August 8, 2017

DIY with Hairpin Legs


After Bartles crossed the rainbow bridge, I thought to make a simple table for both Piri and Bartles' ashes and some of their things. We had some unused boards that were once used as shelves that could be repurposed into a tabletop and all we needed to do was to invest in some hairpin legs to give it a nice touch. 

I found some on Amazon and ordered them (height 24 inches). This particular seller sells hairpin legs in single quantities so that you don't always have to buy a set of four (some people use three, etc.). Silly me, I thought I could make a table using only 2 (since our board was long and not wide - sort of could pass for a bench if you ask me). 

The order wasn't qualified for Prime but it arrived in a timely manner nonetheless and I was excited to get started working on the table. Only... Yangkyu was a bit stumped. He didn't think the table would stand only on two hairpin legs. And we ran into the trouble of the board being too thin. The nails to hold the hairpin legs to the board would go straight through to the other side. We had multiple spare boards and thought to maybe glue and then nail them together so it would be thick enough but I just wasn't prepared for a project to turn out messy and sloppy especially when we paid for a good pair of table legs. 

And so, I ordered two more hairpins and patiently waited for their arrival. Yangkyu bought a new thicker board at Home Depot (around $25), cut into several pieces (we of course only used one piece and perhaps we'll use the leftover boards for some other project). I sanded the board down (all the boards actually in one go so I wouldn't have to bother later) and my arms and hands felt numb for a good hour. And we were finally ready to put the whole thing together.

I was scared that maybe the table will end up being wobbly or that it wouldn't look as nice as I had imagined. I didn't stain the board or paint it in any color. I like the natural wood. And everything turned out nice. It's become a favorite quick project that we did together. And I am in love with the hairpin look that I want to make another for downstairs. I even said, let's make our own eating table. But perhaps too many hairpins and it'll start to look a little ridiculous. And perhaps an eating table is a bit too ambitious.

While this was supposed to be an economical project and we were only supposed to pay for two hairpin legs, we ended up paying for four and a board. So it is kind of a bust when it comes to amount spent, but I really do like how it turned out.


4 comments

  1. Jane, all our "DIY" projects that are supposed to not cost anything always end up like this:D I love love love how this hairpin-legged table turned out. Would totally buy something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your table came out looking lovely! We've given up on DIYs because they always ending costing more and are far more laborious than we ever expect ;p

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww it's amazing Jane and yup you can totally make an eating table!!! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks so lovely! I think it's perfect for anything - working table, dining table. Anything.

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Winding Ridge Lane . Design by Fearne.