touching when someone from a completely different country has this level of interest and love for another country's culture, language (he speaks amazing Korean) and traditions. 

Needless to say, Yangkyu and I are quite excited to be going. 

One of the first things we squared away though, even before purchasing our tickets, was ensuring good care for Bartles while we are away. It's stressful finding care for an elderly pet with medical issues (and one who has to take a lot of medications, supplements - some that require a bit more time and handling) but thankfully his former foster mom offered to look after him while we are away. HUGE relief. Bartles has been with her for 8 months and she is just an amazing dog person and so we are so thankful for her and her care. 

Our trip also isn't all about just sightseeing. We'll be going to visit family who we haven't seen in a long time. I'll visit my grandfather's gravesite and see my 92 year old grandmother who recently took ill and went to the hospital (she has since been discharged and is doing well). But my pops told me that he thinks her time is limited and because I wasn't able to see my grandfather before he passed, I wanted to make sure to see my grandmother before it was too late.

Originally we had planned on a Korea/Japan trip - 2 weeks in Korea and 1 week in Japan. But we can't bear to leave Bartles for 3 weeks. And so we have slated Japan for another time (we have been putting Japan on the back burner for so long that when we finally do get to Japan one of these days, we think it'll be just really freakin amazing).

Have a wonderful weekend everybody.

12 comments

  1. Awww...you guys will have lots of fun! Selfishly, I wish you were going to Japan. We are thinking of Japan/Taiwan next December and would have loved to see your recommendations. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your trip to Korea! I fell in love with Seoul when I visited a few years ago. Such a great city and I love Korean food.

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats, what a cool destination. I traveled there for a wedding a few years back and spent time in Seoul, Jeju Island, and Seorksan Nat'l Park. I didn't do a very thorough write up of my travels years back, but here's the link. http://veryveryquiet.blogspot.com/search/label/South%20Korea

    Jeju Island was quite beautiful and we primarily used the bus system to get around. If weather permits, rent scooters or a car, you will be thankful for it.

    In Seoul, I stayed in two different hotels in Gangnam. The subway there is so sophisticated, clean, and very easy to use. Can't wait to check back and see what you got into over there

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting! And even more meaningful since it means you and Yangkyu will be connecting with your family as well as your roots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so excited for you guys. You get to roam around your birth country together! :) Have fun.

    http://thewallflowersecrets.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh!! I'm so excited for you! This sounds like a trip of a lifetime in the making! :D I hope you guys have SUCH a great time there with lots of beautiful sights, getting together with family and just each others company. I'm already looking forward to all the stories and pictures!!

    I'd love to visit (South) Korea sometime too, so I'd love to read any of your recommendations when your back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woo! So exciting, Jane! I was telling mu husband awhile back that the two of us should go to Tokyo and Seoul when the kids are a bit older. So great to hear you're going back to see all the sites and visit family:) And yay that Bartles will be in good hands:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So. darn. exciting!!! Can't wait to see and hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jane, I went to Korea years ago with my family and we booked a group tour from Singapore. I can't remember the names of any of the places we went to but one place I'll never forget. It was a amusement park which had a indoor pool with some attractions. After swimming when we went to take a shower, we realised that Korean women shower in the open, stark naked. The other women kept gesturing to my daughter and I to strip it all off. It was hilarious. We chose a shower area as far away from other humans as possible and showered as quickly as possible. We were giggling our head off. We've never ever been naked in public before. Oh, we didn't go to Jeju but wished we had. I watched The Return of Superman and sometimes they visit Jeju and it looks very interesting, esp the seafood. I would love to go back to Korea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's fantastic, I hope you both enjoy yourselves x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooooh fun! Look at you guys, globetrotting all over the damn place :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. HOW FUN! Soooo excited for you guys and even more excited for your blog adventures! (I'm selfish and want to live vicariously through you guys :P) That youtube clip was so endearing - what a lovely dad and hey it made me want to visit Korea too!

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Winding Ridge Lane . Design by Fearne.